• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Raanta On Waivers

That doesn't mean he is gone yet of course, but it does allow us to immediately bury him in the minors somewhere if we need cap space and cannot trade him.

That said, I'm having a hard time envisioning the Canes sending Rantaa to the AHL.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that Norfolk added an emergency backup. So Perets could indeed be headed here.

That doesn't mean he is gone yet of course, but it does allow us to immediately bury him in the minors somewhere if we need cap space and cannot trade him.

That said, I'm having a hard time envisioning the Canes sending Rantaa to the AHL.
Vejmelka to Carolina in place of Raanta wouldn’t be a bad option and there is some smoke to that rumor.

This is not a bad assessment of the options available in net, even if I think the author is more negative on Vejmelka than I am...

Everything about Vejmelka is relative. If you believe that he'd do better playing behind a system that limits chances, and most people do, then you're probably high on him. If you just look at conventional stats and judge his play, then you're probably down on him. Not saying either approach is correct and there's not a lot of good expanded data on goalies.

My bottom line ... so long as you don't give up anything silly, he'd almost certainly be better than Raanta has been this season and he's not expensive. So, yeah. There are worse options. Expensive ones who are equally risky if not more risky.

Raanta cleared waivers and was assigned to the Chicago Wolves. The Canes will carry a $350k cap hit for his buried salary.

With Freddie getting medical clearance and Dell being signed to a PTO, I'm thinking that Arizona probably put too high a price tag on Vejmelka.

I dunno. Anderson’s clearance wouldn’t be related to our need I wouldn’t think. We need him back ASAP and that’s been the case since he went out. Dell gives you another body even if just for practices.

I dunno. Anderson’s clearance wouldn’t be related to our need I wouldn’t think. We need him back ASAP and that’s been the case since he went out. Dell gives you another body even if just for practices.
Well, they need 3 regardless of Andersen. Currently you've got Kochetkov, Raanta and Perets with Dell on a PTO. And Raanta is only for practice fodder. Perets is only NHL ready in fever dreams, so basically you've got 1 goalie. Andersen's situation ABSOLUTELY would impact the next move. If there's no chance he's back then they HAVE to get a 1A/1B guy pretty much regardless of trade cost. If there's a good chance he's back fairly soon, then yeah ... maybe some schlub like Dell can be the third wheel. But you can't go with just 2 NHL level goalies if one of them is Andersen. He could trip over a paper clip at any time and miss 2 months

Boston is desperate to trade for a Centerman and would give up last year's Vezina winner Linus Ullmark for someone's #1 Center.

Boston is desperate to trade for a Centerman and would give up last year's Vezina winner Linus Ullmark for someone's #1 Center.
Are you suggesting that trading Aho for Ullmark is an option? Because, THAT'S a debate that could burn down the internet.
For the record, I don't do that for one simple reason ... I don't trust 90% of the goalies in the world to be any danged good more than 2 years in a row. Aho is far from perfect as a 1C, but he's not going to randomly be terrible for any length of time either.

Also, if you're Carolina you'd just be solving one problem (potentially) by creating an equally difficult problem given that I consider this roster a bit short at center in the first place.

We had someone that we've had on the pod, someone that is usually pretty good on matters, tell me the Canes previously offered Necas but that didn't go anywhere.

(edited because it was barely legible)

Last edited:
We had someone we've had on the pod some that usually is pretty good on matters tell me the Canes previously offered Necas but that didn't go anywhere.
That would have been much more up Carolina's alley. And doesn't do Boston much good if they have to get a center out of the deal.

According to PuckPedia and CapFriendly, Raanta was recalled today and Perets was sent down. Recalls are allowed during the roster freeze and, as long as they notified Perets before midnight last night, he can be sent down.

Back