• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Motherfucking 2021 Season Thread

Is it only the three players you've drafted that are on your roster now - Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen and Romanov? Or am I missing someone?
Recently or drafted by the Habs period?

Price is one.

Gallagher

Mete (now a tweener)

Evans (will be on team this year)

Cusp players

Poehling

Fleury

So yeah, the core of the roster wasn't exactly drafted by the Habs. We've long wanted Bergevin and especially Timmins (who seems to survive regime changes etc) fired.

Recently or drafted by the Habs period?

Price is one.

Gallagher

Mete (now a tweener)

Evans (will be on team this year)

Cusp players

Poehling

Fleury

So yeah, the core of the roster wasn't exactly drafted by the Habs. We've long wanted Bergevin and especially Timmins (who seems to survive regime changes etc) fired.

Yeah, I was thinking in the last 10 drafts. Timmins should definitely go, list is pretty putrid.

I think they could’ve easily included 2017 and called Poehling a bust. He’ll probably be traded or waived by this time next year.

And then you have KK who is flirting with crap status, Caulfield who knows, and Guhle not exactly top tier.

I think I like KK but not really as an impact player so much. Caufield is tracking pretty poorly tbh. Guhle I don't know anything about.

KK has improved his speed, edge work and his wrist shot is a rocket. He's only 20. Far too early to call him bust when he was playing injured most of last season. Once he healed he was great in the playoffs.

This year will be telling but due to the schedule and covid I'm willing to give him two more seasons to put it all together. I see his floor as a good two way center, his ceiling is definitely a first line center, the skill is there just waiting on consistency.

I just saw a few highlights of him, did marner’s shot actually improve at all? Didn’t look that different to me.

Interesting read. Music to my ears as well with him dropping down to 210. He's a very good skater, but I always thought he could be so much more dominant if he had just one extra gear and a little better acceleration.

A couple quotes that stood out:

“I just asked him: ‘Straight up, what do you want to do? Do you want to get a little bit done?’ And he said, ‘No, I want it all. I want to do it right now. I’ll do anything you say.’ Okay. Game on.”
“I don’t think there’s any athlete that put more time, focus and energy into their offseason this year than he did.”

50 in 50 here comes Papi.

Rather than meet in person, they would connect every day on FaceTime, six or seven days a week. Matthews put in hours of stretching and contorting his body, pushing himself to increase his flexibility and core strength, using various training apparatuses Mack had delivered to his Arizona home.

Mack believes some of Matthews’ early injuries in the NHL – which have included back, shoulder and wrist problems in his first four seasons – can be prevented in the future. He leaned hard on Matthews to improve the stability in his hips and waist, calling those improvements “the two largest things we did.” That stronger foundation then allowed them to push him in other areas, including creating “more space in all the joints” where he needed it.

10 years ago they would have sent him away in the offseason to put on 15 pounds of muscle.

There was also the one year that his off season training was basically training over and over again on a stationary bike. Brilliant stuff, transfers over to hockey nicely.

what I literally texted my buddies - reminded me on Kadri losing his speed and sucking for a season
He was completely immobile. There were celebrations about him gaining like 20-30 pounds in one summer. I believe we were the only ones who were like.... Uhhh that's not good. And then we found out later that they literally told him to significantly increase his calorie intake. Granted, he probably didn't work out as he should have, but that's still a ridiculous fucking plan.

Since you said it, I have to admit I thought about how the Leafs should throw a Covid party before the season starts to get it out of the way. Becomes a safer space for the older staff members as well! Natural vaccinations for the younger folks and herd immunity in the organization!

But no. It's just a joke.

Back