• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Motherfucking 2021 Season Thread

Leafs Under Keefe

#4 111pts pace
#5 55.1% goal differential
#3 53.4xgf% All Situations
#6 53.2xgf% 5v5
#17 .906sv%

Remember back when we signed Thornton and Simmonds, and twitter erupted with glee that these hardened veterans were going to come in, rip our kids a new asshole and get them in line? Fast forward a couple of months and Jumbo is the happiest guy on the team, calls Matthews a pending Selke winner, and gives Willy a new nickname that Willy puts on his sticks?

Maybe the narrative that the kids don't care, don't work hard, aren't committed....was all Babcock era bullshit?

Remember back when we signed Thornton and Simmonds, and twitter erupted with glee that these hardened veterans were going to come in, rip our kids a new ******* and get them in line? Fast forward a couple of months and Jumbo is the happiest guy on the team, calls Matthews a pending Selke winner, and gives Willy a new nickname that Willy puts on his sticks?

Maybe the narrative that the kids don't care, don't work hard, aren't committed....was all Babcock era bullshit?
Every old man that comes into the room is fucking giddy over how lovable the young guys are on the team. All of them. Consistently.

Remember back when we signed Thornton and Simmonds, and twitter erupted with glee that these hardened veterans were going to come in, rip our kids a new ******* and get them in line? Fast forward a couple of months and Jumbo is the happiest guy on the team, calls Matthews a pending Selke winner, and gives Willy a new nickname that Willy puts on his sticks?

The most underrated thing is how having an absolute trash / complete lack of a system makes a team have to work WAY WAY WAY harder than its opponents, for inferior results anyways, while the other team makes it look so easy.

Must be fricken discouraging.

Bear with me for a moment, I have been thinking that the one upgrade that the Leafs need - now and in the future - is an upgrade to their 3rd/4th line Centre. Someone who can take that 4th line and make it a legit 3rd line (the MEH line is good as it is, which is a shut down line).

I was trying to figure out who to target, and really I don't know who makes sense this year (Canadian team? Get someone that has to quarantine for 2 weeks?).

Then in my mind, I randomly threw this one out: Dermott for Kotkaniemi.

Gives Montreal that young mobile top 4 Defenseman that they have been looking for, who as others have pointed out in other threads could probably join Montreal's top pairing.

And Kotkeniemi gives the Leafs a middle six Centre on a cheap deal that has the potential for being the 2nd line Centre to replace the aging Tavares in a couple of years.

Plus the Leafs will probably lose Dermott in the Expansion Draft anyways.

Just a thought.

What are we, in the Habs bust business?? We already got Galchenyuk.

Also, they'd never trade their future HOF center they just took 3rd overall for our third pairing expansion draft nominee, whether he's equal value or not.

If you’re the Leafs, I don’t know what would be compelling you to make any changes to the defense right about now.

And if you’re the Habs, I don’t know why you’re trading a big center you recently took near the top of the draft to a division rival for a 24 year-old defenseman who’s never played higher in their lineup than the third pair.

Not interested, and honestly I wouldn't do that if I were the habs either, if only because of the draft capital already expended. Dermott has actually been pretty good this season, but there's a reason he's on a 1 year deal at this age. If I have any hope KK still turns into an impact forward, I'm not trading that for a bottom pair dman pushing into his mid 20s.

I found Kerfoot a lot more useful as a C than a W. And if Engvall is for real as 3C, and he looks like he is, then the writing is clearly on the wall for Kerfoot.

And it's a waste of Kerfoot (and his capspace) to do it, but if we do add that strong winger at the deadline, the obvious lineup would imo look like this.....which would be one helluva 4th line:

Thornton - Matthews - Marner
XXXXXXX - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Simmonds - Kerfoot - Spezza

unless of course Kerfoot's caphit is part of the deadline trade ballast.

I found Kerfoot a lot more useful as a C than a W. And if Engvall is for real as 3C, and he looks like he is, then the writing is clearly on the wall for Kerfoot.

And it's a waste of Kerfoot (and his capspace) to do it, but if we do add that strong winger at the deadline, the obvious lineup would imo look like this.....which would be one helluva 4th line:

That XXXXXXXXX - palmeri, rakell, other PF type player.

Kerfoot has been good for us, no complaints at all. I love his ability to get through the neutral zone almost at will, speed on the forecheck, defensive conscience....but yeah if Engvall can play C, there's no reason for us to be spending 3.5 on Kerfoot if we can turn him into a winger with a bit more size and offensive ability to play with JT

As much as I love Engvall - probably more than all of you guys - I don't know why, I just like him more as a winger than a C. But I still fucking love that third line. It is pure pandemonium when they're out there. A total fucking nightmare to play against.

It also feels like a waste to let go of Kerfoot. But if it's Forsberg coming back the other way, I'd do that all day, every day.

It's exciting to KNOW that we're going to be adding a significant player at the deadline. All the stars are lining up - we're top of the league, we have tons of assets to deal, and we really don't have any holes, so we're looking to make upgrades like Forsberg over Kerfoot (a good player we'd otherwise want to keep). Fun time to be a Leaf fan.

Back