• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hey Nerds - Back Surgeons

Getting a procedure done April 1st. Brother is an orthopaedic surgeon and still have to wait my turn lol. Seeing doctor to shrink nerves that are causing craziness while wait for the herniated disc repairing

Getting a procedure done April 1st. Brother is an orthopaedic surgeon and still have to wait my turn lol. Seeing doctor to shrink nerves that are causing craziness while wait for the herniated disc repairing

1. How long have you waited?
2. What painkillers you using?

1.MRI was I think like October or early November that showed damage
2. Refuse painkillers

Ah ok so that's not a disastrous wait. I think I have some ins that might shorten that too but I'm trying to work all angles.

My dad's must be worse than yours- he hates painkillers but he just cant sleep so I'm trying to find him something that works. Gonna try pregabalin and see how it goes.

Herniated disc issues, if taking surgery route, wait would be 2-3 years from what I’ve been told.

Nerve procedure isn’t through hospital -pulled a lot of strings - to cut lines to see docs and have something that would help short term. Why quicker.

and dunno 🤷🏼‍♂️ about which is worse. if msun is secretly back on here reading - he would chime in that I’m used to not sleeping much 😂. They’ve given me local injections to stop the spasms - but addictive personality here, so not trying drugs that are known to be addictive

Ah ok so that's not a disastrous wait. I think I have some ins that might shorten that too but I'm trying to work all angles.

My dad's must be worse than yours- he hates painkillers but he just cant sleep so I'm trying to find him something that works. Gonna try pregabalin and see how it goes.

My dad had a bulged disc years ago. Unlike some others it wasn't terrible right from the start. Started as just mild pain and then slowly deteriorated to extreme pain, until it got to the point where he could not get out of bed and, without exaggeration, he talked about wanting to die.

Pain killers kept getting escalated. First he self regulated with Advil, T3's, eventually morphine, and I think perccocets...eventually nothing worked except straight up oxy's. At that time we knew they could be addictive but nothing else worked at all the pain was so bad.

He was weeks away from surgery when one day the pain started to subside and he just ended up making a full recovery on his own. Crazy. And had no problem giving up the oxy's.

I guess my point is the pain can definitely progress and be unbearable. If it happened again, knowing what we know now about oxy's, I'd probably do a deep dive into some of the cannabis options for pain relief. I have no idea myself if it works for this kind of thing, but I do know some people with chronic injuries and even cancer who used it to get off pain killers and function day to day. They absolutely swear by it.

Good luck! Hope he feels better and gets the surgery soon. Herniated discs are the worst.

My dad had a bulged disc years ago. Unlike some others it wasn't terrible right from the start. Started as just mild pain and then slowly deteriorated to extreme pain, until it got to the point where he could not get out of bed and, without exaggeration, he talked about wanting to die.

Pain killers kept getting escalated. First he self regulated with Advil, T3's, eventually morphine, and I think perccocets...eventually nothing worked except straight up oxy's. At that time we knew they could be addictive but nothing else worked at all the pain was so bad.

He was weeks away from surgery when one day the pain started to subside and he just ended up making a full recovery on his own. Crazy. And had no problem giving up the oxy's.

I guess my point is the pain can definitely progress and be unbearable. If it happened again, knowing what we know now about oxy's, I'd probably do a deep dive into some of the cannabis options for pain relief. I have no idea myself if it works for this kind of thing, but I do know some people with chronic injuries and even cancer who used it to get off pain killers and function day to day. They absolutely swear by it.

Good luck! Hope he feels better and gets the surgery soon. Herniated discs are the worst.

Yeah trying to avoid opioids as much as possible. He says he slept pretty well last night with the pregabalin so hopefully that keeps working.

Just got a referral from a friend so hopefully there's a quick response. Weirdly I'm kinda hoping it's more serious so the doc feels the need to push it. His doc seems to think the disc is mostly completely gone so the chances of it fixing itself and going back in is very low. Its hitting at least both his sciatic nerves and if it starts affecting anything else its panic time.

I have had back pain for eons. So has Roger Federer. Lots of stuff you can do. Tons of it.

But every case is different.

I live with it. It comes out of nowhere and incapacitates me for a period of time. Believe it or not, an epsom salt bath right away, is right up there for me, in terms of relief.

I have had back pain for eons. So has Roger Federer. Lots of stuff you can do. Tons of it.

But every case is different.

I live with it. It comes out of nowhere and incapacitates me for a period of time. Believe it or not, an epsom salt bath right away, is right up there for me, in terms of relief.
Get your scientists on it.

This Surgery can help (see: muzzin) but success rate isn’t great.

friend had it done. Met twopeople heading into surgery who were going back under the knife. For one it didnt take. The other had the initial procedure done incorrectly and was dealing with a world of troubles (not what you want to hear rigbt before you go under for the same procedure).

as for that friend... was much better, back at the gym, etc then threw it out again on the hike to machu pichu. basically, he’s where he was before the surgery. Flares up and down sporadically and when it’s bad...still terrible.

also, I saw him a few days after the surgery and the leaking out of the wound is fucking disgusting.

Dad comes out strutting the morning after surgery. Lots of big dick energy from the old man. Apparently there was a pretty massive chunk of crusty disc jelly compressing his spine, but looks like everything went perfect.

3 months since the start of this thread. Not bad for our rationed commie healthcare.

Back