• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

We did drinks whenever it was brought up about the middle of the cage - Jesus those take downs are a nice break

I really hate how long MMA allows ineffective top control to last for. You can throw a few strikes a minute and win a round while doing nothing of real value without worrying about getting stood up.

I actually disagree, I prefer 3 round main events when it's not for a title.

Those 5 round decision fights shorten careers needlessly.

I really hate how long MMA allows ineffective top control to last for. You can throw a few strikes a minute and win a round while doing nothing of real value without worrying about getting stood up.
To an extent. If the one on bottom is doing nothing but stalling, like MVP did today or like when Anderson Silva fought DC, then tough. I want to avoid the Jon Fitch-esque wrestle-fuck that make the sport boring as shit.

To an extent. If the one on bottom is doing nothing but stalling, like MVP did today or like when Anderson Silva fought DC, then tough. I want to avoid the Jon Fitch-esque wrestle-fuck that make the sport boring as shit.

So it's incumbent on the guy in the vulnerable position to push the pace and take risks in trying to escape and not on the fighter in the dominant position to generate offence?

I'd argue that it's on the guy in the dominant position to push the fight once he's gotten it where he apparently wanted it to be. Shit, if he doesn't want to be there he can just stand up.

I think you've got it backwards mang. What you're calling "stalling" is active and effective defensive work in that position. It's the fighter in the dominant position that is unable/unwilling to overcome the active defending.

ya, ground game makes ufc unwatchable for me.

When there is control, pace, and intent to it, it's interesting and leads to pretty quick stoppages. When the guy on top gets bogged down, isn't advancing position or doing anything of value, etc...fuck it, give him 20-30 seconds to sort his life out and then stand them up if nothing is going on.

So I finally watched joshua-usyk

Usyk's a good fighter, but holy crap joshua was disappointing. how do you let a guy who you have 3-4 inches in height/reach on, who had to fight fat to compete at HW, obliterate your face with jabs?

joshua doesn't move his head, doesn't use his jab to maintain his size advantage or set up his straight right, and doesn't have any combo's.

glad i didn't pay for that.

It was a war, but it kind of makes me sad at the same time. Two incredibly limited boxers are the peak of the division. Wilder somehow got this far throwing one punch and escaping straight back with his chin in the air, and fury's "inside boxing" is ugly as fuck to watch.

Entertaining fight, so I'm not mad but having grown up watching multiple generations of great boxers who just happened to also be huge, watching that is a bit unsatisfying

HW is a wasteland

The problem with boxing (and mma, unfortunately) is that the heavyweight champion of the world is playing linebacker on some NFL team, and I don't think the problem's going to get better.

The problem with boxing (and mma, unfortunately) is that the heavyweight champion of the world is playing linebacker on some NFL team, and I don't think the problem's going to get better.

Yep. Who wants to get punched in the face for a living if they have other athletic avenues to chase?

It's crazy how much of an erosion of boxing skills has happened in the HW division over the last 10-15 years. I'm watching random ass highlight reels from that era. Jameel McLine, Cannon Briggs, Oquendo, Tua, Byrd etc, etc. It's not like I'm just picking legends here either. All of them had fluid, fluid boxing skills and a few of them are downright slick (Oquendo & Byrd specifically, slick AF).

I think I'm going to have to be an Usyk fan going forward. He's the only guy in the top 10 with well round boxing skills.

Yep. Who wants to get punched in the face for a living if they have other athletic avenues to chase?

It's crazy how much of an erosion of boxing skills has happened in the HW division over the last 10-15 years. I'm watching random ass highlight reels from that era. Jameel McLine, Cannon Briggs, Oquendo, Tua, Byrd etc, etc. It's not like I'm just picking legends here either. All of them had fluid, fluid boxing skills and a few of them are downright slick (Oquendo & Byrd specifically, slick AF).

I think I'm going to have to be an Usyk fan going forward. He's the only guy in the top 10 with well round boxing skills.
All true.
But, I’d love, just once, to see what fury could do at a cut 260. He moves well for a dude who fights at close to 300 pounds.

All true.
But, I’d love, just once, to see what fury could do at a cut 260. He moves well for a dude who fights at close to 300 pounds.

It would be interesting to see, yeah. I think he would still fight with this style of smothering and inside fighting though.

Reminds me of a 6'9 version of john ruiz

Back