• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline Thread

Marc Staal is still available...😀 I would have been ok seeing E Staal back here for a swan song tour with this current bunch.

I'm fine with the Canes waiting. I'm sure we all would rather have our deadline deals just be Trocheck and Teravainen. If we were losing regularly this would be a different story.

Honestly, it's not E Staal has done ANYTHING this season. Even at half price, I'm not all that comfortable throwing 2 draft picks at that guy. I was thinking more like a 4th and we're done.

E Staal at 50%. and Montreal needs every spare coin they can get IIRC (@Habsy ?)
This was a no brainer. Cost nothing. Shows you how tight the market is this year. He's a center and there are very few available and that's all he cost? With retention?

Honestly, it's not E Staal has done ANYTHING this season. Even at half price, I'm not all that comfortable throwing 2 draft picks at that guy. I was thinking more like a 4th and we're done.
Habs had 14 picks this year (a weak draft year). This cost them nothing, it's worth the gamble and I'd like to see him play with Perry.

Eric Staal is worth a 3rd and 5th, that is pretty much nothing to trade for him. I wouldn't get hung up on his numbers for the Sabres, he still knows what to do if the Habs can get the puck in the offensive zone (which someone else will be doing). He is plenty capable of being a solid 3rd liner in the NHL still.

Habs had 14 picks this year (a weak draft year). This cost them nothing, it's worth the gamble and I'd like to see him play with Perry.
I was speaking from Carolina's perspective. For Montreal that trade is all upside. Like you say, they have a huge pile of picks to burn and needs up front. Carolina? Not so much on the picks and we're still not sure exactly what the need even looks like. If Trochek can return, then it's minimal. If not, then ... maybe.

HNIC with Friedman on Saturday had a brief mention of the Canes kicking tires on Canucks defenseman Travis Hamonic...apparently once again Hamonic prefers to stay in Western Canada for family reasons but Waddell was simply checking in as a follow up to his comments from last week about his interest in acquiring another right shot D.

Hamonic would be a good fit as a rental if the price isn't too stupid, and it doesn't sound like the market is going to be particularly hot. You're not talking about forever ... just a rental ... so his preference of provinces might not be that big a deal. If it is, then you don't want him anyway. Why get a guy who cares more about his postal code than he does about a shot at a Cup?

Hamonic would be a good fit as a rental if the price isn't too stupid, and it doesn't sound like the market is going to be particularly hot. You're not talking about forever ... just a rental ... so his preference of provinces might not be that big a deal. If it is, then you don't want him anyway. Why get a guy who cares more about his postal code than he does about a shot at a Cup?
Yeah JB, the prices are certainly down this year for rentals, which is a good thing for teams like the Canes to add a depth piece or two.

It was for family reasons a few years ago. I don't think location is still a concern.

I would like that move for depth, I would interested to see what that means for the Canes lineup. If the Canes go out and do something like that does that put Bean or Fleury in the press box?

I would like that move for depth, I would interested to see what that means for the Canes lineup. If the Canes go out and do something like that does that put Bean or Fleury in the press box?
Fleury ... because Bean is doing a very nice job running that second power play unit. I appreciate that Fleury is no longer a liability, but he just doesn't offer the passing that Bean does and Bean's really no less reliable in his own end. For me that's a no brainer

What are expansion issues if we moved Fleury for Hamonic? What are expansion issues for any trade we make involving more than picks?

What are expansion issues if we moved Fleury for Hamonic? What are expansion issues for any trade we make involving more than picks?
Whew ... no way in heck they'd pay that high a price for a 3rd pair rental. We're talking about current day Travis Hamonic, after all. He's fine but you're not throwing that much at the guy in a soft market.

Back