• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

at least one or two legit top 6 away. It's the weakest link. And no you don't gut this team.

Two, maybe even three.

We need a legitimate 1st line right winger and a legitimate second line left winger. And while I think Galchenyuk will be that #1 center one day, he isn't close to that right now.

Well some of the Habs fans here have been running around yelling the sky is falling since Wednesday... and some have been doing it since the early 80s.

Well 2 Cups in a span of 35 years and zero in the past 22 years is a large enough sample size for us to conclude that yes, indeed it is falling. Hell, not "falling". It's already fallen.

Exactly, we all know they need a first line RW.

One wasn't available at the deadline.... there also won't be one in UFA this summer.... we have to find a way to trade for one who is under contract.

Doesn't mean you take a team that already has a Hart Trophy goalie, a Norris D, and a top ten goal scoring wing and gut it.

and they have to find a way to keep Petry on this team. imo.

Two, maybe even three.

We need a legitimate 1st line right winger and a legitimate second line left winger. And while I think Galchenyuk will be that #1 center one day, he isn't close to that right now.

won't turn down 3. But I will take one for starters.

definitive word, starters

Well 2 Cups in a span of 35 years and zero in the past 22 years is a large enough sample size for us to conclude that yes, indeed it is falling. Hell, not "falling". It's already fallen.
There are 30 teams in a league designed for parity (salary cap, draft order, free agency). Dynasties are dead.

Are you ****ing kidding me with this thread? This is precisely why Habs fans get mocked.

I live in the Eastern Townships, and while there are a tonne of Habs fans here in Shebrooke and surrounding areas, there are also a lot of Leafs/Bruins/Penguins fans as well, and part of the reason they say they will not cheer for the Habs is because of the fans. They do not want to be part of this type "fanbase".

There are 30 teams in a league designed for parity (salary cap, draft order, free agency). Dynasties are dead.

Maybe no one wins 4 or 5 in a row but how about the Kings and Blackhawks? I'd happily settle for 2 cups in 4 or 5 years.

And just because (allegedly) dynasties are no longer possible is that any reason to shrug your shoulders and just give up? The fact that dynasties are rare shouldn't be an excuse not to try or to be content with failure.

You do not find it ironic, that the person who wants to gut the team is the one chiding another for giving up.

Pot meet kettle.

Gutting this team would be stupid. A couple of senior players who are unable to lead when the going gets tough needs to be pushed out.

And Therrien should be on the bubble, even if they win this series.

You do not find it ironic, that the person who wants to gut the team is the one chiding another for giving up.

Pot meet kettle.

I don't follow you. How is gutting the team giving up? NOT gutting it would be giving up. That's what the Penguins are doing. They're keeping all the key people in place, the same people who failed miserably this season. And next year they'll expect a different result; the very definition of insanity.

If you want different results you have to change things. In the context of a sports team "change" means getting rid of players/coaches/GM's/scouts and replacing them with different people. The only thing you're "giving up" on is the group that has already proven itself to be a failure.

Maybe no one wins 4 or 5 in a row but how about the Kings and Blackhawks? I'd happily settle for 2 cups in 4 or 5 years.

And just because (allegedly) dynasties are no longer possible is that any reason to shrug your shoulders and just give up? The fact that dynasties are rare shouldn't be an excuse not to try or to be content with failure.
Its not being content with failure. Its having patience that a core woth a 26 year old likely hart/vezina winner, a 24 year old norris winner, a 25 year old top 10 nhl scorer, a 21 year old former 3rd overall pick who is the highest scorer in his draft.... you give a core like that more than 3 years before we start screaming to blow jt all up.

Gutting this team would be stupid. A couple of senior players who are unable to lead when the going gets tough needs to be pushed out.

And Therrien should be on the bubble, even if they win this series.

You can't get rid of everyone all at once but by "gut" I mean that Bergevin has to be willing to mess with the core, not just fiddle around with the fringe players. I'm talking about real change, not merely exchanging 4 quarters for a buck. You cannot declare that none of your top 6 or your top 4 defencemen are untouchable. They haven't earned any security. That's not to say you look to move all of them, but you should be open to the idea at least.

I wouldn't give up on Max just yet but it would depend on who was coming the other way. But no, I wouldn't necessarily be peddling him. Pleks, DD, Emelin, Eller, Markov...make me an offer. None of those guys are untouchable.

If we have was the gm the 2009 hawks failed against the red wings in the playoffs... he would have blown it all up with those proven failures.

The 2011 kings who lost in the first round to vancouver and would have been blown up for their proven failures.

The 2003; 2004, 2006 and 2007 red wings showed that datsyuk and zetterberg were failures... why didnt ken holland blow it all up?

Its not being content with failure. Its having patience that a core woth a 26 year old likely hart/vezina winner, a 24 year old norris winner, a 25 year old top 10 nhl scorer, a 21 year old former 3rd overall pick who is the highest scorer in his draft.... you give a core like that more than 3 years before we start screaming to blow jt all up.

Maybe your definition of core is different than mine or at least narrower than mine. I'm not saying we should trade Price, Galchenyuk or Subban. I'm talking about that "other" core. You know, Desharnais, Plekanec, Markov, Eller, Emelin.

As for Max it's less about trying to trade him and more about seeing what other teams might offer us in return. I have doubts about his continued effectiveness given his concussion issues. I wonder if his value will ever be higher than right now.

filip forsberg

flip forsberg
Highest scorer in a draft class is based on career points. Even then we all still have high hopes for chuckys future and the fact he is part of this core.

Beaulieu and gallagher are two others who have proven that they should move forward with this core.

Eller needs to be more consistent but could be another piece to move forward with.

Back