• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: World Politics

LeafGm

Well, this is a neat way to bump up the amount of meat they have available to throw in the grinder.

As much as this is meant as deterrent for protests, this is probably also a license for security forces to just grab random able-bodied young men off the streets, accuse them of being protestors and force them into the military. Like a modern day version of impressment gangs.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Well, this is a neat way to bump up the amount of meat they have available to throw in the grinder.

As much as this is meant as deterrent for protests, this is probably also a license for security forces to just grab random able-bodied young men off the streets, accuse them of being protestors and force them into the military. Like a modern day version of impressment gangs.

I'm wondering what measures they're going to go to in the field to stop these guys from basically insta surrendering. Also, expect officer frags and group desertions to go way up.

If you can't win an offensive war with a professional army...you can't win that war. Conscripts are terrible at anything other than defending their homes.

lecoqsportif

Gotta say, I’m a bit jaded by this reaction. The protesters just enjoyed the Summer of George, eating blocks of cheese the size of their heads. Meanwhile, Ukraine was being destroyed, suffered genocidal crimes (forced migration, murder, rape, etc.) and saw mass refugee movement. Again.

But now they are upset.

Translating a recent post by Ponomarenko:

Well, dear Russians - dreams come true!
The Soviet Union is back!
Please love and welcome the living waves of suicide bombers, the barrier troops, one rifle for three, and time limits for "not one step back" violations.
Welcome to what you got for 20 years of silence and cowardly inaction.

LeafGm

I'm wondering what measures they're going to go to in the field to stop these guys from basically insta surrendering. Also, expect officer frags and group desertions to go way up.

If you can't win an offensive war with a professional army...you can't win that war. Conscripts are terrible at anything other than defending their homes.

I guess there’s the old Soviet method of shooting your soldiers dead if they retreat by even one step, or if they refuse to advance and fire on the enemy.

Whatever officers they have left, Wagner mercs and Kadryovites would probably be the ones who’d fill that role for them now.

But yeah…a wee bit unlikely that’d be a winning strategy.

LeafGm

Seems that the Ukies pulled off quite a trade.

55 Russian POW’s + Medvedchuk (the Ukrainian douchebag Putin was reportedly planning to install as Ukraine’s puppet President) in exchange for 215 Ukrainian soldiers who were taken prisoner from the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol when it finally fell.

Stinky

Seems that the Ukies pulled off quite a trade.

55 Russian POW’s + Medvedchuk (the Ukrainian douchebag Putin was reportedly planning to install as Ukraine’s puppet President) in exchange for 215 Ukrainian soldiers who were taken prisoner from the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol when it finally fell.
Including the insta famous Gundi.

oscarheyman

Doesn't sound like their basic tactics haven't changed much since WWII:

"During their various conversations the issue of how to clear minefields came up. Eisenhower was surprised to learn that Zhukov’s tactics were to push the infantry across the minefield before clearing it. Soviet doctrine assumed that, while there would be casualties, the momentum of advance was too important to let it succumb to the delay of mine clearing.":eek:

“Crusade in Europe”- Dwight Eisenhower

The Americans made adjustments to their Sherman Tanks to handle minefields (those chains would just spin around & pound the ground setting off the mines):

I'm surprised the Russians didn't bother to jury-rig something similiar to their tanks. It's not like they didn't have the engineering 'know-how'. They did design the T-34 tank (a tank design so superior to anything on the field at the time, the Germans eventually copied the design for their own tanks).

Last edited: