• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Predictions 21-22

Sal_Butera

The 88-89 Habs were pretty friggin' deep at forward.

Naslund
Smith
Richer
Carbo
Lemieux
Corson
McPhee
Skrudland
Courtnall
Keane
Walter
Gilchrist
Gainey

And the 92-93 team were no slouch at forward either.

Damphousse
Muller
Bellows
Lebeau
Keane
Savard
Dionne
LeClair
Brunet
Carbo
DiPietro
Neither of those teams had a Gallagher on 3rd line or Hoffman sniper on 4th line.

Recall the 88-89 team couldn’t score except for Richer, Chelios, Naslund & Smith - keep it in context of 80s scoring machine vs today. A 25G player back then is a 10-15G player today etc.

I also think that 88-89 team had far more scoring depth at forward than 92-93 team, DiPietro & Dionne came out of nowhere scoring in the playoffs and were out of the NHL within a couple of seasons.

I’ll maintain this team has the most depth I’ve seen since I started watching, although those previous teams had better top end talent - albeit in fairness the game has changed, so that helps, there’s no 4th line bruiser waste of game roster space space anymore etc.

xposbrad

Neither of those teams had a Gallagher on 3rd line or Hoffman sniper on 4th line.

Recall the 88-89 team couldn’t score except for Richer, Chelios, Naslund & Smith - keep it in context of 80s scoring machine vs today. A 25G player back then is a 10-15G player today etc.

I also think that 88-89 team had far more scoring depth at forward than 92-93 team, DiPietro & Dionne came out of nowhere scoring in the playoffs and were out of the NHL within a couple of seasons.

I’ll maintain this team has the most depth I’ve seen since I started watching, although those previous teams had better top end talent - albeit in fairness the game has changed, so that helps, there’s no 4th line bruiser waste of game roster space space anymore etc.

That's because we did a half rebuild for the first time in 20+ years several years ago and that started with trading Max and keeping prospects like CC instead of trading them away for unsuccessful playoff runs.

GEEMAN

Our D stinks bad

GEEMAN

Super bad. How do you hide a bad bottom 4?

They need Allen to play out of his skull for six weeks and for the PP to be outrageous. If, and only if, Price and the walking wounded are back then maybe they fight for 4th.

Yup , we need big goals from our offence to save us for a while

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Gallagher in 2021 rates no better than a 3rd liner. I'm not expecting much from him going forward. He will try hard and get into scrums like always but the points are not going to be there anymore.

And if Hoffman winds up on the fourth line it will only be because he has completely lost the plot, not because there are 3 better centers on the team.

Sal_Butera

Gallagher in 2021 rates no better than a 3rd liner. I'm not expecting much from him going forward. He will try hard and get into scrums like always but the points are not going to be there anymore.

And if Hoffman winds up on the fourth line it will only be because he has completely lost the plot, not because there are 3 better centers on the team.
Hoffman isn’t a C.

Gallagher has been on 30G+ pace each of last 4-seasons, why all of a sudden 2021?

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Hoffman isn’t a C.

Gallagher has been on 30G+ pace each of last 4-seasons, why all of a sudden 2021?
Then if there are 6 better wingers than him on the roster he's probably garbage based on our knowledge of the other wingers on this roster. Hoffman should be among the top 4 wingers on this team.

Sal_Butera

Then if there are 6 better wingers than him on the roster he's probably garbage based on our knowledge of the other wingers on this roster. Hoffman should be among the top 4 wingers on this team.
Not if the game strategy is to keep top-6 matchups to net neutral and use significant depth advantage of bottom-6 matchups to create the win opportunity

Hence the sum of all parts team that has been built - upgrading the components that used the same strategy last playoffs

GGpX

Hoffman isn’t a C.

For the same reason the majority of players in their late 20s, early 30s start to decline: Age & usage.

Gallagher plays a balls-to-the-wall, wreckless and fearless style. Players like that are like running backs, they age much faster.

Sal_Butera

You expect Gally to score 30 goals this year , I dont see it

I expect his decline from that dumb contract to start this year
Until proven otherwise, I see a steady 4-year trend of 30G+ pace, including last 2-regular seasons he played a full 82-games in each, and was on pace to do so again in 19-20 before Covid hit