• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Difference Between Winning and Not Losing

So I just got done reading Chapter 7 of the book Top Dog: The Science of Winning and Losing by Bronson & Merryman, which was titled "The Difference Between Winning and Not Losing". The context of the chapter is self-explanatory, but matches what I was talking to a buddy about during last night's game.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Dog-Science-Winning-Losing/dp/1455515159/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390149430&sr=8-1&keywords=Top+Dog

As built, our Leafs are best when we push the pace, trade chances and ultimately loosen up our defense in an effort to try and score goals. That's what got us the lead in the latter half of the 2nd period and also pushed us back ahead in the latter half of the 3rd.

Now, this style isn't conducive to winning EVERY game. But, I believe that on a skill-for-skill basis, we have one of the more talented teams in the league. We don't grind it out like other teams do, can't lock down defensively like some teams, etc. When it comes to capitalizing on chances however, we have guys that can make plays and convert.

Even look back to last year's playoff series with Boston. We started to shine when WE HAD NOTHING TO LOSE. We were down 3-1 in the series, so anything we did from that point forward was a bonus. In everyone's mind we were finished. So we pushed the pace, played a little more wide open and started to score. Fast-forward to the point where we are favorites in game 7 and the narrative changes. We all know the story.

We're fast. We're skilled. We suck at shutting the game down when we have a 1-2 goal lead late.

Randy Carlyle, I ask this of you. PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. From here on out, put our skill guys out until the final buzzer and keep pushing the pace. Don't let off the gas pedal.

Back