• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holiday Inn is upscale compared to the All-Star. But you’re right, they’re fine. Although I’ll spend the extra $15-20 per night to stay at the Pop Century.
FWIW, 2 out of the 3 Disney All Star Resorts (Movies and Music) have had recent room renovations to bring them up to par with the rooms at Pop Century ... in terms of amenities at least. They're still tiny, but now you get decent queen beds and one retracts up into a wall pocket so you can flex into more leg room during the day if you want. They aren't my first choice, but they are dramatically better than they were.

On the subject of Orlando theme park travel, I'd be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for Universal. The two main theme parks are REALLY different with the addition of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter lands, and their Volcano Bay water theme park is really, really cool. MUCH better than any of Disney's water parks. They have now expanded the on site resort options to range from the truly luxurious (Portofino Bay is a personal favorite, and the Hard Rock Hotel is nice) to the truly inexpensive (the new Endless Summer resorts where a smallish 2 bedroom suite costs as little as $125 a night depending on time of year). Universal has picked up their restaurant and food game in recent years as well. They have a ton to offer and vacations at Universal Orlando require virtually no pre-planning unlike their competitors over at Disney. I sell a lot of Universal packages and they do a great job of taking care of their folks.

Am I the only one here who will be happy if he never has to vacation in Orlando again? No offense to those of you who clearly enjoy Disney, Universal, etc., but after visiting at least a half dozen times since I was a kid, I have zero interest in returning when there are so many other vacation options available.

You might be! :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm more likely to end up in Vegas if its just my wife and I than I am Orlando, but we definitely have a lot more we want to do in the Orlando area without the kids and with the kids. There are a lot of new things at Disney and it will have been 10 years since we last went to Universal by the time we are looking at our next real travel vacation.

At some point we will definitely want to do the Canes road trip to Vegas and turn it into a mini vacation.

Am I the only one here who will be happy if he never has to vacation in Orlando again? No offense to those of you who clearly enjoy Disney, Universal, etc., but after visiting at least a half dozen times since I was a kid, I have zero interest in returning when there are so many other vacation options available.

Last year was the first time we had been in probably 4-5 years. My father lives in Florida and my sister used to live on the other side of Orlando from Disney and Universal, so we used to tie visits to them into a trip to one of them. I haven’t been to the Star Wars stuff yet, and the only trip to Universal I‘be taken in the last 25 years was at Thanksgiving the year Harry Porter world opened. And the lines were so ridiculously long that we didn’t ride anything.

My wife has a Disney branded credit card so we’ll be back in a few years. We may be racing around the park in motorized scooters, but she needs a fix every few years.

At some point we will definitely want to do the Canes road trip to Vegas and turn it into a mini vacation.

I’ve never been to Vegas and we were in the preliminary stages of planning a combined trip to Vegas and Napa Valley. At some point, that will happen.

Maybe once Seattle joins the league, we’ll do a road trip there too, and combine it with a trip to see our daughter and my sister in Portland. There is no way our daughter would allow us to go to a game in Seattle without her.

We took the kid there a few years ago and that was enough for me. The wife might take the kid back for another trip, but not me.

Nah ... you're fine. There's probably too many people there already anyway. So long as some of them keep paying me, then I'm good :0)

And for the record ... I agree about other options. Go and see the world folks.

Nah ... you're fine. There's probably too many people there already anyway. So long as some of them keep paying me, then I'm good :0)

And for the record ... I agree about other options. Go and see the world folks.

I’ve been to Disney twice when the Magic Kingdom closed to anyone not staying on-site due to capacity limits. Fun times...

I’ve been to Disney twice when the Magic Kingdom closed to anyone not staying on-site due to capacity limits. Fun times...
That must look ugly when things get to that point at the entry gates, sadly, for the foreseeable future, capacity limits will be so small for the rest of the year at Disney, everyone should just stay clear until the Covid stuff levels off and some sort of normalcy returns...

Never been there and never plan to go and happy about both. So no.

When I was in college my parents had just moved to the Newport Beach area and my mom LOVED Disneyland, so we wound up going there a lot (also because two siblings had part-time jobs there so we got some passes). My best memory was taking my grandfather - in his late '70's - on Space Mountain right after it opened in 1977. He came out of it a bit bug-eyed. That being said, I agree - enough is enough.

When I was in college my parents had just moved to the Newport Beach area and my mom LOVED Disneyland, so we wound up going there a lot (also because two siblings had part-time jobs there so we got some passes). My best memory was taking my grandfather - in his late '70's - on Space Mountain right after it opened in 1977. He came out of it a bit bug-eyed. That being said, I agree - enough is enough.

We took my wife’s then 80 year old aunt to Disneyworld in 2006. Pirates of the Caribbean had just reopened with Jack Sparrow added, my kids had gone to the midnight show before we left, so we headed there first. We got to within 2 boats of the exit and the ride broke down. We had to walk back stage and came out the back and had to climb a steep hill to get back to the plaza. Someone was handing out tickets that functioned as a Fast Pass to every rider as they came out the door. I was walking with my wife’s a unit, we were well behind everyone. The Disney employee who had been passing out the tickets was walking with us. He asked her how she was and she said, “this is my first time here and the first ride I went on broke down”. He shoved all the remaining tickets at us and I quickly grabbed them and stuffed them in my backpack. We didn’t wait on a line that had Fast Passes the rest of the week. The next day, we were in Epcot. We took her over to see Test Track so she could decide if she wanted to ride it. She said, “You already broke me, so why not”.

Last edited:
If there is no season they are probably getting a salary cap the next time the contract expires. They are the only major US sport with a real farm system but they are looking to cut a bunch of minor league teams so that will cut money.

Back a few years, before the quarantine; I took the ghost of my ex-wife's grandfather to Disneyplanet. We got to ride the secret Pirate's Big Thunder Splash Haunted Mansion of the Caribbean that hardly anyone aside for JeffBear knows about. Of course it broke down, and we got to walk backstage and meet the real Mickey Mouse. Not someone in a suit, but the REAL Mickey Mouse. We also got to see Mr. Disney's head in a jar and hold one of Scrooge McDuck's gold coins. (he made sure he got it back). The nazi rally at the end was weird, but all in all an entertaining day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back