• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

The break

Ehhh...after seeing Weidman's leg flopping around in my nightmares for a week after that fight, I'm gonna pass.

It is interesting though seeing another bad break that likely came off of checked leg kicks. I predicted shortly after Weidman that some guys were going to start moving away from it because it's too risky.

I think the oblique kick (which I fucking hate, makes me cringe every time) is going to end up the popular one. That, the leg kick on the thigh, and the push kick I think are going to be the next era of strategic kicks.

It was easy to see which Conor was an act and which was real. The humble gracious Conor from the 2nd fight or this one.

Fan reaction was a bit disappointing though.

So much of the MMA community you see online borders on so many fringe far right movmements. Big time Trumpers, tons of anti-vaxxers, etc. They're a waste of time.

MMA is the only sport that is firmly entrenched in troll culture, which is hilarious to see those dumbfucks react to Jake Paul like they're doing.

I love MMA as a sport, fucking hate the fanbase.

So much of the MMA community you see online borders on so many fringe far right movmements. Big time Trumpers, tons of anti-vaxxers, etc. They're a waste of time.

MMA is the only sport that is firmly entrenched in troll culture, which is hilarious to see those dumbfucks react to Jake Paul like they're doing.

I love MMA as a sport, fucking hate the fanbase.

It does explain why the Douche King became their ultimate hero. We've seen better fighters rise to the title in more dominant fashion, but we've never seen it done with as little class and sportsmanship as Conor's rise. The way he talks about himself you'd swear that he was an undefeated champion for a decade. He's 3-4 since the Aldo fight ffs.

His run to the title was worthy of praise (beat pre prime Max and Dustin, which isn't easy, they were both on the path to greatness as well). Mendes was a good victory on that run as well. But since then man he hasn't really had an impressive performance against a contender level fighter aside from his absolute merking of Eddie.

Viewed as a whole now, the most impressive aspect of his career was the complete and utter unending push he received from Dana. If Dana dicked him around in matchmaking the way he does everyone else there would have been no waltzing into a champ-champ title shot, no re entry into the top of the division after years off and losing to Khabib, etc.

MMA is basically what pro wrestling would look like if pro wrestling was real. Not that it's a surprise when you see all these lobotomized, mouth-breathing simpletons become fans of the sport.

Look at all the pro wrestling elements that are being interjected into MMA and it's unsurprising that the ones who caught on to this (see: Chael) before others were able to use this into growing their visibility into heights that they never would have been able to before. Hell, McGregor stole Vince's billionaire strut.

Without the pro wrestling element, Chael would have been like Derek Brunson. A guy everyone knows is good, but will end up having a largely forgettable career and nobody will remember him for much of anything.

If you were to ask around people my age (late 20s, early-to-mid 30s) that watched pro wrestling, who were their favorite wrestlers, you'd have a hard time finding people who didn't like Stone Cold Steve Austin. Charisma, anti-authority, his my-way-or-the-highway attitude, those are all things McGregor's taken and used.

If pro wrestling was real and Steve Austin was a real fighter, he & McGregor would be peas in a pod.

A lot of good MMA related material today. (Kinda)

ESPN's favorite lapdog, who really doesn't understand why people nicknamed him Screamin' A, says stupid shit (by his own basement standards) in an actual segment.

Ariel had some reaaaaal interesting things to say about his time at ESPN, with Josh Gross's comments.

Last edited:
Dana really is the pettiest trashbag type of person.

Worst bit is that he's mad at Ariel for not bowing to the MMA fuhrer.

Everyone else that hasn't bowed to him has gotten banned. Hello Josh Gross, Loretta Hunt, all of Cage Potato...

The "media" that goes to every UFC show are nothing short of a PR staff to do Dana White's job of promoting the fights. Notice how Dana hasn't done any promotion work in years? He doesn't have to, the pom pom waiving MMA media does it for him. They hype the fights and get people talking.

Back