• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

I’d love for the Habs to win the Cup in the next couple of years . . . but no matter they do in the near term, that won’t happen.

It's funny that Count thinks we want the Habs to deliberately emulate the Buffalo Sabres.

Krust and Geeman have convinced me, I have had a road to Damascus moment so my new view is this

"I think we should lose deliberately the next 5 years, then at that time, we can trade 14 and 22, think of the haul of more picks, lose some more, then trade Slaf for a huge haul of picks, and so on

Who cares about trying to win or putting on an entertaining product for those paying for the product, what matters is the prospect pool"
WTF is the matter with you , team is not deliberately losing the next 5 years

Hugo inherited a near complete tear down , it takes time to rebuild the ship

This is the best ongoing rebuild I have ever seen in decades

A few more years of rebuilding and our framework will be much better

You expect to win with the crap we had before

Last edited:
I’m actually hoping that we get the second pick and Fantilli goes full-Eichel on us in a few years. That’s how badly I want to emulate Buffalo.

we can get Geeman to injure his back...probably knows a guy

WTF is the matter with you , team is not deliberately losing the next 5 years

Hugo inherited a near complete tear down , it takes time to rebuild the ship

This is the best ongoing rebuild I have ever seen in decades

A few more years of rebuilding and our framework will be much better

You expect to win with the crap we had before
the longer we lose, the better, no shortcuts

Complementary piece is a little strong, but I understand what you mean.

PLD, like Suzuki, is a ~60pt center and a #2 on a championship caliber team. They're not the same type of player, obviously, but they slot in at about the same place.

I would not trade the Florida pick for someone like him at this point in his career. He's turning 25 in June, and will probably get an 8 year deal when he's 26, which will bring him until he's 34, at around a similar number that Suzuki got.

The contract he's going to get, because we all know he's going to get a big deal, scares me way more than the assets we'd have to give up to get him.

Bad contracts will fuck your team much more quickly, and for a much longer time, than bad draft picks.

The contract is the bigger issue, I'm less worried about the 17th overall pick.

If we trade for him this summer and sign him immediately to a 8 years deal for around the same price as Suzuki, I don't think it's that bad. That takes him to 2031 and he would play the last season of his contract as a 32 years old. 25-32 is a good age range for a contract. He wouldn't be a shortcut/band aid but a core player for the next 8 years.

I'd be wary of trading for him then overpaying him on a contract however.

wehave says why make if can't win 16 games, he has convinced me, no more playoffs...
Exactly, and no one has provided a counterargument worth considering. Playoff runs that don't end in championships are a waste of time which is why no team should be aiming to be just good enough to qualify for them. If you aren't a serious Cup contender you may as well be a lottery team. In fact, being a lottery team is preferable. The path to perpetual mediocrity (and maybe Damascus too) is paved with 7th and 8th seed playoff berths. It's entertainment for the ignorant who think that winning a round matters. No. Picking in the top 5 matters.

I'm well aware he's not a needle mover in the sense of offense but he is a known commodity and should Hughes decide to acquire him it would signal they don't intend on rebuilding past next year.

If he waits for UFA then ya, we may be in for a longer haul with HuGo

The contract is the bigger issue, I'm less worried about the 17th overall pick.

If we trade for him this summer and sign him immediately to a 8 years deal for around the same price as Suzuki, I don't think it's that bad. That takes him to 2031 and he would play the last season of his contract as a 32 years old. 25-32 is a good age range for a contract. He wouldn't be a shortcut/band aid but a core player for the next 8 years.

I'd be wary of trading for him then overpaying him on a contract however.
Basically any trade , his contract is an overpay

PLD is not a core player you build around

He that good already? Like Bedard good?
McKenna?

Who knows. He put up 18 points in 16 games. Which doesn't sound that impressive until you realize it was vs ppl up to 6 years older than him.

McKenna PPG at 14 in whl.
Bedard 2 PPG at 15 in whl.

Will be interesting to watch in the next few years

Back