• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tank Nation Thread

I'm not feeling great either, it's not a great team by any means. We lack elite talent and our backend is really suspect, but we've blown a ton of very winnable games this year. It's not that we can't score (even though it's never easy), and we've often dominated games for long stretches, but we can't protect a lead to save our life. I have a big problem with that last part.

How can anyone feel great GW .

Our best players are either on the wrong side of 30 , getting to the scary late 20’s and looking to get paid , or are just support pieces .

We are banking on on the 2017+ drafts to fix this mess

Other than Nick there is nothing to look forward to next year unless the ping pong balls help out

My main gripe with this team is the same as when The Charlatan first took over:

What is the identity of this team?

It's like every 2 or 3 years, we've gone in completely different directions and now we're a team that is mismatched and poorly built.

I’d be ok with Bergeron, Pasta and Marchand. Drafted sans tanking.

The Bruins, it pains me to say, are the ideal model over the last 10+ years. They rid themselves of Joe Thornton and got little in return, didn't appear to be going anywhere. They've had drafts where they seemed to pick all the wrong guys. In the time span,however they have been to 3 finals, winning one. And all ,like you say, without tanking. Just watching them play these days, they continue to be a good, good team.

The Bruins, it pains me to say, are the ideal model over the last 10+ years. They rid themselves of Joe Thornton and got little in return, didn't appear to be going anywhere. They've had drafts where they seemed to pick all the wrong guys. In the time span,however they have been to 3 finals, winning one. And all ,like you say, without tanking. Just watching them play these days, they continue to be a good, good team.

If they scored in the 20125 draft , they would have a dynasty

They are very lucky that Bergeron and Krejci havent declined

Bottom line you can retool on the fly and be competitive for a decade

If they scored in the 20125 draft , they would have a dynasty

They are very lucky that Bergeron and Krejci havent declined

Bottom line you can retool on the fly and be competitive for a decade

They also hit the jackpot with Pasternak, regardless of whether that was because of good fortune or astute drafting, or a bit of both.

I feel like I have been wanting a hard tank for 13 years and it feels like I have been right for 13 years. I feel like the team knows better financially certain strategies that work and obviously tanking to have a contending team isn't that? The question is, if this team will never take the necessary measures to be good and compete for a Stanley cup, either financially or incompetence driven, why still stay fans of this crappy run team? I rarely watch games anymore, but I find myself questioning why I follow them if this team will never have a real chance.

Everything goes back to drafting. You can't go for 8 straight drafts developing only 5 NHLers, which includes the likes of Beaulieu and De La Rose, with Galchenyuk about to be out of the league. It's amazing that we're not actually worse than we are now in retrospect. We would have actually been better served trading all our picks every year.

Still not sure how Timmins survived such a streak of mediocrity. If you exclude 2007, when someone clearly body swapped with him, the only somewhat impactful players he drafted in the other 12 drafts (ignoring the last 3 because it's too early) has been Price, Gallagher and Streit.

Everything goes back to drafting. You can't go for 8 straight drafts developing only 5 NHLers, which includes the likes of Beaulieu and De La Rose, with Galchenyuk about to be out of the league. It's amazing that we're not actually worse than we are now in retrospect. We would have actually been better served trading all our picks every year.

Still not sure how Timmins survived such a streak of mediocrity. If you exclude 2007, when someone clearly body swapped with him, the only somewhat impactful players he drafted in the other 12 drafts (ignoring the last 3 because it's too early) has been Price, Gallagher and Streit.

yep drafting and developing have been real bad

Bruins also got Chara to sign as a UFA....that kick started their rise to success. Call me when someone like Chara signs with us. Or someone like Hossa.

Habs don't seem to understand that they have to re-invent themselves to 2020.....they cannot keep riding the 1970's nostalgia of being ''The Model Team of the NHL''

Re-invent means you get your stars from the draft, not from trades or UFA, but purely from the draft.....you ride these players on their cheap contracts until they become UFA, then you trade them. Not getting a stud player while drafting twice in top 3 in past decade is inexcusable.

Price should've been traded before we needed to re-up him....we never should have acquired Weber, even though we won that trade (well for me we won that trade).

Guys like Drouin, Domi, Danault are good players to keep because they are relatively cheap.......Gally should not be re-upped. But this team will re-up him because he brings heart-character.....well Weber was also supposed to bring heart and character, and we haven't made playoffs often in last 5 years, even with Gally's 30 goals per season.

I feel like I have been wanting a hard tank for 13 years and it feels like I have been right for 13 years. I feel like the team knows better financially certain strategies that work and obviously tanking to have a contending team isn't that? The question is, if this team will never take the necessary measures to be good and compete for a Stanley cup, either financially or incompetence driven, why still stay fans of this crappy run team? I rarely watch games anymore, but I find myself questioning why I follow them if this team will never have a real chance.
The fans will not bail, molson will continue to make his money, the franchise will continue to increase in value and in the end, nothing will change.

The only way to get to molson is to hit him in the pocketbook, but as long as the fans keep paying to watch mediocre team after mediocre team, that won't happen.

The fans will not bail, molson will continue to make his money, the franchise will continue to increase in value and in the end, nothing will change.

The only way to get to molson is to hit him in the pocketbook, but as long as the fans keep paying to watch mediocre team after mediocre team, that won't happen.

So what if we hit him in the wallet , its still 5 years to respectability even with a proper plan

This isnt the EPL where I can buy half a team with a few hundred mil

So what if we hit him in the wallet , its still 5 years to respectability even with a proper plan

This isnt the EPL where I can buy half a team with a few hundred mil
5 years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

Did you have other plans?

Back