• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Season Thread - Redemption Tour '22

I don't even like Johnny as a person. If he invited me out for a beer I would fucking scramble to find an excuse to not go. I get being mad if you like the Isles but if you take away the emotions of an irrational fan and think logically he did very little wrong as a human UNLESS you have a conspiracy theory that he was negotiating with the Isles during the season in bad faith, fully knowing what his plan was in the summer.

on a serious note @Red Line , I think posters here would take your position more seriously if you provided any actual evidence that supports this expectation you seem to have had...

I don't think you'll find Johnny on record anywhere during his contract year where he guarantees that he is going to resign. you seem to suggest otherwise, which would really be the only thing that would justify the level of anger we are seeing.
don't really care what people think of my position and there's plenty of "evidence" backing up it but as Leaf fans it gets ignored to spin JT as some sort of saint who came here at some sort of massive ''discount'' to lead us (lol) to the cup

here's the facts

-they tried to re-sign him during the season
-he wouldn't sign
-but kept saying he was a loyal guy and wanted to remain an islander and not to trade him

as i already said , my guess was the Islanders were his second choice and he would have gone back if the Leafs didn't want him or weren't willing to overpay him

also not looking for a fight so we can agree to disagree

Last edited:
This "saint" thing is so fucking weird.

It’s just the classic “straw man” argument.

RedLine’s position is that Tavares is some cartoonish moustache-twirling villain that set out ahead of time to deceive the Isles and deliberately screw them over as badly as possible on his way out the door.

So he’s attempting to make that position seem less ridiculous by pretending that we’re arguing the exact opposite.

They can boo all they'd like. At a certain point it just becomes a little sad though because the man is blander than boiled cabbage.

Also, no one will actually admit they're still mad, which confuses the fuck outta me.

PAJAMA BOY IS A SNAKE AND FUCKED US OVER AND ALSO WE'RE NOT MAD NO ONE SAY WE'RE MAD WE DON'T CARE AT ALL.

The booing makes sense. Their captain left them. They felt abandoned and the fanbase was already incredibly insecure; like the Raptors of the NHL in terms of insecurity and constantly seeking positive attention. Losing St. JT couldn't have possibly felt good. I mostly take issue when these kind of things get personal tho. It's just a stupid sport. Boo away, have your fun but calm down with the rage and personal stuff.

The booing makes sense. Their captain left them. They felt abandoned and the fanbase was already incredibly insecure; like the Raptors of the NHL in terms of insecurity and constantly seeking positive attention. Losing St. JT couldn't have possibly felt good. I mostly take issue when these kind of things get personal tho. It's just a stupid sport. Boo away, have your fun but calm down with the rage and personal stuff.
Just have to reply to this as it is the first I've seen of the new profile pic. Yikes.

See, this is the part I don’t get.

Booing your former captain and star player after he decided to leave as a free agent? I mean, sure, that’s all in good fun. A little weird four years after the fact, especially when your team actually went on to have more success than him after he left, but still not totally insane.

But wearing a Tavares jersey with “traitor” scrawled across it, and screaming at the guy in red-faced rage with tears welling up in your eyes...again, four years after the fact...that’s a bit koo-koo for Cocoa Puffs, and more than a little sad.

It’s just the classic “straw man” argument.

RedLine’s position is that Tavares is some cartoonish moustache-twirling villain that set out ahead of time to deceive the Isles and deliberately screw them over as badly as possible on his way out the door.

So he’s attempting to make that position seem less ridiculous by pretending that we’re arguing the exact opposite.
I'll clarify my position.

I believe JT did what's best for JT which is he already knew what he wanted to do well before the season was over but wants to spin it so he can come off looking better .

and as i already said , it means nothing to me as a Leaf fan how he left the Island so i don't have some weird need to believe his spin to make him look better about his decision

See, this is the part I don’t get.

Booing your former captain and star player after he decided to leave as a free agent? I mean, sure, that’s all in good fun. A little weird four years after the fact, especially when your team actually went on to have more success than him after he left, but still not totally insane.

But wearing a Tavares jersey with “traitor” scrawled across it, and screaming at the guy in red-faced rage with tears welling up in your eyes...again, four years after the fact...that’s a bit koo-koo for Cocoa Puffs, and more than a little sad.
the guy was more than a little nuts but that clip was from Apr 2019

don't really care what people think of my position and there's plenty of "evidence" backing up it but as Leaf fans it gets ignored to spin JT as some sort of saint who came here at some sort of massive ''discount'' to lead us (lol) to the cup

here's the facts

-they tried to re-sign him during the season
-he wouldn't sign
-but kept saying he was a loyal guy and wanted to remain an islander and not to trade him

as i already said , my guess was the Islanders were his second choice and he would have gone back if the Leafs didn't want him or weren't willing to overpay him

also not looking for a fight so we can agree to disagree
heh. the classic, "I have evidence but will NOT show it to you" response.

also...are you suggesting that anything he may have said was not true at the time that he said it? you seem to be suggesting this. which really comes down to a matter of perception I think.

and the discount has been well reported. SJS apparently offered him $12.5 m per.

you are also talking to a guy who opposed the contract at the time it was signed and argued it was an overpay... hardly part of the JT for sainthood campaign (which for the record only seems to exist in your head)

as other posters have noted, the reason he did not resign earlier (or at all) likely had to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll clarify my position.

I believe JT did what's best for JT which is he already knew what he wanted to do well before the season was over but wants to spin it so he can come off looking better .

and as i already said , it means nothing to me as a Leaf fan how he left the Island so i don't have some weird need to believe his spin to make him look better about his decision
Yeah so I get it if you fall into the conspiracy theory group of him negotiating with the Isles all season in bad faith fully knowing he wasn't coming back and that he was never going to accept any offer that the Isles gave him. That is fair enough and something I can't really argue since I don't really have proof that the conspiracy theory isn't true. I'll allow it if this is what folks truly believe. It's like antivaxxers.. I have no counter argument for the folks who believe that vaccines will murder me in 5 years. If you believe it, you believe it and it is your right to believe that.

Yeah so I get it if you fall into the conspiracy theory group of him negotiating with the Isles all season in bad faith fully knowing he wasn't coming back and that he was never going to accept any offer that the Isles gave him. That is fair enough and something I can't really argue since I don't really have proof that the conspiracy theory isn't true. I'll allow it if this is what folks truly believe. It's like antivaxxers.. I have no counter argument for the folks who believe that vaccines will murder me in 5 years. If you believe it, you believe it and it is your right to believe that.
if your going to respond to my post at least give me the courtesy of making shot up that i didn't say

i'll repeat my position , again

- i believe JT's first choice were the Leafs
- i believe JT's 2nd choice were the Islanders
- i believe he kept the Islanders in the mix because he had no idea if the Leafs were interested or how much we'd offer so he would re-sign with them if things didn't work out with the Leafs

why is this some massive tin foil conspiracy theory on my part ? what's pure fairy tale shit is believing he put no thought into where he wanted to sign and was undecided until the last second

Back