• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Svech gets the Steve Chiassom Award as voted in by the team. It’s awarded to “the player that best exemplifies determination and dedication while proving to be an inspiration to his teammates through his performance and approach to the game.”

Pretty remarkable testament to this young man....and it bodes well for a potential long-time leader of this team.

I think we all knew the Canes had gotten stupidly lucky at the time, and yet we were all vastly under estimating just how lucky. That kid is a generational player and a remarkably decent and driven human being.

Humor me. What if Buffalo had taken him instead of Dahlin? Do we think Waddell would have taken Dahlin or stayed with forwards and drafted Kotakaniemi (and I’m glad I don’t have to type that every day) or Tkachuk?

We would have taken Dahlin without hesitation and have been really happy about it. We were going to be big time winners either way.

Hamilton left practice early in visible discomfort. Trainer Doug Bennett followed him into the locker room. That’s all we’ll know unless Hamilton addresses it himself; teams can’t disclose injuries of any kind under the RTP rules.

Putting a bow on the season ending awards, the Carolina chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has chosen Jordan Martinook as the recipient of the Josef Vasicek Award recognizing cooperation with the media. They have chosen Sebastian Aho as the MVP, joining Eric Staal as the only 3 time winner. They had previously selected James Reimer as the Masterton nominee.

According to the PHWA website, the Carolina chapter is chaired by Luke DeCock. Members are Bob Sutton of the Burlington Times-News (although maybe not anymore, he was laid off a few months ago), Joedy McCreary from AP, Chip Alexander, Cory Lavalette of the North State Journal and Sara Civian.

Honestly, as good as Aho was this season I'm not sure I wouldn't have preferred Teravainen for MVP. Dude was on pace for the high 50s in assists with 60 a completely plausible outcome. That's nuts, especially considering that he didn't get many of those cheaply.

I was a critic of Teravainen and kept waiting for him to show he was what folks were bragging on. I think I let my bias "prove it to me" stance get in the way. He has turned out to be quite the stealth player. Solid defensive play and then just sneaky good. I just thought he was too soft, but what he is is smart. I love when I am proved wrong like that!

Hamilton left practice early in visible discomfort. Trainer Doug Bennett followed him into the locker room. That’s all we’ll know unless Hamilton addresses it himself; teams can’t disclose injuries of any kind under the RTP rules.

Dougie did not practice today.

If you still are looking for those Canes masks and want instant gratification, they have them at Dicks at Cary Crossroads for the same price as on the web.

team list of 52 people headed to Toronto due at 5 pm ET today. I guess Canes will put it on their website. 31 players max , no limit of goalies.

Back