• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fantastically Beautiful Joyously Superfun 22-23 Season Celebration Thread

and a nice bonus of the call-up.....it looks like for maybe the first time all year the Leafs will be icing a team with zero negative GSVA players on it.

Interesting that McMann bumps back up with Kampf and Kerf with Holmberg and Anderson.

Not a huge shock given how good McMann looked on that line before but still a bit surprising to see Kerf on what looks like it must be the 4th line, even when he's not needed at C there.

and looks like Mitch and Matthews are back together. And i have to say this is probably the right move...the top 2 lines had gone a bit stale again. Don't mind switching them up anytime they go stale.

It was interesting seeing Mayfield get beaten badly a bunch of times last night. He's a guy that I actually like, he's legit tough and has usually had quite good nerdies, but his skating seems to be a real issue and probably was only suited for the super tight defensive style the Isles played under Trotz. I went over to the HFIsles board to get a taste of what they think about him and they're far less enthused about him than they used to be, with not really any of them wanting him re-signed this offseason, and even their trade return guesses seeming pretty cheap. I would have counted him as one of those "similar to Holl but tougher" guys, but now i'm not so sure he'd fit in very well here.

To be honest I agree with Keefe's praising of Tavares that period - for my money he was the guy making the hard plays out there, despite Willy capitalizing on all the points.
He played out of his mind last night. Deserved four points too.

and looks like Mitch and Matthews are back together. And i have to say this is probably the right move...the top 2 lines had gone a bit stale again. Don't mind switching them up anytime they go stale.
That’s the luxury of having these four guys. Switch ‘‘em up as soon as there’s any sort of drought. Should’ve done it in the second period against the baby habs.

Small sample size acknowledging....

xGF% (rel)

Anderson 67.8 (+8.4)
McMann 64.1 (+14.4)
Holmberg 48.7 (-4.1)
Aston-Reese 48.3 (-4.0)
Simmonds 43.4 (-7.1)
Clifford 42.6 (-9.2)
Hunt 39.7 (-13.4)
Aube-Kubel 31.3 (-21.8)

matches the eye test, too!

Only annoying thing there would be Holmberg's number, but I'd give a bunch of that blame to the linemates he's been stuck with.

w/Aston-Reese 49min, 45.5xgf%
w/Engvall 28min, 61.1xgf%
w/Jarnkrok 19min, 55.0xgf%
w/Kerfoot 19min, 53.4xgf%
w/Anderson 17min, 61.7xgf%
w/Hunt 15min, 27.6xgf%
w/Simmonds 11min, 37.1xgf%

w/Kampf 4min, 58.3xgf%
w/McMann 4min, 55.6xgf%

He also has a handful of minutes with Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Bunting with poor results but I was looking more at when he's been used in his bottom 6 role.

Interesting that McMann bumps back up with Kampf and Kerf with Holmberg and Anderson.

Not a huge shock given how good McMann looked on that line before but still a bit surprising to see Kerf on what looks like it must be the 4th line, even when he's not needed at C there.

I didn't notice at first that he had Mo-Holl and Gio-Lilly as pairings here.

That change actually happened at the same time he swapped Mitch and Willy last night - and worked very well.

I didn't notice at first that he had Mo-Holl and Gio-Lilly as pairings here.

That change actually happened at the same time he swapped Mitch and Willy last night - and worked very well.
I assume this makes the Gio-Lilly pairing our top matchup pair then?

Finally Lilly gets his chance.

Also, I hope old man Gio can hold up. He has been remarkable.

I assume this makes the Gio-Lilly pairing our top matchup pair then?

Finally Lilly gets his chance.

Also, I hope old man Gio can hold up. He has been remarkable.

might be a setup to go with Sandin-Brodie too when he's back,

which would give us 3 very balanced pairings and no real matchup pairing.

Some of the smartest offensive geniuses in sports have nothing going on in their brain and rely solely on instincts. You couldn't find a bigger dumbass ditz than Willy. This is his secret.
My favourite leaf for doing that was Mogilny. I remember him going on about his hemroids being extremely painful when he was asked to describe a beauty goal coming down the right wing.

That's a hockey player for this market as well. like Willy.

Back