• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Round 2 Game 2 GDT: Canes v. Lightning 6/1 7:30

These are the playoffs, you're going to run into good goalies. Have to factor for that.
Yeah, the goaltenders increase focus in the playoffs and tend to perform better (or crack up), but the real difference is that everybody else on the ice does as well. I saw Kucherov make a wonderful, hustling back check play in the 2nd period last night and I'd guess he puts out that same effort on D maybe two or three times a season in the regular season. Freaking Stamkos is out there killing himself forechecking on what amounts to the 4th line right now. You think he's doing that on a random Tuesday night in January? Everybody's dialed in and the coaches almost all prioritize defense first, so every inch of ground is contested in the playoffs.

BTW ... on the subject of analytics and the playoffs, NOBODY in the NHL is more invested in analytics than Colorado and they seem just fine. Honestly, the Islanders have a huge analytics department too, despite their front office being run by a dinosaur and having a MUCH more defensive focus. Analytics isn't the boogeyman here.

To answer the earlier questions about 'what to we have to lose by starting Mrazek to shake things up?' I would say 'Game 3 and the series', We didn't lose both of these games because of Ned. We lost both of those games because we scored only 1 goal in each of them. Putting in Mrazek, who hasn't played in a really long time in there 'just to shake things up' is not the right move to me at this point.

Last edited:
Except Tampa isn’t gooning it up either. We’re not losing because of officiating we’re losing because we’re not executing. Some of that is a credit to Tampa and their goalie but most of it is just failure to execute. We’re close and we’re not playing especially well even after allowing for the high level of the opponent. The answer is more energy and settle down and play. Gooning it up is playing more to Tampa’s strengths than ours. It’s kind of Nashville’s strategy against us. Do whatever to disrupt our game because skill on skill they didn’t match up.

EXECUTE.
Getting dirty is not gooning it up. Getting dirty is playing with a nasty edge. There is a difference.

BTW ... on the subject of analytics and the playoffs, NOBODY in the NHL is more invested in analytics than Colorado and they seem just fine. Honestly, the Islanders have a huge analytics department too, despite their front office being run by a dinosaur and having a MUCH more defensive focus. Analytics isn't the boogeyman here.
Boy oh boy I forgot how you guys like to take the ball and run with it. Who said anything about "boogeyman"? I'm viewing these playoffs in a bubble. I watched your game last night and I am seeing similarities.

Might wanna go the speed limit.

Getting dirty is not gooning it up. Getting dirty is playing with a nasty edge. There is a difference.
Getting dirty associated with Corey Perry = Gooning it up. So he’s a warrior. He’s still a goon. So is Wilson. So no, there’s not a difference although you might choose to see it that way now that you’ve sold your soul. Sad, you sold it to beat the leaves in the first round. Heck everybody beats the leafs in the first round.
The Canes issue is not getting nastier, it’s getting better execution and playing with more energy.

We had Gary Roberts back in the early Canes days and liked him just fine when he was occasionally living near the edge on our behalf. Other folks may have called it goonery, I suppose. I'd take a productive Corey Perry anytime, or Kadri or Wilson. Just don't hold against me anything I might have said about them before, lol. [And I'd call 'em out for crossing the line when needed just like any player we have now.] But ya, we just need folks who can park their caboose on that blue line in front of Vasilevskiy and drive him nuts. We got any of them folks left?

Last edited:
I didn't see the Hurricanes team I'm used to until they went down 2-0, then they started scrambling and going for it like they meant it. Most of the game they looked like they were trying not to make mistakes instead of playing like they wanted to win at all costs. They're a talented enough team that they're difficult for most other teams to handle. If a crossbar, post, or whiff goes in, this is a different series. They need some serious push back and go for the throat. The bounces will come.

Jim

Boy oh boy I forgot how you guys like to take the ball and run with it. Who said anything about "boogeyman"? I'm viewing these playoffs in a bubble. I watched your game last night and I am seeing similarities.

Might wanna go the speed limit.
Meh ... it's a general trend, you must admit. Wasn't throwing anything at you specifically.

Back