• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Svech Signs, 8 Years, $7.75 million AAV

Good point JB. It helps when the team has won a Cup or has just barely missed and is on the cusp. I don't think the Canes are quite there yet. Dougie obviously wasn't willing to take a big haircut to stick it out with the Canes Cup drive.

Last edited:
Good point JB. It helps when the team has won a Cup or has just barely missed and is on the cusp. I don't think the Canes are quite there yet. Dougie obviously wasn't willing to take a big haircut to stick it out with the Canes Cup drive.
Yup ... but from what I'm seeing from the stats guys that I trust, Svech didn't take that much of a haircut either. Dom at the Athletic had him pegged at like $8.25 mil AAV on a long term deal and I think the Twins had him at $8 million even. So, at the most he's taking a half a mil less per year. That's enough to fit the "wants to win here and believes it can happen" zone.

Apply that to Dougie and his "haircut" zone would have been $8.5 mil or so, which is still well higher than the Canes reported final offer.

If the Canes were at 7 and Dougie said he needed 8.5 the Canes best offer is unknown. All we know is that it’s less than what Dougie said he needed and could get.

If the Canes were at 7 and Dougie said he needed 8.5 the Canes best offer is unknown. All we know is that it’s less than what Dougie said he needed and could get.
Prolly should have said "supposed final offer" ... whatever. They were balking at wherever Dougie ended up, so the other stuff is kind of irrelevant.

The nice thing about Svech is he is still a player that has the untapped potential to grow into a consistent 30-40 goal guy that can be a game breaker offensively once he becomes the complete player that Roddy has been grooming him to be. If some of his numbers tick up to a point where we all expect him to be, than the $7.5 per will seem like even more of a steal for the Canes.

Oh ... 100%, and the thing about Svech is that he consistently drives play from the wing. That combined with the physical presence and the scoring is what makes him special. He doesn't need a big time playmaker centering his line, and he can make a scoring center even more effective. People who are getting bogged down in his last season when his shooting percentage hit the skids are missing the big picture by a good mile. All players have those years, and this is not a guy who's some sort of pure sniper. The question is whether not guys add value even when they can't find the net, and Svech is a guy who does that. Is he perfect? Nope. Is he a finished product? I don't think so. This is a solid value contract that could fairly easily turn into a tremendous value contract.

Actually, Dom's model had Svech's open market value at $9.9 million.
Yeah ... but Dom's RFA contract value had him at around $8.25. Once again, I probably framed it inaccurately ... but the number for the apples to apples comparison is more correct. Dom's open market number assumes a free market, which assumes UFA status. And, actually checking this stuff, the Twins had him at $8.07

Either way, it's currently good value not great value ... unless his production takes off, which is as likely to happen as not IMO.

Yeah ... but Dom's RFA contract value had him at around $8.25. Once again, I probably framed it inaccurately ... but the number for the apples to apples comparison is more correct. Dom's open market number assumes a free market, which assumes UFA status. And, actually checking this stuff, the Twins had him at $8.07

Either way, it's currently good value not great value ... unless his production takes off, which is as likely to happen as not IMO.

outstanding move at 7.75

Back