• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

I've seen a few breakdowns done on this and the gist seems to be that Rogers is trying to keep the Jays from paying a significant amount into the kitty for revenue share. MLB teams pay 48% of their local TV deal revenue into the sharing pot and the Jays aren't eligible to receive any of that back on account of they're having the largest market in MLB and all (Canada = Big). So the people are Rogers "negotiate" the right sized TV deal to keep MLB off of their backs, but not big enough that they're sending money out the door towards revenue sharing. The way Rogers sees it, they don't give a fuck which business line generates that extra money as long as they can keep it. So to their way of thinking, for the Jays to generate the amount of revenue they should (estimates vary, but it's a significant additional amount..50-80M or more annually), Rogers would lose 48% of that to revenue sharing...so instead of the Jays getting an extra ~25-40M to play with every year (which is really the difference between what Rogers has paid and what we wish they would pay), they see it as losing a big pile of money outside of the organization, so the baseball team gets fucked.

So if you had to ballpark what % of the weaker teams like TB revenue come from revenue share and or luxury tax

So if you had to ballpark what % of the weaker teams like TB revenue come from revenue share and or luxury tax

Apparently Tampa gets 50-60 million in revenue sharing dollars in most years. Pre covid total revenue was in the 230-250 range. So about 20-25% of their revenue comes from sharing.

Sort of

year—attendance rank

2019-22nd
2018–13th
2017–5th
2016-3rd
2015-8th
2014-17th
2013-14th
2012-23rd
2011-25th
2010-26th

Strong correlation between winning and good attendance, and between losing and terrible attendance. But this doesn’t mean that a new owner will approve a top-5 or top-10 budget.

They could easily try to win on the cheap for 5-10 years. And companies that don’t have the extreme deep pockets of Rogers might not spend until attendance goes way up.

Shapiro and Atkins have had increasing budgets even as their attendance went off a cliff.
The last thing that a franchise owner in 2021 wants is a team that can only draw fans by winning. You can't guarantee winning and even trying requires you to spend a ton of money (unless, apparently, you're Tampa) The most successful business model is what the Leafs have: a sold out arena for every game with a fan base that never punishes the team for substandard performance by not showing up. That's the sweet spot. If the only way the Jays can sell tickets is by winning it's an expensive and risky proposition. Owners want sure things, not gambles. So if they can't guarantee something they will hedge their bets and cut corners.

The last thing that a franchise owner in 2021 wants is a team that can only draw fans by winning. You can't guarantee winning and even trying requires you to spend a ton of money (unless, apparently, you're Tampa) The most successful business model is what the Leafs have: a sold out arena for every game with a fan base that never punishes the team for substandard performance by not showing up. That's the sweet spot. If the only way the Jays can sell tickets is by winning it's an expensive and risky proposition. Owners want sure things, not gambles. So if they can't guarantee something they will hedge their bets and cut corners.

Its more of a shell game , funneling creative financial engineering across multiple business entities

If your in it to earn your living , your in trouble and the wrong way to do business

So you're say that the last thing an owner wants is to own a franchise that is in the same boat as 80% of the league?

You really need to get over that time the entire city of Toronto roofied and took advantage of you, this is fucking ridiculous

Red Sox
Cardinals
Yankees (but not Mets)
Cubs (but not White Sox)
Dodgers (but not Angels)
Giants (but not A's)
Yankees have had attendance issues in recent past..

Generally, baseball has had issues attracting younger fans

Yankees have had attendance issues in recent past..

Generally, baseball has had issues attracting younger fans
I consider myself a hardcore baseball fan....I've planned multiple road trips around Blue Jays games and seeing different stadiums (even without the Jays being the road team), and I have a hard time watching a full game at home, no matter the quality of the team. For those younger than me, yeah good luck. Baseball needs to innovate more or it's going to keep slipping in popularity. Too many games, and just too much of a time investment for most when there are other more interesting things to do.

Back