• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2023-24 Season

Again, like with Zegras: Ask yourselves why a team, that is at the bottom of the league and looking for young talent, is trying to trade away what they're coveting.
Professional sports teams make player evaluation errors ALL THE TIME.

Sure, but teams are right more often than not.

Do you not think it's odd that Anaheim's been trying to get rid of Zegras for over a year now? I would understand if the situation was, they have an excess of forwards, they have nobody on D, they want to trade their 22 old 60 point center for a 22 year old top-4 RHD. But they've been trying to trade him for a while and between then, they traded for another young center.

I always think of the incident with Zegras & Troy Stecher a year ago. You'll rarely see players get this mad:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEwSPrZvpE

Zegras gives me the impression he cares about his stats and that he's an arrogant jock hiding behind his bigger & tougher friends.

Again, like with Zegras: Ask yourselves why a team, that is at the bottom of the league and looking for young talent, is trying to trade away what they're coveting.
Same as Dach and Newhook? After a promising first year, he had a disappointing second season. 5th overall, nowhere near his potential yet, I suspect we’re just kicking the tires. Unlike Zegras, Columbus haven’t exactly put Johnson on the market.

We can’t be wanting to trade for young talented players and turn up our nose on every available player.

I know what “impactful” means. I also know what “could” means. It implies could not.

Anyway, we almost certainly would draft a more impactful D-man with #5 than Guhle, so he’s a good asset to dangle

I know what “impactful” means. I also know what “could” means. It implies could not.

Anyway, we almost certainly would draft a more impactful D-man with #5 than Guhle, so he’s a good asset to dangle
I’ll go with keeping Guhle and the fairly strong possibility of drafting a more impactful forward than Zegras. But that’s me.

Same as Dach and Newhook? After a promising first year, he had a disappointing second season. 5th overall, nowhere near his potential yet, I suspect we’re just kicking the tires. Unlike Zegras, Columbus haven’t exactly put Johnson on the market.

We can’t be wanting to trade for young talented players and turn up our nose on every available player.
Dach & Newhook's situations are fun to look at, actually.

Chicago traded Dach to tank even further for Bedard and they might have had concerns about his injuries. We'll see what the future holds. If he turns into a first line winger (I don't think he's a center, but whatever) and has a long career, then they missed their evaluation on the situation. We'll never know if keeping Dach would have prevented them from drafting Bedard, so who knows.

Newhook's a poor example, though. Colorado traded him as a Cup contender because they didn't have the money to sign him. In an ideal world, they would have kept him.

The thing with Zegras & Johnson is, I can and will turn my nose to them if the asking price is too high. But if you're going to tell me that Anaheim would give me Zegras for Jayden Struble straight up? Then obviously, I'll do that deal and hope for the best. Problem is, though, Anaheim (according to reports, for what it's worth) is asking for either Reinbacher or Guhle in return.

If I can get Kent Johnson for a third round pick, then sure. I'll take that risk. But if the CBJ are trading him for a 1st round pick + a good prospect? Sorry, I'll gladly pass.

I’d think hard about dealing Guhle for Zegras if Habs can land Dickinson but the deal would need to be expanded to include more moving parts IMO

Reactions: CH1
If Zegras is so valuable, why would the Ducks be looking to trade him? They are also a rebuilding club.
I don't follow the Ducks (or care about them) enough to know if they have a surplus of forwards or not, but I am suspicious about Zegras given that so much attention is given to him in trade rumours.

If Zegras is so valuable, why would the Ducks be looking to trade him? They are also a rebuilding club.
I don't follow the Ducks to know if they have a surplus of forwards or not, but I am suspicious about Zegras given that so much attention is given to him in trade rumours.
If reports are to be believed the asking price for Zegras is very high….which doesn’t scream Ana is “looking to trade him”

Reactions: CH1
If reports are to be believed the asking price for Zegras is very high….which doesn’t scream Ana is “looking to trade him”
That doesn't, no.

But you know what is? Almost literally everything else.

Players in trade rumors that span this long always get traded. It's not like Zegras is a Pending UFA in 12 months and Anaheim doesn't know if they can keep him, so they're considering the value of trading him compared to keeping him. But he's 23, in his prime, and under team control for numerous years if they so choose.

They're clearly trying to trade him and get the most in return.

Back