• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

That's really impressive work by the Rays.

For an org that always trades its best players before they get expensive, I'm also sure it isn't lost on them that if they want to move a 26-year old Wander Franco with something like 6/150 left on his deal, they'll get a king's ransom.
Yup, it's a brilliant deal for them.

I consider myself a hardcore baseball fan....I've planned multiple road trips around Blue Jays games and seeing different stadiums (even without the Jays being the road team), and I have a hard time watching a full game at home, no matter the quality of the team. For those younger than me, yeah good luck. Baseball needs to innovate more or it's going to keep slipping in popularity. Too many games, and just too much of a time investment for most when there are other more interesting things to do.
I used to LOVE baseball. I played baseball every year. I attended dedicated baseball camps.

As a high schooler I purchased the Toronto Star 81 game season pass for $81 (essentially season's tickets for those who remember).

I used to watch a TON of baseball.

I have not watched an entire baseball game from start to finish since I believe 2016...of course, part of that is due to shapkins/Rogers, part of that is due to me no longer being a university student, part of that is due to me ending my cable subscription, etc.

but, the salient point is this guy used to consume a ton of baseball annually and that has dropped substantially over the past few years and ain't trending in the right direction...

Cricket playing countries fucked with cricket by creating a different format (T20) that didn't take 5 days (seriously, cricket Test matches are 6 hours per day over 5 days) and encouraged fast, exciting plays to attract the new generation. Purists still get their 5 day Test matches and families can catch a game with their kids without taking a weeks vacation.

Bit of different situation, but if England/Australia/South Africa/India etc. are willing to fuck with cricket, surely some tweaks can be made to baseball.

Cricket playing countries fucked with cricket by creating a different format (T20) that didn't take 5 days (seriously, cricket Test matches are 6 hours per day over 5 days) and encouraged fast, exciting plays to attract the new generation. Purists still get their 5 day Test matches and families can catch a game with their kids without taking a weeks vacation.

Bit of different situation, but if England/Australia/South Africa/India etc. are willing to fuck with cricket, surely some tweaks can be made to baseball.
and now they even have 20/20 matches too.

who knew you could adapt your sport eh

What a steal.

We should have signed vladdy already.

rogers-canada.png

They should have signed him two years ago. It’s probably too late now. Any extension he would consider could go very badly for the team if he doesn’t age surprisingly well. Like Prince Fielder.

And I doubt it was Rogers preventing them from taking a risk on Vladdy (and to a lesser extent, Bo) long term before they were established. It was probably Ross Atkins.

Yep. And Vlad Sr. had at least 8 kids with 5 different women.

Vladdy Jr. is off to an early start too. I think his daughters are 5 and 3.

He needs to keep them all in the DR where it's cheap to have multiple baby moms. Seems to be what Sr has done.

Unless it’s to Edward lol

It might even be an improvement just getting out from underneath the umbrella. We're really only 30-40 million a year short of where we should be in spending (can buy a few good ballplayers for that money...) and that's probably about the shortfall the Rogers broadcast deal forces on the club. No guarantee that Ed would spend it (or even bend the broadcast div over for it as the club should be doing), but it will simply never happen if the Jays remain part of everyone's favourite telecom. There's a chance it might if the twit buys the club out of spite.

Ed Rogers strikes me as a guy that would undermine the administration and deal directly with players and their agents. Like Arte Moreno in Anaheim. I mean, he’s done it before, but was probably constrained somewhat by the corporate structure. Those constraints would be gone if he the head of some private ownership group.

So I guess maybe they’d spend more money, but that could also go very badly.

Ed Rogers strikes me as a guy that would undermine the administration and deal directly with players and their agents. Like Arte Moreno in Anaheim. I mean, he’s done it before, but was probably constrained somewhat by the corporate structure. Those constraints would be gone if he the head of some private ownership group.

So I guess maybe they’d spend more money, but that could also go very badly.

Nah, he’d just conspire to fire Shapiro and fuck it up.

Yeah, Matz was legit good this year but also a two-pitch pitcher with injury history. I would have been okay with 3/30 but even there I'd be like man, I think I'd rather spend this money elsewhere.

Yeah, Matz was legit good this year but also a two-pitch pitcher with injury history. I would have been okay with 3/30 but even there I'd be like man, I think I'd rather spend this money elsewhere.

Yeah, agreed. 2/25 - 3/30, maybe even getting closer to 3/35 I could have lived with. But the 4th year really pushed it over the top. Best of luck to him.

Back