• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sinclair/Ballys/ESPN/TNT ... broadcasting access, tips and notes

With ESPN+ showing 1000+ games, how would the NHL get away with their own streaming service? They would be completely undercutting the partner they just signed a deal for billions with.

With ESPN+ showing 1000+ games, how would the NHL get away with their own streaming service? They would be completely undercutting the partner they just signed a deal for billions with.
And the partner that runs their website.

Like I said ... no homework. Pretty sure that's one of those niche sites that really doesn't care that much about anything other than their focus, which in this case is tech, gaming and gadgets. Sadly the internet is overflowing with that junk

Bill Shea, who covers sports business for The Athletic tweeted that Sinclair plans a soft launch of its live game streaming app for 5 baseball teams in Q2, contingent on the resolution of the lockout. It will be rolled out to the 12 NHL and 16 NBA teams it has the rights to later in the year.

Bill Shea, who covers sports business for The Athletic tweeted that Sinclair plans a soft launch of its live game streaming app for 5 baseball teams in Q2, contingent on the resolution of the lockout. It will be rolled out to the 12 NHL and 16 NBA teams it has the rights to later in the year.

Good. I will try it. Cheaper than adding spectrum just for hockey season. Although the Norton VPN and ESPN+ has been working pretty good.

On their quarterly earnings call, Sinclair announced the soft launch of direct to consumer streaming app called Bally Sports +. It will be $189.99 annually or $19.99 per month. It will allow access on a regional basis, so if you live outside the Bally Sports South market, you won’t be able to stream Canes games. That also means that Jeffbear won’t be able to use the app to watch his St. Louis Cardinals.

On their quarterly earnings call, Sinclair announced the soft launch of direct to consumer streaming app called Bally Sports +. It will be $189.99 annually or $19.99 per month. It will allow access on a regional basis, so if you live outside the Bally Sports South market, you won’t be able to stream Canes games. That also means that Jeffbear won’t be able to use the app to watch his St. Louis Cardinals.

Seems fairly expensive for what it is then..

In a vacuum, the $20 a month is a bit expensive but there are a LOT of people paying for various subscriptions that they wouldn't have otherwise just to access games now. I could pay Bally $20 and go back to my preferred streaming TV provider, for example. Limiting it to native region seems ... ummm ... dumb, but whatever. Now, do we trust Bally to get the infrastructure right so we get a decent product for that money? Because I ... don't

In a vacuum, the $20 a month is a bit expensive but there are a LOT of people paying for various subscriptions that they wouldn't have otherwise just to access games now. I could pay Bally $20 and go back to my preferred streaming TV provider, for example. Limiting it to native region seems ... ummm ... dumb, but whatever. Now, do we trust Bally to get the infrastructure right so we get a decent product for that money? Because I ... don't
I’ll pay the $20 just so I don’t have to go back to Spectrum. Worth it

NESN is the first RSN to go DTC. For $30 per month you get Sox and Bs games, plus 8 tickets to any Sox game. Annual sub is $330. Only available in New England because MLB owns out of market (and it’s probably cheaper to buy mlb.tv & ESPN+ if you’re out of market).

Edit: Mlb.tv + ESPN+ is far cheaper than $30 per month.

Last edited:
NESN is the first RSN to go DTC. For $30 per month you get Sox and Bs games, plus 8 tickets to any Sox game. Annual sub is $330. Only available in New England because MLB owns out of market (and it’s probably cheaper to buy mlb.tv & ESPN+ if you’re out of market).
Makes sense, they’re not affiliated with any broadcasters, NESN is a joint venture of Fenway Sports Group, which owns the Red Sox and Delaware North, which owns the TD Garden. Delaware North is owned by the Jacob’s family, which owns the Bruins. The other RSNs “affiliated” with teams like YES, MSG, MASN and Marquee have Sinclair as a partner.

Makes sense, they’re not affiliated with any broadcasters, NESN is a joint venture of Fenway Sports Group, which owns the Red Sox and Delaware North, which owns the TD Garden. Delaware North is owned by the Jacob’s family, which owns the Bruins. The other RSNs “affiliated” with teams like YES, MSG, MASN and Marquee have Sinclair as a partner.
I don't believe MSG Network has any connection to Sinclair. It is wholly owned by Madison Square Garden Entertainment.

I don't believe MSG Network has any connection to Sinclair. It is wholly owned by Madison Square Garden Entertainment.
Yeah, MSG is a true independent and their native market is so big that I don't think they've given much thought to direct to consumer app stuff. I'm sure they'll get there eventually, but the NY television market is the size of most small to medium sized countries. They'd be looking at an app based product more to pick up the New York diaspora in other markets.

It’s shown as an “affiliate” but not owned by Sinclair. So I’m not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things.

It appears that Bally Sports+ is doing a soft launch in five mlb markets in a few days. The price is going to come in at $20/month or $190 for an annual subscription. Assuming that the app comes here and has the Canes, you'd have to buy 7 months to get the whole regular season (and that would get you the first round of the playoffs too). So you'd be looking at $140. Seems a bit steep.

There are probably some people for whom this would work. Consider if you get a cable package for $100 just to get the RSN but you could drop down to a $70 package to get most everything else. Probably some others who would like to watch the games but gave it up because they couldn't afford (or refused to pay) a bloated cable package price just to get the RSN.

Back