• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rosters are set. Time for 2024-25 Predictions

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah, I don't want to do this either, but it's time to put down a marker so we can all laugh and point at our past selves for being such mooks.

Metro Division
Have I been bitten by over-estimating the age progression of both the Pens and the Caps? Yes. Will I do it again? Also yes. I think Pittsburgh is basically frozen in amber at this point, but Washington had a pretty good off season and might be a fringe playoff team again. The Rangers still have the same structural issues they had the last two years, but with their goaltending and top end talent, I see them running away with the division. The Devils and Canes will likely round out the top 3 in some order ... take a guess depending on which goaltending tandem you like best. I'm not buying the Isles or Flyers at all and Columbus is just playing a different game. Here's my guess at how it shakes out. I'm betting on Jersey to have a healthier season and to get better goaltending, but not enough of either to pass the Rangers. Carolina takes a step back but not a huge one while the Caps, Pens and Isles will lurch around to determine 4th. Not much margin there. The Flyers get the dead cat part of the Torts experience.

Rangers
Devils
Hurricanes
Capitals
Penguins
Islanders
Flyers
Blue Jackets

Atlantic Division
Is this Toronto's year? God alone knows, but I like them to win the division. Berube probably has the shelf life of unpasteurized milk, but I figure he's gonna get one season of improvement first. But hey, there also exists the possibility that Berube is the worst possible fit for Toronto's roster of very special gentlemen and it all could blow up in everybody's faces, resulting in either a blown up roster or a quick hook or both. I'm here for any of that, frankly. Mostly because unlike the way fully half of this league's franchises go through life ... it won't be boring. Florida will be right there with them, having taken a hit to their depth but otherwise brought back a very good band. I have zero feel for either Tampa or Boston. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them stinks, but I would be surprised if they both do. Tampa's a little more stale. Let's go with them to take a slide, but given the "strength" of the rest of this pool they'll slide into the playoffs anyway. Otherwise, Montreal is still a WIP, and the others are in the science fiction genre ... somewhere beteen a little bit hard to believe in and completely implausible. The bottom four could finish in any old order and my suprised face wouldn't even bother to warm up. I WILL be mildly surprised if all 8 of these GMs get to the draft with their jobs intact. I can just feel that trap door getting greased up for somebody.

Maple Leafs
Panthers
Bruins
Lightning
Senators
Sabres
Red Wings
Canadiens

Central Division
Hmm. Colorado and Dallas, sure. Pick 'em. Nashville? I guess, but the off season hype rarely pays off like you'd figure. The Wild? Still wafer thin. The Jets? Same, same. Utah? Maybe. They won't suck. St. Louis and Chicago? Umm, no. I'll go chalk and pick the Avs to find their groove but after Dallas I think you're in murky waters all the way down to St Louis. Let's give the 3/4 nod to the goalies, but if Utah gets decent goaltending then they're right there in the mix.

Avalanche
Stars
Predators
Jets
Utah
Wild
Blackhawks
Blues

Pacific
OK, the Ducks and Sharks are terrible again and spent the summer being just fine with that. The Oilers are geared up for another crack and I guess I still believe in Vancouver although there will be some regression to mean offensively. Vegas looks OK despite not really fixing any of their issues in the off season either. Otherwise, this Division is just ... meh. Call it the Ron Francis effect. Everyone is full of question marks, injuries and issues in kind of a boring golf shirt and khakis sort of way. Even Vegas is less sketchy than normal. Somebody is going to slime their way to a 4th playoff spot from this puddle. Let's go with LA, because they've been there and done that for years now. Could that end up being Seattle? Sure, but I think Calgary is probably a bridge too far. The other two are floating on that island of plastic bottles and grocery store bags out in the Pacific. I'm not convinced you'd have a playoff team if they combined rosters.

Oilers
Canucks
Knights (look, I hate the golden thing and I'm just not doing it anymore)
Kings
Kraken
Flames
Ducks
Sharks

FWIW, The Athletic's model has the Canes finishing with 102 points and finishing in a dead heat with the Rangers in the Metro. The Cup favorite is Edmonton with a 21% chance, and the Oilers project to a 110 point season. As we know all too well after last season, Dom's model is deeply flawed when it comes to goaltending and hasn't held up in the playoffs very well. He's been VERY good at projecting regular season results, however.

Somehow Jeff Skinner finds a way to keep the Oilers out of the playoffs but the Sabres get in.
I'd love to see this, but have my doubts. I think Skinner's curse may be a compound element this season. As in maybe he gets traded to Anaheim or San Jose and misses the playoffs that way.

Devils
Rangers
Hurricanes
Penguins
Capitals
Islanders
Flyers
Blue Jackets

Panthers
Bruins
Maple Leafs
Lightning
Red Wings
Senators
Sabres
Canadiens

Pens and Caps are the WC teams

Avalanche
Predators
Stars
Utah
Jets
Wild
Blues
Blackhawks

Oilers
Golden Knights
Canucks
Kings
Kraken
Ducks
Flames
Sharks

Utah and Kings are WCs

I'd love to see this, but have my doubts. I think Skinner's curse may be a compound element this season. As in maybe he gets traded to Anaheim or San Jose and misses the playoffs that way.

This has been my prediction since Skinner signed there. The Oilers still make the playoffs, easily, but that doesn't mean that Skinner is part of that. I'm predicting that Skinner is a totally useless liability out there and is benched. Traded? Waived? Maybe, HOWEVER, Skinner has a full NMC. So Edmonton would have to pretty much beg Skinner to give them permission to get rid of him. Maybe a permanent spot in the press box is enough to get Skinner to want to move on.

The way my predictions usually go, expect Skinner to score at least 40 goals this season for the Oilers.

Last edited:
Skinner rarely cooks any hotter than in his first season on a new team. I honestly expect him to be good for 30+ goals for the Oilers.

Devils
Rangers
Canes
Pens
Isles
Flyers
Caps
Jackets

Leafs
Panthers
Bruins
Tampa