• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The MotherFucking Off-Season Thread

BeLeafer

resurrected
Yeah at this point I'd kinda want to just give Kerfoot more of an opportunity and really see what you've got there.
I would have been good to see him replaced with Koivu (in part due to cap savings) but he's a good player and may have some upside still (at least over his bumpy season last year).

Leafin'

I agree with the Pk aspect of keeping Kerfoot.

as for the expansion draft I assume we’ll go 8 skaters if it comes down to it.

matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie
*new defender

Kerfoot + Holl Gives you the cap to get that quality defender. I don’t really believe in Holl as a legit top 4. He looked like shit when Muzzin was out. Probably dragged down by a shittier partner. We’d still have Engvall in that case to be a C on the PK. I recall Hyman also playing C on the PK some last year.

Rielly - *new defender ~4-5 mil
Muzzin - Brodie
Dermott/Sandin - Lehtonen/Bogosian

fergy57

I would have been good to see him replaced with Koivu (in part due to cap savings) but he's a good player and may have some upside still (at least over his bumpy season last year).

Yeah I really envy two moves that Columbus made for their bottom 6.

Koivu is a great signing and you pair that with taking a very reasonable shot on Grigorenko (90ish pts in 100ish games in the last 2 years in the K), at 1.2 mill.

No idea what to think about the Chinyakov pick yet but Jarmo has done well this offseason.

Leafin'

We’d also have Boyd in case of injury.

in the end it comes down to whether we can find better value for that 3.5 mil Kerfoot is being paid. I think we can. Especially when Kerfoot is more a winger than Center.

zeke

Above/Below Average per Roster Slot

#1C Matthews +
#1W Marner +
#2W Nylander +

#2C Tavares ++
#3W Hyman even
#4W Mikheyev even

#3C Kerfoot even
#5W Thornton even
#6W Vesey -

#4C Spezza +
#7W Simmonds +
#8W Engvall +
#13F Barabanov/Robertson/Anderson +

#1D Rielly even
#2D Muzzin +

#3D Brodie +
#4D Holl even

#5D Dermott +
#6D Bogosian +
#7D Lehtonen/Sandin +

#1G Andersen even
#2G Campbell even
#3G Dell +

3rd line is the weakest link at this point. Though even then that's only a matter of dependability as imo pretty much the entire 8 guys fighting for the last 5 spots have either been good 3rd liners recently or have that upside, and aren't limited to 4th line uoside. That's true for all of Thornton Spezza Simmonds Vesey Engvall Anderson Barabanov Robertson.

leafman101

I think it will be hard to replace and upgrade on Kerfoot and Holl for $5.5 mill total. The reality is they probably have better internal options to replace Holl too. I don't see it happening.

Also cheaper, short term commitments at depth positions is much better for this team than giving a Toews type player a big contract. That impacts keeping Rielly/Hyman.

We don't need a 5 year commitment at $5 mill for a #4 dman. Especially with Dermott/Sandin/Lilly in the system.

zeke

An interesting strategy would be to create an awesome 3rd line of Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman, and then give all the other guys shots at playing 3rd wheel to the 2 dynamic duos up top.

Like all of Thornton Spezza Robertson vesey simmonds Engvall Anderson barabanov could plaussibly be an effective 3rd wheel on those lines.

leafman101

They have a ton of options and depth with this lineup. They are 14-15 deep at forward in players with NHL experience and none of those guys are shitty, no talent 4th liners taht can't play up the lineup like Goat or Clifford.

zeke

Barby is more of a greasy two way guy. Based on his khl numbers I wouldn't expect much offense out of him but as long as he's a pain in the ass I'm good with that.

He did manage to have a better offensive year the year before last than Mikheyev has ever had, and is generally described as a pretty skilled guy. So there might be some upside there too.

zeke

For all the talk about a slow bottom 6 there's only 3 slow guys Thornton Spezza Simmons.

The rest are all good to excellent in the speed and skating departments.

LeafGm

I don't think they trade Kerfoot at this point unless they feel like they can adequately replace him or upgrade on him for less money. Which could be someone like Haula or Soderbergh, both of whom are still UFA's at this point.

But I don't feel you want to put yourself in a position where you're relying on Thornton & Spezza to be your everyday 3rd & 4th line centers. Both because of their age and the fact that both have spent a bunch of time on the wing in recent years. And because like others have mentioned, Keefe will probably want the freedom to move them up and down the lineup for the odd shift on one of the top two lines.

I'd also be surprised if another big addition on defense was coming at this point.

Preston

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
He did manage to have a better offensive year the year before last than Mikheyev has ever had, and is generally described as a pretty skilled guy. So there might be some upside there too.
Yup. Definitely more than enough upside to realistically hope for third line offense with middle six intangibles. It isn't a lock but there's a legit chance their bottom six actually improves fairly significantly despite their subtractions. It definitely will defensively I think but it could happen on both ends honestly. Kapanen wasn't much of a possession driver or suppressor really. He relied on taking advantage of broken plays... A game breaker type of player that kinda stunk in regular run of play. They'll miss the game breaking ability but I'm not much of a fan of those gimmick type of players.

Preston

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
I don't think Soderberg has played much center in the NHL btw. He's less of a center than kerf is I'm pretty sure. So I wouldn't sign him as a kerf replacement.