• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline Thread

Frank Seravalli says the Leafs have traded for Nick Foligno and says a 3rd team is involved to broker the money. LeBrun says the 3rd team is the Sharks. Official trade call pending, stay tuned.

Foligno is in the last year of a 6 year/$33 million contract with a 10 team NTC and a NMC, so apparently he’s waived it.

Foligno to the Leafs is complete. Leafs also get dman Stefan Noesen from San Jose. Jackets get Toronto’s 1st this year and 4th next year, San Jose gets Toronto’s 4th this year. Columbus retains 50% and San Jose retains 50% of what was left, so cap hit to the Leafs is $1.375 million.

Aaron Portzline, who covers the Jackets for The Athletic, says there is a very good chance that Foligno re-signs in Columbus over the summer.

Last edited:
Toronto picks up goalie David Rittich from Calgary for a 2022 3rd rounder. Calgary is retaining 50% of his salary, so the Leafs are on the hook for $1.375 million.

Ottawa sends dman Braydon Coburn to the Islanders for a 2022 7th rounder. no salary retention, he’s in the last year of a 2 year/$3.4 million contract.

With the trades that Toronto has made, they only have their 2nd, 5th and 6th rounders this year and 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th or 7th next year

Slugs send Taylor Hall and Curtis Lazar to the Bruins for Anders Bjork (whose shoes did he pass in?) and a 2nd round pick. Slugs retained 50% of Hall’s salary. Lazar hasn’t played since March 31 and is week to week with a lower body injury.

The Bruins also traded for dman Mike Reilly from Ottawa for a 2022 3rd rounder.

Last edited:
Circling back to Vatanen, once he clears waivers today he will be more tradable as a player who teams can stuff on their taxi squad. I could see the Canes trading a 4th round pick (or lower) for him still.

Kevyn Adams has traded Eric Staal, Taylor Hall and Brandon Montour for a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 5th and Anders Bjork. Kekalainen got a better return for Foligno than Adams got for Hall.

Per McKenzie the Kings send Jeff Carter to the Pens for TBD
The Kings get a conditional 3rd rounder in 2022 and a conditional 4th rounder in 2023. I haven’t seen the conditions but they’re probably based on playoff games played and how far the Pens advance. Kings retain 50% of his cap hit or about $2.6 million. He’s under contract for next year too but the 11 year/$58 million contract he signed with the Flyers in 2010 was front-loaded so his actual this year and next is only $2 million.

LeBrun says the conditional 3rd becomes a 2nd if the Pens win the Cup and Carter plays in at least 50% of the games.

Circling back to Vatanen, once he clears waivers today he will be more tradable as a player who teams can stuff on their taxi squad. I could see the Canes trading a 4th round pick (or lower) for him still.
He might be the best right handed D the Canes can get for the price .

Kevyn Adams has traded Eric Staal, Taylor Hall and Brandon Montour for a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 5th and Anders Bjork. Kekalainen got a better return for Foligno than Adams got for Hall.
Taylor Hall had a full NMC which potentially could have shrunken the market for him. Foligno had a NMC but with a modified NTC that allowed him a 10 team no trade list. The market for Hall might have also soured a bit due to how bad he has been this year. Foligno also brings a certain skill set that Hall doesn't (aka he can play defense).

No one can say the Leafs are not making every effort to win the Cup. In the end though, to me, their goaltending remains suspect enough that I would still be worried about it if I was a Leafs fan. Campbell is as fragile as it gets and Rittich is not very consistent. Who knows what the heck is going on with Andersen. They are going to be relying on shutdown forwards and lots of high end scoring to make up for that hole. Can you imagine what the uproar will be if they don't get to the conference finals after trading away all of these picks for rentals?

Last edited:
Taylor Hall had a full NMC which potentially could have shrunken the market for him. Foligno had a NMC but with a modified NTC that allowed him a 10 team no trade list. The market for Hall might have also soured a bit due to how bad he has been this year. Foligno also brings a certain skill set that Hall doesn't (aka he can play defense).

No one can say the Leafs are not making every effort to win the Cup. In the end though, to me, their goaltending remains suspect enough that I would still be worried about it if I was a Leafs fan. Campbell is as fragile as it gets and Rittich is not very consistent. Who knows what the heck is going on with Andersen. They are going to be relying on shutdown forwards and lots of high end scoring to make up for that hole. Can you imagine what the uproar will be if they don't get to the conference finals after trading away all of these picks for rentals?
At The Athletic, Dom Luspellcheck gave the Slugs a F-, Eric Duhatschek gave them a B- so even the “experts” are split on it. They’re also split on the Bruins grade, with a A+ and C+, respectively.

Yeah ... not sure that Buffalo really maximized their position at the deadline, but I find it hard to look at the actual production they moved and complain that much. Hall has ONE even strength goal, and Staal looked like a coat rack there despite coming to life once he got to Montreal. And Montour was a hot mess there. Sure, Hall and Staal have name recognition, but so what?

Foligno is more interesting to me. He's declining rapidly but still has a good, reliable defensive impact and Toronto really needs that up front. Yeah, a first is a lot for a guy who isn't going to score much, but if he's a good enough fit otherwise then ... OK.

LeBrun says the conditional 3rd becomes a 2nd if the Pens win the Cup and Carter plays in at least 50% of the games.
Cap Friendly says the 3rd becomes a 2nd if the Pens reach the Cup Final and Carter plays at least r0% of the games. The 2023 4th becomes a 3rd if Carter plays at least 50% of the playoff games.

Back