• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

League executives insist the Ducks, preparing for a full rebuild, want to be busy at the deadline and they’re open to just about any possibility, including taking bad contracts in exchange for prospects and picks. The belief is Murray isn’t willing to trade just anybody on his roster, but he’s certainly open for talks on several fronts.

"including taking bad contracts in exchange for prospects and picks. "

Gee, that's a novel thought. I wonder if someone here has been saying a certain GM should have been doing that for the last 3 years or so...

That’s how we got Armia.

Yeah. And it's worked wonders. Which leads me to continue asking: Why haven't we done it more often? With all the leftover capspace from last year & all the leftover capspace this year...

I've always thought that, by signing a upper tear player free agent to a one year contract (paying him more due to the short contract) and for the sole purpose of trading at the deadline, would be a good way of keeping the farm team healthy. Every year you'd get a first rounder (if lucky) for that free agent. Just thinking out loud.

Name me one upper tier UFA that would sign a one year deal. There's only one who ever did it and it was Marian Hossa in the hopes of winning a Cup in Detroit.

When the players crack free agency for the first time, they're not like Marian Hossa. They want generational wealth and stability.

Name me one upper tier UFA that would sign a one year deal. There's only one who ever did it and it was Marian Hossa in the hopes of winning a Cup in Detroit.

When the players crack free agency for the first time, they're not like Marian Hossa. They want generational wealth and stability.
you don't think a (let's pretend) a 4-5 million dollar player won't accept a one year contract at, let's say 6 or 7 million?

you don't think a (let's pretend) a 4-5 million dollar player won't accept a one year contract at, let's say 6 or 7 million?

Thats a third-fourth tier player your paying . That player is also near the end of his career

That player might be the missing piece to a cup or a vet to mentor kids

Its like saying a 40- 50 point Getzlaf signs 1 year to play with Stamkos and try to win a cup

So?

Do you think players like Anthony Duclair, who are in the middle of a career year and is a pending UFA, is thinking about getting a one year deal?

Hell no. They're trying to secure the most money and term possible. If a player like Duclair takes that one year deal, then falls back to what he was in Chicago/Columbus/Phoenix in that season, he just lost out on an untold amount of money.

[Edit] Duclair's a Pending RFA, but my point remains.

I would think MB already talked to Kovalchuk's agent prior to signing saying he could rejuvenate his career and be moved at deadline.

Yeah. And it's worked wonders. Which leads me to continue asking: Why haven't we done it more often? With all the leftover capspace from last year & all the leftover capspace this year...

Deals are probably not as plentiful as you imagine.

Deals are probably not as plentiful as you imagine.

I see Carolina get Toronto's first for Marleau. I think they're available, but that there aren't enough DGs willing to take on those crippling contracts.

I'd be calling Calgary night and day to get Milan Lucic along with two firsts.

Didn't Marleau have a no trade clause? He decided where to land...and I bet a high proportion of these crippling contracts contain no movement clauses.

I love the idea, but I'm not sure it's as easy as you make it out to be.

Back