• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2019-2020 MotherFucking Season Thread

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Yeah, commodore protecting his ego I get but theres a long history of Babcock being a complete twat to certain players and blowing others a ridiculous amount. I had forgotten about the modano story...1499 games, ffs.

How he treated spezza for the opener was dickish as well in that vein. Allegedly spezza had 30 people at the opener.

LeafGm

On the one hand, Mike Commodore wasn't a very good NHL defenseman at the best of times, let alone when he got to Detroit at the end of his career. And there's no doubt that all of his stories are exaggerated at least somewhat to make himself look better.

For example, even if a body fat test is somewhat flawed, if it's showing you're at 22%, you're probably not in tip-top shape and are making excuses for yourself. And in the St-Louis game he was talking about, where he claimed to have played one or two shifts before getting thrown on at the end of the game and taking a penalty, his time on ice for that game was actually 6:40. Still hilariously low, but not just one or two shifts.

One the other hand, a lot of his experience with Babcock sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it? Almost to the point where it seems like part of his coaching strategy. You pick out one player every year, and seemingly do everything within your power to **** over their careers. Endless healthy scratches, leaving a guy in the press box while recent call-ups play ahead of them, putting them into a position to fail by randomly throwing them in to one game after they've been sitting for a month, give them a tiny amount of ice-time and then throw them right back into the press box.

No matter what you think of Frankie Corrado, Josh Leivo, Justin Holl or whoever else I'm forgetting, never before in my life as a hockey fan have I seen an NHL coach treat a player like that, or healthy-scratch a player 65-70 times in a single season.

BeLeafer

resurrected
One the other hand, a lot of his experience with Babcock sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it? Almost to the point where it seems like part of his coaching strategy. You pick out one player every year, and seemingly do everything within your power to **** over their careers. Endless healthy scratches, leaving a guy in the press box while recent call-ups play ahead of them, putting them into a position to fail by randomly throwing them in to one game after they've been sitting for a month, give them a tiny amount of ice-time and then throw them right back into the press box.

No matter what you think of Frankie Corrado, Josh Leivo, Justin Holl or whoever else I'm forgetting, never before in my life as a hockey fan have I seen an NHL coach treat a player like that, or healthy-scratch a player 65-70 times in a single season.
Yeah, this is the thing that just seems off about the guy. That's potentially career destroying behaviour when doing it to guys just trying to break in near the tail end of the development curve. Hard to find a rationale for that behaviour -- it seems sadistic.

trujaysfan

If anyone wants leafs tickets for tuesday let me know. I have a pair available $275 total (2nd deck, 4th row on the isle, leafs shoot twice)

Reactions: BG

zeke

Even Strength Usage (not including empty net minutes)

Tavares 13:45, A+ qoc (2:59pp, 0:01pk)
Marner 13:21, A+ qoc (3:04pp, 2:11pk)
Kapanen 12:43, A+ qoc (2:47pp, 1:24pk)

Matthews 13:56, A+ qoc (3:18pp, 0:01pk)
Nylander 13:08, A+ qoc (2:26pp, 0:00pk)
Johnsson 12:42, A qoc (2:50pp, 0:00pk)

Kerfoot 11:25, A- qoc (2:51pp, 0:01pk)
Mikheyev 12:36, B qoc (0:08pp, 2:08pk)
Moore 10:42, B- qoc (1:26pp, 1:19pk)

Shore 7:58, B qoc (0:02pp, 0:30pk)
Timashov 8:52, B qoc (0:04pp, 0:13pk)
Gauthier 8:38, D+ qoc (0:06pp, 0:42pk)
Spezza 6:50, F qoc (2:02pp, 0:56pk)
Petan 7:09, F qoc (0:00pp, 0:00pk)

Rielly 17:20, A++ qoc (3:18pp, 1:52pk)
Ceci 17:43, A++ qoc (0:10pp, 2:40pk)

Muzzin 19:13, A- qoc (0:15pp, 2:09pk)
Barrie 17:45, A- qoc (2:33pp, 0:00pk)

Sandin 11:19, D+ qoc (0:00pp, 0:17pk)
Holl 10:30, D qoc (0:00pp, 1:33pk)
Marincin 8:01, C qoc (0:00pp, 1:53pk)

PP1: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Johnsson, Rielly
PP2: Nylander, Kerfoot, Kapanen, Moore/Spezza, Barrie

PK1: Marner, Mikheyev, Ceci, Muzzin
PK2: Kapanen, Moore, Rielly, Holl/Marincin
PK3: Gauthier, Shore/Spezza

zeke

Actually don't mind it. He was struggling and barely playing. And there's big upside to sliding his elc another year.

Meanwhile lilly's been great so far as the marlies #1D. Still hoping for a dermott-Lilly pair sooner rather than later.

BeLeafer

resurrected
I'm fine with sending Sandin down. He's been okay but he's not getting enough ice time that's important for his development.

Glad to see Gravel get the nod. I've really wanted to see what this guy can do in a bottom pairing role.

LeafGm

I'm ok with this move too. We had the luxury of getting Sandin into some games to start the year because of Dermott's injury, and had he blown the doors off we would've found a way to keep him.

But since he was "ok, just ok", I don't mind him going back down to the Marlies to play big minutes, and avoiding burning a year off his ELC for now.

LeafGm

Looks like while he's over in Russia scouting for prospects & undrafted free agents, Dubas is looking at guys with previous NHL experience too:

Grigorenko's an interesting one. 6'3" center that put up huge numbers in the QMJHL and was drafted 12th overall by Buffalo in 2012. Buffalo bounced him around between junior, the AHL & the NHL for a couple of years before trading him to Colorado in the Ryan O'Reilly deal.

In Colorado, he bounced around between a lot of different line mates, but got some not insignificant auditions with Colorado's top forwards (Duchene, MacKinnon, Rantanen) and still didn't really pan out as far as his offensive production goes.

Since going to the KHL, he's turned himself into a PPG player over there last year and so far this year.

zeke

So everyone's freaking out about rielly-ceci's defense.

They're getting (by far) the toughest matchups, yet....

xGA/60

Rielly 1.71
Ceci 1.84

Muzzin 2.25
Barrie 2.43

Holl 2.13
Sandin 2.33
Marincin 2.58

GA/60

Ceci 2.51
Rielly 3.13

Muzzin 3.48
Barrie 4.37

Holl 1.74
Sandin 2.11
Marincin 3.86

The big problem with rielly-ceci so far has actually been a lack of offense notndefense - and that's tied directly to playing most minutes with the ineffective tavares line.

BeLeafer

resurrected
Maybe Dubas just wants to keep him away from The Cock until he fires him?
So everyone's freaking out about rielly-ceci's defense.

They're getting (by far) the toughest matchups, yet....

xGA/60

Rielly 1.71
Ceci 1.84

Muzzin 2.25
Barrie 2.43

Holl 2.13
Sandin 2.33
Marincin 2.58
OMG!!! zeke is now using the stats that he told me were no good.