• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp 2022

I respect your philosophy of taking higher offensive upside at that draft position. I think the fact we took two players with offensive upside before him made them more willing to take a chance on a higher floor lower ceiling player.

He would be gone in the low 20`s IMO if it wasnt for Covid and limited play

Last edited:

Barron said his goal in Buffalo was to get his legs under him to prepare for training camp because he hadn’t played a game since early April. He conceded that with his professional experience, he should be able to have a tangible impact in that event.

He didn’t.

Barron was not necessarily bad in Buffalo, but he didn’t stand out, either. And now that main camp has begun, with Monday being his first game, Barron still is not standing out.

He had the inside track for a spot on the right side of the Canadiens defence, and maybe he still does, but Barron hasn’t played like someone who deserves that inside track right now.

Barron got plenty of opportunity Monday, playing alongside Matheson on the top pair, playing 22 minutes, playing on both special teams, but it was largely underwhelming. At one point on the power play, Barron got the breakout going and dropped the puck back to prepare for the zone entry, except he positioned himself right in the middle of the ice at the opposing blue line and wound up intercepting his team’s pass to gain the zone when the puck hit his skate. He got in the way, basically.

Late in the game, with less than five minutes to play and the Canadiens pushing for the tying goal, they had sustained offensive zone pressure when Barron got the puck at the right point and forced a pass through the teeth of the defence. Predictably, it was picked off, and the Devils were able to clear the zone and get a change. Any momentum the Canadiens had built was dead.

Any opinions on Slafkovsky so far? I've been watching the game while busy with other stuff.
In the Devils game he barely reached the threshold speed that is required to be an effective NHL player ( according to Director of Analytics of SMT , Shane Kelly )

In the Devils game he barely reached the threshold speed that is required to be an effective NHL player ( according to Director of Analytics of SMT , Shane Kelly )

I guess Tavares , Getzlaf and others did ok with worse wheels than Slaf

I guess Tavares , Getzlaf and others did ok with worse wheels than Slaf
Supposedly only one player last year did not reach the threshold speed in any of his games (min 10 games). That was Backstrom, who required hip surgery this summer, Slaf's top speed was in the range of Backstrom's.

Supposedly only one player last year did not reach the threshold speed in any of his games (min 10 games). That was Backstrom, who required hip surgery this summer, Slaf's top speed was in the range of Backstrom's.
If he has a Backstrom caliber career , thats great

Big players tend to take longer to develop. I expect lots of growing pains for Slafkovsky. The reports on the skating were not bad wheels for his size. I'm not concerned about "threshold speed" in his first game against NHL players. He has time to become a good NHL player. We have to develop him properly. Patience and helping him with the glare of the spotlight will be key.

From clips I saw from last season and trading camp, he didn’t seem to have any issues with skating. Maybe he just didn’t have his legs last night??

Big players tend to take longer to develop. I expect lots of growing pains for Slafkovsky. The reports on the skating were not bad wheels for his size. I'm not concerned about "threshold speed" in his first game against NHL players. He has time to become a good NHL player. We have to develop him properly. Patience and helping him with the glare of the spotlight will be key.

Yup

Back