• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

Krust and Geeman have convinced me, I have had a road to Damascus moment so my new view is this

"I think we should lose deliberately the next 5 years, then at that time, we can trade 14 and 22, think of the haul of more picks, lose some more, then trade Slaf for a huge haul of picks, and so on

Who cares about trying to win or putting on an entertaining product for those paying for the product, what matters is the prospect pool"
Bold of you to think those 3 will have value in 5 years.

Like Bedard, it probably sucks, but it'll be like Erik Karlsson: For all the bad defensive play he makes, he'll make up for it by making twice as many awesome offensive plays that lead to scoring opportunities.

:)
Pretty sure he was mocking Sal

Hypothetical scenario:

Habs get lucky, win lottery draft Bedard.

Jets asking price for PLD is firm: Dach (1-for-1), do u do it?

Bedard + PLD coming in and Habs keep Fla 1st
/ Dach out

Team is still missing our Kuch, Hedman , Point or Nate, Rant, Makar elite core

Not winning a cup with Nick , Cole and Mathieson
So what’s the plan? Don’t add players until we have an elite core, keep offloading our players for picks and prospects until somehow elite players find their way to the team. When should we trade Nick and Cole?

So what’s the plan? Don’t add players until we have an elite core, keep offloading our players for picks and prospects until somehow elite players find their way to the team. When should we trade Nick and Cole?
You know exactly what I am talking about

Keep the rebuild going and lets get better players , no shortcuts

Bandaids to futility got us where we are now

No disrespect to any of our players but those 3 will get you nowhere for a cup run as our main 3

Name me the last team that won a cup with our core skill set right now ? Correct nobody

Keep adding talent but dont be stupid forcing this rebuild , going very well so far

Hope to land Fantilli or Barlow and Slaf develops into a better Landeskog

Patience patience patience

You know exactly what I am talking about

Keep the rebuild going and lets get better players , no shortcuts

Bandaids to futility got us where we are now

No disrespect to any of our players but those 3 will get you nowhere for a cup run as our main 3

Name me the last team that won a cup with our core skill set right now ? Correct nobody

Keep adding talent but dont be stupid forcing this rebuild , going very well so far

Hope to land Fantilli or Barlow and Slaf develops into a better Landeskog

Patience patience patience
My point is what do we do in 5 years when we still don’t have elite players? Slaf is a nice 30-30 players, Will Smith ended up in the Suzuki category. We keep the rinse and repeat? We haven’t had an elite forward since Lafleur, I kinda given hope of even getting another one, doesn’t seem to be something this organization is able to do.

This is why I like taking risks in the draft on high potential. And Dach type trades.

I also like the idea of trading some D prospects for help at centre.

Will need to get lucky in the draft or with a trade.

Habs have not had an issue finding dubios level guys (saku, Dano, pleks, Suzuki, etc). But. Dubios is a winger now. So I'm not even that interested unless he can play centre. We have a shit ton of wingers coming up.

I don't mind the idea of adding another guy at that level BUT not this summer.

I'd like a top 5 centre. And those are extremely difficult to get outside of the top 5 of the draft.

I count 3 in the top 15 points per game that were not top 5 picks. One was 6th, one was 15th, one was second round. More luck outside the top 5 to get a guy in the 16 to 30 range. Suzuki was 40th. Dubios 22nd for LW. Caufield 21 for RW.

My point is what do we do in 5 years when we still don’t have elite players? Slaf is a nice 30-30 players, Will Smith ended up in the Suzuki category. We keep the rinse and repeat? We haven’t had an elite forward since Lafleur, I kinda given hope of even getting another one, doesn’t seem to be something this organization is able to do.
You keep retooling based on what you are in the hierarchy year after year

The above you mentioned isnt rinse and repeat , its a step moving forward with more asset accumulation , and maybe an opportunity to trade for a player or move up in the draft

Rinse and repeat is wasting cap space on 11 and Price or giving PLD 8 mil just because he is French and available

Team is 2 years away from determining the next step in development

What prospects have graduated or are close to making the team ?

2/3 of this team might be dumped in 2 years , massive turnover in the making .

I dont want to add a vet on a long term deal until the time is right and team is ready to compete

This is why I like taking risks in the draft on high potential. And Dach type trades.

I also like the idea of trading some D prospects for help at centre.

Will need to get lucky in the draft or with a trade.

Habs have not had an issue finding dubios level guys (saku, Dano, pleks, Suzuki, etc). But. Dubios is a winger now. So I'm not even that interested unless he can play centre. We have a shit ton of wingers coming up.

I don't mind the idea of adding another guy at that level BUT not this summer.

I'd like a top 5 centre. And those are extremely difficult to get outside of the top 5 of the draft.

I count 3 in the top 15 points per game that were not top 5 picks. One was 6th, one was 15th, one was second round. More luck outside the top 5 to get a guy in the 16 to 30 range. Suzuki was 40th. Dubios 22nd for LW. Caufield 21 for RW.
Thats why I want to start dangling some prospects to move up

Lets suppose a top prospect falls to 10 and you can add Mesar plus Florida`s pick to get that player , do it .

Team has the assets to get creative like Hugo did with Dach .

Lafleur wasn’t even “elite” his first 4-seasons and he was drafted at 20.

Part of the issue IMO, has been the absolute mandate of 200-ft game which is what held Lafleur back at the start of his career, Scotty simply didn’t trust him.

MSL is the 1st coach in my lifetime following Habs who , at least till now, doesn’t seem to be cut from that mindset, so that’s possibly a very favorable unknown for offensively gifted players..

Even Demers, albeit offensively minded for his era, was a goalie out station to station system, unlike MSLs concept game

Back