• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Motherfucking 2021 Season Thread

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Micah has a different story. Seems like a lot of these guys with models are starting to fall in love with the smell of their own farts

I would like to have access to Sportlogiq just to compare how these models are stacking up.

Yeah, this lines up with my eye test.

Matthews is good defensively, and a motherfucking ridiculous offensively. Mitch is really good offensively, and really good defensively.

Leon is easy to make invisible offensively at 5's, and bad defensively. Connor is offensive godhood at 5's and bad defensively.

There's no way that a team with top 2 centres that score out as well defensively as McDrai have this year in most the public models, can be this bad defensively as a team. No fucking way. 2/3rds of your 5 on 5 minutes would have one of the two out there beasting (allegedly) and a lot of that time would have Darnell Nurse out there (also allegedly beasting defensively according to the models).

How that computes with Edmonton being a defensive outcome tire fire just doesn't line up unless they're icing a literal ECHL squad every second of every game that those guys aren't on the ice.

Preston

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
I just changed to overdrive accidentally to hear Jamie McLennan say that the leafs don't have a Lowry or Copp on their third line so can they win a cup? They need a third line like the Jets to win.

Or something.

hockeylover

I just changed to overdrive accidentally to hear Jamie McLennan say that the leafs don't have a Lowry or Copp on their third line so can they win a cup? They need a third line like the Jets to win.

Or something.

Ah. The other day I couldn't remember which of Mike Zigomanis or Jamie McLennan really thought the Jets would pass us as little as a week ago but that refreshes my memory. Definitely McLennan.

soco22

We will get to see how we stack up against the Jets soon enough.

I figure that it’s a similar game plan to the oilers. Get the puck deep and make their defense make a pass or two to get it to the skill forwards - knowing they usually can’t. Try and stay out of the box and hope Fred doesn’t shit the bed.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig

Or something.

I honestly don't know if these media types are all just trolling us or have legitimate brain injuries.

If we had Winnipeg's roster in Toronto they would all be screaming about how bad our blueline is and how we can't win with that.

JackBurton

Love seeing the media frantically shuffle their papers to try to come up with a new angle for why the leafs are actually bad. We're on to the third line now.
The Habs were being blown in the first month and they can't even compliment the Leafs.

soco22

The Habs were being blown in the first month and they can't even compliment the Leafs.

stretching that - Friedman and CJ both have gone on the record saying we are real gud for sportsnet lately. Hasn’t been a game on tsn for a bit - so haven’t paid attn to them yet.

It is a fair statement by some of the media that they wish they could see us against Tampa, Boston, Vegas etc - but doesn’t take away from us being a heavy favourite to get to the final 4.

zeke

The lines seem pretty obvious right now I think, but weirdly I don't think these 4 complete lines have been used in a game together yet, mostly due to the strange Vesey obsession. Actually yeah Vesey has been in every game so there's no way these 4 lines have been used all together yet.

I won't included the Simmonds combos right now, but here's the best 4 current line combos:

Thornton-Matthews-Marner: 117.7min, 61.2xgf%
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander: 47.3min, 55.5xgf%
Mikheyev-Engvall-Hyman: 48.7min, 59.0xgf%
Petan-Boyd-Spezza: 42.7min, 68.5xgf%

Other frequently used lines are ones that feature Hyman on a different line, which almost always works well:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner: 144.4min, 63.0xgf%
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander: 37.1min, 70.3xgf%
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman: 35.5min, 53.0xgf%

And ones that feature Vesey on different lines, which almost never works well:

Vesey-Tavares-Nylander: 42.4min, 46.7xgf%
Vesey-Boyd-Spezza: 40.6min, 42.8xgf%
Vesey-Kerfoot-Mikheyev: 30.2min, 38.4xgf%

Though both Vesey and Barabanov do have some smaller sample line combos that have worked well - Vesey has a couple smaller sample 3rd line combos with Mikheyev/Kerfoot/Engvall that have worked and a couple stints on the top lines that haven't worked, while Barabanov has recent small samples on all of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines that have worked:

Vesey-Engvall-Mikheyev: 22.5min, 69.8xgf%
Vesey-Kerfoot-Engvall: 20.6min, 52.9xgf%
Vesey-Kerfoot-Nylander: 11.3min, 50.9xgf%
Vesey-Matthews-Marner: 11.1min, 41.2xgf%

Barabanov-Kerfoot-Nylander: 17.8min, 66.9xgf%
Barabanov-Boyd-Spezza: 15.1min, 54.4xgf%
Barabanov-Engvall-Spezza: 10.3min, 66.1xgf%

All in all, I think it's high time Vesey got a game off.