• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Offseason Thread - Why bother waiting?

BG

Fact is they have a lot to prove come playoff time - hell even during "hard" regular season games. I will listen to nobody that decides to deem them a contender - until they actually decide to contend.

I do feel that Matthews and Nylander have taken a step forward - and I hope the fact that Nylander is becoming a "playoff performer" makes Marner workout like a Mofo this summer. Happy that he decided to work on his shot all last summer, those extra 4 goals were exactly what the team needed.... :rolleyes:

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
lol damn, next regular season is gonna be miserable around here.

Not me.

I don't buy this "inherently broken" line of pseudo psychological bullshit. Our guys haven't broken through yet, that's all. This venerating of bad regular season teams who catch a heater in the playoffs because something something plays the right way is bullshit, it's never the same team twice.

To be a great playoff team, you have to be a great regular season team too and it's really, really rare for anything but a great team to win the Cup.

LeafGm

nah... just got to give some people time to grieve

like presto said, as long as you have Matthews et co., folks will be entertained

I dunno...it’s not even “grief” for me, at this stage. That’s what I went through last year when these guys choked against the crappiest first round opponent they’d yet to face.

Now that they've sunk to a new low this year, what I’m feeling at this point is apathy towards this team to a degree I’ve never experienced as a Leaf fan before. I just have no interest whatsoever in watching Matthews & Marner pile up goals & points in the regular season while this team cosplays as a contending team, only to watch them find new and exciting ways to disappoint, choke and lose in the first round.

And the road isn't going to get any easier for them in the first round going forward with the divisions likely going back to normal next season.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Keep in mind that you’ll have John Tavares back — the guy would be the top centre on most teams in the league.

And you probably won’t strike out on all the gudpro add-ons again (Joe, Sims, Faux)

it’s a hard thing to wrap (even my non Leaf fan) head around — elite roster vs can’t win even one round but is there any real continuity from year to year (except in our storytelling software in our brains???)

does what happened this year have any impact on next year? It shouldn’t.

the only legit fear is that the playoffs are officiated completely differently, so adding a beast in the top 6 might be necessary

Bleedsblue&white

I'm sure the Leafs are going to have a great season, it just won't matter. I suppose I will enjoy Matthews taking another Rocket run...that's it though.

On Tavares...even if the Isles only get this far, I have to think JT will be extra motivated.
If those fucking fishdicks win it all, I can see Tavares going Beast Mode until he has his.

hockeylover

nah... just got to give some people time to grieve

like presto said, as long as you have Matthews et co., folks will be entertained

Yeah, I think so. A whole bunch of eeyores saying "what's the point though?" after every win. I mean, not that I really blame them but shit's gonna be pretty depressing.

Jeremy

Regular season is 4 months away, I think people will be more optimistic by then. We’ll get through whatever comes up.

And this will be a stronger team by the time the next playoffs roll around after going through this adversity.

JackBurton

Regular season is 4 months away, I think people will be more optimistic by then. We’ll get through whatever comes up.

And this will be a stronger team by the time the next playoffs roll around after going through this adversity.
Rinse, repeat.
Seriously, shouldn't they have learned something by now?

LeafOfFaith

I'd love to rinse myself clean of the Leafs misery I've always had coated over me, but I'll be just as excited about the team and our chances when the puck drops.

I expect the supporting cast to be much, much better than the trash we added this year.

LeafGm

Keep in mind that you’ll have John Tavares back — the guy would be the top centre on most teams in the league.

And you probably won’t strike out on all the gudpro add-ons again (Joe, Sims, Faux)

it’s a hard thing to wrap (even my non Leaf fan) head around — elite roster vs can’t win even one round but is there any real continuity from year to year (except in our storytelling software in our brains???)

does what happened this year have any impact on next year? It shouldn’t.

the only legit fear is that the playoffs are officiated completely differently, so adding a beast in the top 6 might be necessary

If we can actually get a healthy John Tavares back for the entire first round next year, that'd be great of course. But he'll be a 31 year-old dude who's already shown signs of decline, hasn't been a difference-maker for us in the playoffs yet, and now he's coming off a major head injury.

And all the gudpros and depth don't matter a whole lot if Marner and Matthews can't come up with big-dick superstar playoff performances for this team, particularly in elimination games. Which is something they've proven almost wholly incapable of so far in their careers.

The only way we could overcome those two not coming close to justifying their cap hits in the playoffs is if Dubas can pull a Brayden Point-style rabbit out of his hat in the draft and add another superstar to this team.

Jeremy

This was a horrendous loss and blown opportunity that might not present itself again
Sometimes things that seem really bad can be really good, or a lot of good can come from it. Plus, getting discouraged and giving up isn’t helpful. Push through the hard times and trust something positive will come from it. Many people who did incredible things experienced many failures along the way and many failures before they did those incredible things.

Last edited:

LeafOfFaith

I think Tavares is as good right now as just before his injury. There was zero effect on him. Not worried, thankfully.

This team is still great. One fucking bounce in games 5 or 6 and we're the ones coming off sweeping the Jets and going into a matchup where most of the hockey world would call it a toss up. We can't let a bullshit result cloud the fact that this was actually the best team we've ever had. And it will be better next year.