• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline Thread

cmaleski2

Should not be any expansion draft implications if we traded Fleury for Hamonic (hopefully we don't do anything like that, too much to give). Gardiner and Skjei will be available via the waiver draft so we have plenty of guys to cover our exposure requirements. Hamonic is a pending UFA.

HNIM

Should not be any expansion draft implications if we traded Fleury for Hamonic (hopefully we don't do anything like that, too much to give). Gardiner and Skjei will be available via the waiver draft so we have plenty of guys to cover our exposure requirements. Hamonic is a pending UFA.

CapFriendly shows Gardiner as having a NTC. Expansion rules require players with NMCs to be protected. How do the two differ in a practical sense?

Easier asking you than looking it up myself...

cmaleski2

Players with any type of NTC do not need to be protected in expansion drafts. Players with NMC MUST be protected in expansion drafts (unless they waive their clause).

A NTC only comes into play with trades, either setting limits to where a player can be traded to OR requiring the player to approve ANY trade if its a full NTC. A NMC prevents you from sending a player ANYWHERE without their approval. You cannot send them to the minors, you cannot loan their contract to another league, etc. And of course you cannot trade them either without their approval.

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Isles acquire Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac from the Devils for minor league forwards AJ Greer and Mason Jobst, a 20211st rounder and a conditional 2022 4th rounder. Devils also retain 50% of both Palmieri’s and Zajac’s salary. They’re both UFAs after the season.

Last edited:

cmaleski2

Yeah that is really just a low 1st round pick in this year's draft and a conditional 4th in 2022, the 2 players the Devils get back are just AHL filler, not prospects of any type. That is a pretty nice rental return for the Islanders for just a low 1st round pick.

It will interesting to see how the next 5 days end up going.

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The Isles acquire Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac from the Devils for minor league forwards AJ Greer and Mason Jobst, a 20211st rounder and a conditional 2022 4th rounder. Devils also retain 50% of both Palmieri’s and Zajac’s salary. They’re both UFAs after the season.
Weird trade. The Isles certainly can use the depth at forward, even though both of those guys are playing like garbage this year, and there's no way for NYI to make a deal without somebody eating some salary on the Isles behalf. If you figure the Devs weren't planning to re-sign either player (and they've been trying to pretty much give Zajac away for months), then they're paying roughly $2.5 million for a first rounder in a weird draft year and two borderline prospects. I guess that's good value for a lower 1st rounder in a normal year, but nobody seems to think this draft is anything more than a crapshoot thanks to limited scouting and a thin talent pool.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Yeah that is really just a low 1st round pick in this year's draft and a conditional 4th in 2022, the 2 players the Devils get back are just AHL filler, not prospects of any type. That is a pretty nice rental return for the Islanders for just a low 1st round pick.

It will interesting to see how the next 5 days end up going.
LeBrun says the 4th rounder in 2022 is conditional only in the sense that if the Isles make the Cup Finals, it becomes a 3rd rounder in 2022 or 2023, Isles choice of which year. He also said the the Bruins and Leafs were interested in Palmieri.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
LeBrun says there is a tentative deal in place between Chicago and Florida. No details except that Brett Connolly and Riley Stillman are headed to the Blackhawks. Stay tuned.

cmaleski2

capfriendly.com says:

Chicago Blackhawks Acquire:
Chicago Blackhawks

Brett Connolly
Henrik Borgström (Signing Rights)
Riley Stillman
2021 7th round pick (FLA)

Florida Panthers Acquire:
Florida Panthers

Lucas Wallmark
Lucas Carlsson

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
That cleared out about $3.2 million of cap space for the Panthers. Connolly was buried on the taxi squad with a hit of $2.4 million but is in the 2nd year of a 4 year/$14 million deal. So if there is no taxi squad next year, he’d ether be on the roster or they’d have to bury him again. Stillman is in the last year of his entry deal. Wallmark is on a 1 year/$950k contract and Carlsson is shown in the minors.

Last edited:

cmaleski2

I don't see that trade as mattering much beyond us seeing all of these guys in different uniforms. Of the players Florida dealt, only Riley Stillman played in the most recent game (10 minutes). Brett Connolly was a scratch and has been invisible most of this season (just 4 points in 19 games). He cleared waivers on Feb 28th so he is taxi squad eligible. Henrik Borgstrom is playing in Sweden (and has no current NHL contract).

Wallmark of course just cleared waivers and Lucas Carlsson hasn't played since March 9th.

I'm not quite sure what value Chicago gets out of this unless they think Connolly can get back on track or that Borgstrom (who was a 1st round pick in 2016) will sign an NHL deal. They took on a fair amount of money and cap with Connolly (AAV and Salaries of $3.5 million for 2 more seasons after this one).

Florida gets Wallmark who is a playable 4th liner and gets out from the 2 additional years and salary Connolly has due to him.

CanadaCanes

Florida clearing cap space screams of them willing to take on a defenseman to replace Ekblad on the backend. I heard several rumblings that they are looking for a veteran d-guy to plug the hole that Ekblad's injury has caused. Maybe Ekholm, Savard...or Josh Manson or any handful of the other defensemen being shopped this week.

cmaleski2

Sure, but Florida already had a ton of cap space even before they made that trade. Yes they have MORE cap space now, but even before this trade they could have added Drew Doughty to their roster without moving any player out for cap space. And that is even before they move Ekblad to LTIR (which would free up even MORE space).

Its not a 'need to free up cap space' move I don't think, at least not for this season. Florida does save real cash, by getting rid of Connelly and his term, so that is definitely something. Florida might have needed to do this from a cash perspective if they are adding another DMan and wanted to move out payroll to offset the additional payroll coming in. So maybe not a cap space move as much as a payroll reduction move.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Florida clearing cap space screams of them willing to take on a defenseman to replace Ekblad on the backend. I heard several rumblings that they are looking for a veteran d-guy to plug the hole that Ekblad's injury has caused. Maybe Ekholm, Savard...or Josh Manson or any handful of the other defensemen being shopped this week.
With Nashville’s recent surge, I don’t know if Ekholm will be available anymore. Savard has jumped to the top of the dman list on The Athletic board.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
With Nashville’s recent surge, I don’t know if Ekholm will be available anymore. Savard has jumped to the top of the dman list on The Athletic board.
Savard isn't a terrible fit in Florida. They use their D in a way that suits him fairly well. Dude needs a structure to fit into.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm not quite sure what value Chicago gets out of this unless they think Connolly can get back on track or that Borgstrom (who was a 1st round pick in 2016) will sign an NHL deal. They took on a fair amount of money and cap with Connolly (AAV and Salaries of $3.5 million for 2 more seasons after this one).
Same. Connolly is fairly vanilla even when he's producing. He doesn't drive play at all, and if his shot isn't falling then he's a defensive liability that doesn't make it up in any other area. The only thing I can think of for Chicago is that he's a pretty good bumper guy on the power play, and Chicago's 2nd power play unit is an issue ... despite their top unit being really, really effective. That's a fine tuning move for a team that really needs a defender or two, not a one way forward who doesn't really produce that much.