• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Question on Powerplay lines

JamesNorthern

After observing these first few games, it appears the current 'trend' for our top PP line is as thus:

Svechnikov Haula Dzingle
Hamilton Terravainen

If that is correct, please help me with the 2nd unit?

Necas Staal Niederreiter
Gardiner Aho

After observing these first few games, it appears the current 'trend' for our top PP line is as thus:

Svechnikov Haula Dzingle
Hamilton Terravainen

If that is correct, please help me with the 2nd unit?

Necas Staal Niederreiter
Gardiner Aho

You’re right on both counts, although the first unit was nominally the 2nd unit until they caught fire. RBA has been going with the hot hands.

Here's grumpy me again to point out that the first unit thing means nothing to the coach. The guys who look like the right fit for the moment ... out they go. Dougie and Turbo are both white hot so there's is the "first unit" ... until they aren't and it isn't.

Dougie is so good at varying his shot as the situation calls for. Need it low to cause a rebound? Need to pick a corner? He has all the shots. Its a absolute crime that we spent almost the entire season last year still putting Justin Faulk out there for as much time as we did over Dougie. I think if we simply switched Faulk and Dougie around on the PP units so that Dougie was out there with the rest of the #1 unit (aka Aho, Teravainen and Williams) our PP would have finished significantly better than it did.

As JB correctly noted, at some point Dzingle, Turbo, Haula, Svech and Dougie will get cold and the other unit will need to pick things up. I like the other unit much better with Gardiner on the point than with Faulk. Gardiner makes our other 4 players on the ice more dangerous. We are no longer quite as predictable on either PP unit as we were when Faulk was on the point.

Gardiner is still playing his way into form and is just a ridiculously good passer. That unit will probably need more time to figure out their patterns since it's SO different from when they had Faulk banging away on the point with the two wing guys doing 90% of the probing and passing. I think the other unit is just simpler, which is why they've taken off earlier in the year ... wing it around the top and let Dougie drive the boat. Worth noting ... when they've failed to follow this model and other guys start making too many decisions, the PP has looked disjointed. Just relax and let Dougie do the thing, boys.

Here's grumpy me again to point out that the first unit thing means nothing to the coach. The guys who look like the right fit for the moment ... out they go. Dougie and Turbo are both white hot so there's is the "first unit" ... until they aren't and it isn't.

Sheesh you pound on this. Ok the two lines we've been using, irregardless of numbering or which is hot(ter)

;)

Gardiner is still playing his way into form and is just a ridiculously good passer. That unit will probably need more time to figure out their patterns since it's SO different from when they had Faulk banging away on the point with the two wing guys doing 90% of the probing and passing. I think the other unit is just simpler, which is why they've taken off earlier in the year ... wing it around the top and let Dougie drive the boat. Worth noting ... when they've failed to follow this model and other guys start making too many decisions, the PP has looked disjointed. Just relax and let Dougie do the thing, boys.

Yeah we have a bonafide QB quarterbacking with all the tools to make your PP good to great and the opposition pay =D

Sheesh you pound on this. Ok the two lines we've been using, irregardless of numbering or which is hot(ter)

;)
It's just that I sense an eventual argument about why this guy or that guy isn't on the "first power play" when there really isn't such a thing. Same as the "why is Staal still on the 2nd line" nonsense when the top three lines basically play the same minutes.

There is sort of a PP1 and PP2 distinction in that it matters which unit if deployed first since those players might well be out there for the majority of the time.

Best foot forward.

Back