• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

What’s the rush? Team is trending up. Lots of young talent coming up. Money to spend in the offseason. No need to trade our top prospects.

Martin is making his pro debut in AA and has a .409 OBP. I’d give him more time before moving him. The lack of extra base power right now is concerning for sure but from what I’ve read about his barrel skills I think he could pop at any minute.
Not everyone in the lineup needs power. If this guy is a good hitter and can get in base at a high clip that’s super valuable to a power line up.
I think we hold onto Martin

orelvis Martinez (real young) and Gabe Moreno look promising as well

What’s the rush? Team is trending up. Lots of young talent coming up. Money to spend in the offseason. No need to trade our top prospects.

Exactly , this isnt the last run of a veteran team that has to win now

Also do you think Espinal can be an everyday 3B ?

Now isn't the time to trade top prospects because you pay a premium at the deadline and this is a 4th place team. I hope they consider it in the offseason, but only in exchange for youngish MLBers with some term or guys willing to extend. Right now they should probably stand pat or move some lesser prospects for bullpen help, just to make it more interesting. Plus get Pearson and Hatch in the BP as soon as possible.

Ryu and Springer are only getting older.

Ray and Semien are having dream seasons making the FO look genius.

Crazy that they would just let this season pass.
The rotation as a whole is overperforming as well. Ryu is the only really reliable guy and even he has been healthier than you can normally expect. Ray is having a career year (or very close to it) after being genuinely awful last year. Matz is having a nice bounceback. Stripling not great but exceeding expectations. Manoah is an unexpected surprise. Even if they could keep this group together next year, it would cost a lot more and quite likely be shakier.

Atrocious trade suggestion from fangraphs:

Toronto Blue Jays acquire P Craig Kimbrel from the Chicago Cubs for SS Kevin Smith, 3B Jordan Groshans, and IF Miguel Hiraldo

Smith has crushed Double-A pitching this year, so this is more about me being very high on his future than trying to give Kimbrel away relatively cheaply. ZiPS already gave Smith pretty good odds of peaking at league-average coming into the season and now sees a very good chance that he’ll be a three WAR or better player in his prime. He also really needs to be in the majors now yet is caught in a crunch with Marcus Semien and Bo Bichette above him and Orelvis Martinez coming up quickly behind. I suspect the Cubs are still hoping to retool rather than go full slash-and-burn, and Smith’s proximity to the majors helps them in that.

But no, I’m not giving the Cubs someone like Austin Martin or Alek Manoah. The Blue Jays have a definite need, with injuries thinning out a bullpen that was already top-heavy, but neither they nor any other team are desperate enough to give up that much for two months and an option year of an elite closer. At least I’m being more generous than the Padres were in acquiring Yu Darvish!

Oh cool, I didn't know we had a time machine to reverse 10 years off Kimbrel. Like, that's a deal you make for prime Kimbrel with 2-3 years of control left.

They say there is a "very good chance" that Smith will be a 3WAR or better player and yet the Jays should also toss in Groshans and Hiraldo for 2 months of Kimbrel, plus a $16M option for 2022. The option year is basically worthless--the Cubs might not even pick it up and anyway, you can get a lot of good relief pitching for $16M.

If that is anywhere near the market for RP, stay very far away.

Yeah, Kimberly looks good this year but he can't get an A prospect plus 2 B prospects imo.

Smith is a particularly bad option to trade I think because there's no way his trade value has caught up to what he's doing this year.

Imo we should be dealing from our Hall of "good/young but not really that good/young" - Biggio, Gurriel, Jansen.

I think they should just wait, aside from maybe adding one or two bullpen depth arms with fringey roster guys. See how close they can get this year with the youngsters. Then trade some prospects in the offseason for controllable guys. Take a risk on Syndergaard at something like 3/60 plus options. Dump Grichuk for anything and spend the money in the bullpen. Could be interesting next year.

Back