• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tennis/many Canucks to cheer for now

Bermygoon

Milos Raonic is a name Canadians should learn quickly, he has made it into the fourth round of the Australian Open and by all analysis this 20 year old look like he has some serious promise to be a big time player. Although born in Serbia he calls Thornhill home and rocked the tennis world with a beat down of number ten in the world Mikhail Youzhny. He is slated to play David Ferrer next round which will be an extremely difficult match. Even if he doesn't win this has been a major break through for Raonic and Canadian tennis.

Anyone watching the Australian open? Who is everyone's picks for the winners? Anyone think Nadal will hold all four grand slams?

My picks are Stosur and Roger.

Re: Australian Open/the kid from Thornhill

watched his final set, very impressive by the kid. also on the womens side a Canadian got to the 3rd round before being elimiated by a high ranked player.

top players have been pretty dominant so far besides that Federer hick up (5 set match). Shaping up to be a good 2nd week thats for sure (too bad for the crappy times its on though)

Cilic vs Isner should be a good match tonight though

I hope Federer wins. Always liked him.

I have always like Raonic, have met him/know him. Played many times in juniors.... only guy in canada that i ahve played that can clearly out serve me

Yeah time change for Australia is rough but PVR has made it a lot easier. Hopefully they show Raonic's whole next match, would really like to see what this kid has got. Apparently Canada also has a few other young kids coming down the line.

Wow trujay, that is impressive. What is juniors in Canada consist of? How is it formed, how are matches scheduled, etc?

I HATE watching male tennis players with two handed backhands. Its killed the sport. Its clone tennis.

Last edited:

And why watch that dreary video? Some MKultra Manchurian hauls off and starts shooting. What has that got to do with a tall kid with a big serve that is probably going to end up being a doubles player?

And Federer has a major weakness on the backhand that he has stubborn refused to heal. He will only beat Nadal if Nadal hurts his knee. Otherwise its a pounding.

Milos Raonic is a name Canadians should learn quickly, he has made it into the fourth round of the Australian Open and by all analysis this 20 year old look like he has some serious promise to be a big time player. Although born in Serbia he calls Thornhill home and rocked the tennis world with a beat down of number ten in the world Mikhail Youzhny. He is slated to play David Ferrer next round which will be an extremely difficult match. Even if he doesn't win this has been a major break through for Raonic and Canadian tennis.

Anyone watching the Australian open? Who is everyone's picks for the winners? Anyone think Nadal will hold all four grand slams?

My picks are Stosur and Roger.

If he beats Ferrer I will believe in this guy. Youzhny has been on the verge of finished for a while now. And Llodra is injued. Kid caught a break. Wouldn't be the first Canadian to make some noise. But we have never had one maintain.

My old nemesis Snajder(always lost 7-6 in the third to the guy) should have stayed at the top, but his wife talked him into buying six houses in Texas at the TOP of the Real Estate Market.

And womens tennis has fallen down the stairs if Stosur wins the Open. Ugggghhh. No way Federer wins.

He doesn't have to beat Ferrer to already have had a great tournament. He was a qualifier! first time a qualifier has made it this far since 1999 Gilberts said. 1999!

I personally love watching tennis, it is so different than watching hockey as it isn't a team game. Two guys control everything, so compelling.

Tennis bugs me now. Its gotten institutional, like everything else. You cannot build a super player any more like you used to be able to, unless you have a country that has a certain amount of big tournaments that they can hand out spots to their key players.

Friend of mine has a talented kid, and they went to four qualifying tournaments ON SPEC, and didn't get into ONE of them. That is a deal killer for me.

My son could make the NHL and play pro tennis imo, but I will discourage him from doing either. Better to make 500k in the forex market a year and take down as many women as possible.

He won the first set 6-4 against David Ferrer.

Wow this is crazy, this guy looks awesome. 20 years old!!!! Such a good match already and it is the second set.

Wow he serves 138 to Ferrer body and apologizes for it. This kid is canadian. Who apologizes because their serve is too hard!?

1-1.

Needs to tighten his game up early in the 3rd here. if he loses this set he is done. This kid does not fold under pressure, never has

He also needs to stop making so many unforced errors. Too many of his shots going right into the net.

tall young kid, that will be his game.... he is going to make mistakes. he needs to stop hitting drop volleys, don't know what it is with him and frank that make them this it is a good idea

That is okay, he got a ton of experience this tournament. I am sure he was a little overwhelmed with everything going on and the potential that is before him. Like gilbert said he will qualify for the 250s and 500s now and can win a few of those and then he will be ready for the big time. His serve is going to be the biggest in tennis within one year, how sick is that.

Well he for sure vaulted into a special place in the sick, sick world of pro tennis. He gains the valuable points to get into bigger tournaments. Breakthroughs are what guys need to do, to get anywhere.

His game is everything I dislike about sports now. He is a insanely tall, has really fast hands and moves like a tree. He could be out of the game at any time, as he cheats with his running a lot. He reminds me of the kids I see coming into hockey now. No hips, but everything else. And horrible to watch. If you like watching mobility. Its all hand.

His serve and hand speed could carve out some kind of a career for him as long as he doesn't rack up the big time injuries. With his lack of hip strength, this guy is a back injury waiting to happen, and the daily grind of pro tennis is always pleased to deliver it.

Back