• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Season Thread - Redemption Tour '22

here's the facts

-they tried to re-sign him during the season
-he wouldn't sign

But according to Pierre LeBrun, John Tavares, and his agent, Pat Brisson have held no real negotiations with the Islanders so far. (Sorry, it’s in French. And you can’t Google Translate video…as far as I know anyways).

Here's Tavares on Dec 20 of that season talking about the new NYI arena approval

Tavares, though, stood out, simply by being his typically stoic self. “For my situation it’s really exciting news,” he said. “I’m not going to say it’s going to change or ultimately make my decision, but everything that’s involved in my daily life plays into it and going to the rink — playing games — is a big part of that.”

That's pretty non commital for a guy who allegedly was committed to staying on the Island.

It was the owners who vetoed the idea of trading Tavares at the deadline, Tavares made no private committments to the club

JT apparently wanted the organization to bring in help at the deadline as they were on the playoff bubble

Hoping he’d make a desperate move to impress his franchise player, rival execs made enormous asks. Barzal’s name came up. Snow rejected that. From what I understand, the next most-requested package involved one of their two 2018 first-round draft picks (both of which ended up in the lottery) and 23-year-old KHL goaltending prospect Ilya Sorokin. “If [Snow] knew Tavares was locked in,” says the above GM, “I think he would have done that to get someone.”

With the uncertainty, Snow chose not to. The Islanders made two moves: a third-round draft pick to Edmonton for Brandon Davidson; and Jason Chimera to Anaheim for Chris Wagner. “The most disappointed I ever saw John with the team was when Kyle Okposo left [before the 2016–17 season],” says one former teammate. “He almost never showed it, but he was upset at that. He really leaned on Kyle. This [deadline] was worse, though. Everyone was down.”

Fast forward, the Islanders miss the playoffs by one point. Leafs fire Lou, Isles hire Lou. Lou fires Snow & Weight...gong show.... Lou promises changes and then the pitches happen. Rumour is that the pitch in Toronto focused heavily on "look at all of this fucking skill you'll get to play with" and it resonated with John after his experience with the Islanders.

The facts are that John wasn't nearly as verbally committed as is being claimed, that he was uncomfortable with the new ownership focusing so much on him

“Please, please, please understand what I’m saying here,” says one former Islander. “I think [Malkin and Ledecky] have their hearts in the right place. They want to be great owners and do right by the fans. But going to John with everything was a mistake. It added pressure and stress. He wants to concentrate on hockey. This gave him things to worry about that he shouldn’t have had to worry about. He won’t have to concern himself with any of this in Toronto.”

He was tired of missing the playoffs every year.

This entire narrative Redline is trying to spin is way off.

if your going to respond to my post at least give me the courtesy of making shot up that i didn't say

i'll repeat my position , again

- i believe JT's first choice were the Leafs
- i believe JT's 2nd choice were the Islanders
- i believe he kept the Islanders in the mix because he had no idea if the Leafs were interested or how much we'd offer so he would re-sign with them if things didn't work out with the Leafs

why is this some massive tin foil conspiracy theory on my part ? what's pure fairy tale shit is believing he put no thought into where he wanted to sign and was undecided until the last second

But... what would even be wrong with that exactly? Like as a person, why is he a "snake" for that? That's how hockey works and has always worked, forever and ever.

They can boo all they'd like. At a certain point it just becomes a little sad though because the man is blander than boiled cabbage.

Also, no one will actually admit they're still mad, which confuses the fuck outta me.

PAJAMA BOY IS A SNAKE AND FUCKED US OVER AND ALSO WE'RE NOT MAD NO ONE SAY WE'RE MAD WE DON'T CARE AT ALL.
So what you’re saying is JT = our coleslaw.

So what you’re saying is JT = our coleslaw.

To be fair, when I get served jerked chicken without the coleslaw, I am a bit pissed off. Serve me coleslaw on it's own and you can fuck off, but mixed with the rice and beans with the jerk chicken gravy....so good.

So yeah, JT is our coleslaw. We already had that good jerked chicken in house thankfully.

Here's Tavares on Dec 20 of that season talking about the new NYI arena approval

That's pretty non commital for a guy who allegedly was committed to staying on the Island.

It was the owners who vetoed the idea of trading Tavares at the deadline, Tavares made no private committments to the club

JT apparently wanted the organization to bring in help at the deadline as they were on the playoff bubble

Fast forward, the Islanders miss the playoffs by one point. Leafs fire Lou, Isles hire Lou. Lou fires Snow & Weight...gong show.... Lou promises changes and then the pitches happen. Rumour is that the pitch in Toronto focused heavily on "look at all of this fucking skill you'll get to play with" and it resonated with John after his experience with the Islanders.

The facts are that John wasn't nearly as verbally committed as is being claimed, that he was uncomfortable with the new ownership focusing so much on him

nice goggling , it's also nice how you omitted how he asked not to be traded and how he was a loyal guy among other interviews

and again my point wasn't that he left or why he left but how he did and that's why there fans were pissed , hell on another forum most of there fans didn't blame him for going to what looked like a better team but as i said they were pissed because felt they were led on

But... what would even be wrong with that exactly? Like as a person, why is he a "snake" for that? That's how hockey works and has always worked, forever and ever.
nothing wrong with JT looking out for his best interests and there's nothing wrong with the Islanders fans calling him a snake for his lack of consideration towards them and the organization that treated him well

basically all i'm saying is if a player wants to leave as a ufa that's his right but i'd just hope he left like Halladay handled it and not like JT did

It’s just a convenient argument. They’d be pissed either way. you think if he said “Trade me. I will literally never sign here” they would be cheering him?

At the end of the day they are just sad he left.

nice goggling , it's also nice how you omitted how he asked not to be traded and how he was a loyal guy among other interviews

Except he never specifically asked to not be traded beyond saying that he would prefer to not be traded and wanted to make the playoffs and win with the Isles. He did however specifically ask for the team to make upgrades at the deadline to help make a run at the playoffs and they didn't.

and I mean, when you sign a below market deal to play in a shithole arena (or commute to Brooklyn) without a complaint for years while the organization clearly doesn't have a clue how to put good players around you....that's pretty fucking loyal. That he left after he had fulfilled his obligations to them doesn't make him disloyal. Disloyal would have been chucking up deuces and demanding a trade years earlier when it became clear that the organization was going to remain a gong show.
and again my point wasn't that he left or why he left but how he did and that's why there fans were pissed

Fans are pissed because he left, not at how he left. They may make up shit and lie to themselves, but it is what it is. JT was a good soldier for a terrible organization until the end, said all of the "right things" and by all accounts of people who actually know him, didn't consider leaving until he had a chance to think about it at the end of the season and Brisson prepared him for free agency. The book on JT is that he's a simple guy who focuses on one foot in front of the other and little else. When his personal routine gets interrupted, it fucks him.

I posted the quote from December and there's a lot more where that came from. You're out here pretending that he was making promises and shit to the Islanders, then dashed at first opportunity. That just doesn't line up with what anyone familiar with the situation has said about how it went down. Just angry fan chatter being passed off as truth.

The whole thing just makes no sense. The first year after a guy signs with another team, okay fair play, totally get that. But 4 years later? This is the kind of petty I only expect from Senators fans.

Tavares is a nice guy, never ran around badmouthing the Isles, and most importantly, didn't become a mercenary and fuck over the team for a few extra bucks (I signed in Buffalo because they offered more cash, bro) ... he signed with his childhood favourite team. I mean these people wouldn't understand if a guy who grew up on Long Island cheering for Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Smith etc. signed with them the first time he became a UFA?

The whole thing just makes no sense. The first year after a guy signs with another team, okay fair play, totally get that. But 4 years later? This is the kind of petty I only expect from Senators fans.

Tavares is a nice guy, never ran around badmouthing the Isles, and most importantly, didn't become a mercenary and fuck over the team for a few extra bucks (I signed in Buffalo because they offered more cash, bro) ... he signed with his childhood favourite team. I mean these people wouldn't understand if a guy who grew up on Long Island cheering for Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Smith etc. signed with them the first time he became a UFA?

Anybody who grew up watching those guys is long retired.

maybe a kid who grew up cheering for Jason Blake and Janine niinimaa

Anybody who grew up watching those guys is long retired.

maybe a kid who grew up cheering for Jason Blake and Janine niinimaa
A whole new generation of fans is growing up right now loving the game of hockey and dreaming of being the next Casey Cizikas or Matt Martin.

bless your diligence doing the legwork on this ME.

'facts' indeed

Back