• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The MotherFucking Off-Season Thread

@Habsy fix your site. Aside from all the user penetration issues, on the cell, it capitalizes shit for no reason all the time, and has this weird thing where there’s a spacing problem with new replies and then you have to go back and recapitalize. I’m sure you must experience this too?

Lehner.

And they need to go into next season with 2 goalies they believe they can rotate. The plan should be to play the hot hand.

If they do that, Freddy will have to go because he just traded for and extended Campbell. And for the reasons already stated, I doubt it.

Of course, Papetti has Askarov going at the #13 slot. Please kick me in the nuts again.

Brutal. Weren’t the Canes interested in Kappy? If they’re willing to consider moving #13 how about our 2021 first, Kappy and maybe something else to get back #13?

I largely agree but I do like a little more hayhem. M. Tkachuk is my ideal guy for this right now.
Yeah, those guys are unicorns but of course Tkachuk would be great. Doubt Flames even consider trading him. I just want more man strength players more than anything. Kevin Hayes, Dubois, Zucker, Debrusk. A Bergeron type... Those guys. A guy with skill that fits the mold but is also a horse on the puck and possession beast built to insulate/complement superstar players. They don't really have those guys. Tavares is as close as it gets and Matthews is slowly developing into one, though he's still not quite there.

Kapanen is a possession tire fire and AJ is atrocious defensively even when he was producing offense. Their complementary guys aren't a great fit at the moment. That's another thing I'd strongly look at changing since it's going to be really difficult to acquire another 2 top 4 d.

Yeah, those guys are unicorns but of course Tkachuk would be great. Doubt Flames even consider trading him. I just want more man strength players more than anything. Kevin Hayes, Dubois, Zucker, Debrusk. A Bergeron type... Those guys. A guy with skill that fits the mold but is also a horse on the puck and possession beast built to insulate/complement superstar players. They don't really have those guys. Tavares is as close as it gets and Matthews is slowly developing into one, though he's still not quite there.

Kapanen is a possession tire fire and AJ is atrocious defensively even when he was producing offense. Their complementary guys aren't a great fit at the moment. That's another thing I'd strongly look at changing since it's going to be really difficult to acquire another 2 top 4 d.

Yeah, maybe finding more reliable guys for the third line should also be a priority. Of course, Tkachuk is unicorn, but you never know. I'd gladly cough up Marner for him.

Kapanen was really disappointing in BJ series. The one thing that I thought gave him good value still is his ability to step up his game in pressure moments and also provide some physicality. It was ugly.

Kapanen was really disappointing in BJ series. The one thing that I thought gave him good value still is his ability to step up his game in pressure moments and also provide some physicality. It was ugly.
His nerd shit all season was hilarious. Every line he played on immediately became the teams' worst.

Kappy was awful, but I have a hard time holding this series against any individual player after the unprecedented layoff.

Kapanen’s a puzzling one. He’s got great tools, and he played like a man possessed and a legit top-6 forward when he replaced Willy on Auston’s line during Willy’s holdout.

He’s looked like a “meh” 3rd liner with zero hockey IQ since then though, especially whenever he’s moved back onto one of the top-2 lines.

Hopefully, he gets off to a great start and they can recoup some value midseason. I wouldn't want to trade him in this offseason, unless some GM gets stupid.

Holl’s pretty good. Can’t ask for more from at least bottom pair and very passable #4.
He's fine. I wouldn't want him on a top 4 though. Leafs likely won't have a choice next year, which can be fine since Muzzin can carry the fucker.

Muzzin-Holl
Rielly-XXXX

And XXXX better be a shot suppressing, defensive oriented defenseman. It has to be. Even Muzzin, who I adore, technically isn't a shot suppressing, elite defensive D. His strength is in driving possession, not suppressing it. So is Rielly's, although he's infinitely worse than Muzzin defensively, and better offensively. It would be nice to have someone with a different skillset back there. Hainsey was fine and actually made Rielly look passable defensively, but he clearly wasn't top 4 caliber.

It's gotta be a big priority for Dubas to find a competent defender than can play alongside Rielly. Muzzin is good enough to make Holl passable in the top four.

I worry that Dubas's analytics bent blinds him, as it does so many other nerdlingtons, to strong defensive play. The idea that Barrie would be a nice complement to Rielly was a big brain fart and, I suspect, borne of the inability to obtain good data on defensive play.

It's gotta be a big priority for Dubas to find a competent defender than can play alongside Rielly. Muzzin is good enough to make Holl passable in the top four.

I worry that Dubas's analytics bent blinds him, as it does so many other nerdlingtons, to strong defensive play. The idea that Barrie would be a nice complement to Rielly was a big brain fart and, I suspect, borne of the inability to obtain good data on defensive play.
He's too fixated on "I want my team to play an offensive possession driving game" to the point where he has completely ignored possession suppressing skillsets, which can be a market inefficiency as the types of d that get less points but are great defensively can be cheaper to acquire and cheaper on the payroll. He hasn't exploited that remotely.

I do think his Barrie acquisition was out of desperation. I can't imagine he would have wanted him, but he took what was available. Kerfoot was more of an analytics darling than him. He was the opposite of that.

Back