• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Preseason GDT: Canes v. Panthers 9/27 6:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
An early puck drop for the preseason home opener.

The Canes will field a veteran lineup tonight. The only “kids” playing tonight are Suzuki, Josiah Slavin and Gunler, who will probably play together and Khazhayev. William Carrier is in the lineup too, despite missing or being limited at a few practices. Andersen will be in goal, backed up by Khazheyev.

The Panthers haven’t named their lineup yet. They’ve already played 3 preseason games, playing a split squad doubleheader against the Preds and they played the Lightning on Wednesday.

The game will be streamed on the Canes website but it’s geo-blocked. It will also be broadcast on NHL Network.

Hmmm. Can't remember Brind'Amour dressing such a veteran squad this early in pre season before. Not since his first season at least, when he was installing the system for the first time.

Hmmm. Can't remember Brind'Amour dressing such a veteran squad this early in pre season before. Not since his first season at least, when he was installing the system for the first time.
Yeah, this really surprised me.

Seeing him on the roster again makes me wonder what Florida plans to do with Spencer Knight. He's under contract for two more seasons, in fact his current deal runs out the same time as Bob's giant contract. I'm sure they planned on just plugging him in at that point, but he's never been the same goalie since he took time off to get treatment for OCD in 2023. They're paying him $4.5 mil against the cap, which is a bunch of cash for a backup you may or may not actually trust.

Lines and pairings.

Roslovic-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Kotkaniemi-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Carrier
Jo. Slavin-Suzuki-Gunler

Slavin-Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Gostisbehere-Walker

Andersen
Khazheyev

Lines and pairings.

Roslovic-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Kotkaniemi-Necas
I figured this setup would get some run at some point. Roslovic isn't a play driver, but he can play a complimentary role pretty much on any kind of line. And it's pretty crucial that the second unit generates some scoring. Giving Necas a dynamic player like Svech to work off of is the best shot for that to happen.

I closed the app at the end of the first period and came back for the 2nd and there is no longer a game feed on the canes app? wtf Chuck

Edit to add I did find it on the website, but I wonder why the app took it down

For a preseason game, this was actually fun to watch at the PNC, no Lenova, arena. Of course, it was an NHL team vs. an AHL team, but the game was fast and pretty physcal. The new guys looked good.

Good to see them put the pedal down on an AHL roster. In the past that would have been an opportunity to make some goalie you've barely heard of look good. No other takeaways, really.

Back