• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I watched some of Koln-Dusseldorf on the weekend. Koln were pumping in crowd noise, including the drums, and tailored it to the action (e.g., lots of whistling whenever there was a skirmish). On TV all you see are the mostly empty first ten rows, so the effect is kind of like watching a Liga MX match, only with better players and without the crap pitch.

Speaking of the track at Wilkesboro, this video is pretty cool to watch.

Also, when I had the time and money to hit Merlefest, I loved driving by the old racetrack there because it meant that we were at Merlefest. Yay!!

I'm not an auto racing fan. It just has never been my thing. But one thing I do appreciate is the history of sports and efforts to preserve that history for generations to come. That video showing them cleaning up Wilkesboro so they could scan it for iRacing was very cool, even for a non-car racing guy like me. The nostalgia of the 'old', be it an 'old barn' or 'old field' or in this case 'old track' is something I definitely enjoy. Sure the 'new' places are nice enough, but there is something about the old classic arenas of sport that never go out of style.

Last edited:
Appalachian State is eliminating men’s soccer, men’s tennis & men’s indoor track & field. Surprised no women's team is cut I assume due to Title 9

Appalachian State is eliminating men’s soccer, men’s tennis & men’s indoor track & field. Surprised no women's team is cut I assume due to Title 9

That brings them down to 17 sports, 1 more than the minimum required for D1 membership. The school has women’s teams in all 3 men’s sports being dropped.

Edit: they’re also eliminating all vacant positions in the athletic department and “exploring additional personnel actions, with guidance from the university”.

Last edited:

As long as the F storm in this cycle skips us, I’ll be OK.

This is the 4th Bertha since the 1996 Hurricane made landfall between Wrightsville and Topsail. We had reservations in North Myrtle the next day. There was a lot of flooding as we drove through Wilmington and some minor flooding in North Myrtle, but relatively minor damage. The next Bertha was a minimal tropical storm that hit Louisiana and moved back into the Gulf. The 2 after that were both Hurricanes, neither made landfall in the US. The 2014 storm made landfall in the UK though.

As long as the F storm in this cycle skips us, I’ll be OK.

This is the 4th Bertha since the 1996 Hurricane made landfall between Wrightsville and Topsail. We had reservations in North Myrtle the next day. There was a lot of flooding as we drove through Wilmington and some minor flooding in North Myrtle, but relatively minor damage. The next Bertha was a minimal tropical storm that hit Louisiana and moved back into the Gulf. The 2 after that were both Hurricanes, neither made landfall in the US. The 2014 storm made landfall in the UK though.
Bertha 96 hit a few months after I refinished my sister's oak floors and did some other upgrades to her little place that was not on piles just back of the Wrightsville school. Insurance did the work after that.
Found out wiring up her kitchen I didn't turn off the right breaker. Surprised the hell out of one of my best friends who was helping that weekend!

watched 1st half of part 1 of Lance Armstrong doc on ESPN. It's good so far. I did not know he started out as a triathlete. Maybe the best scene was the very first scene. He started juicing at 21. He said the big change was when EPO came out, that makes your body have more red blood cells to use more oxygen. Dr. he worked with said only use EPO, nothing else was needed. Probably watch the rest this weekend and part 2 next week.

The English Premier League recently returned to full training. Today they announced that the season will restart with 2 matches on June 17; Aston Villa v. Sheffield United and Man City v. Arsenal. Those are the “games in hand” matches and will get all 20 clubs to 29 matches played. There may be 1 March on June 19 but the full round of fixtures will start on June 20. With 9 matches to go, they hope to complete the season by the weekend of August 1.

They've had 12 positive tests in three rounds of resting while they were locked down so guess that gives us an indication of how many positive NHLers they'd still move ahead with.

They've had 12 positive tests in three rounds of resting while they were locked down so guess that gives us an indication of how many positive NHLers they'd still move ahead with.

Is that just players or does it include coaches and staff? I know Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tested positive in mid-March.

Serie A is planning on re-starting on June 20. That leaves just La Liga that hasn’t announced their plans.

Is that just players or does it include coaches and staff? I know Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tested positive in mid-March.

Pretty sure it includes coaches and staff - it's the results of their three rounds of mass testing. 6 in the first round, 2 in the second, 4 in the third.

Back