• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

What I'm interested in, from a legal perspective, is how fact checking counts as violation of free speech. You absolutely have the right to free speech (*) in the US, what you don't have is the right to be right. Is the platform fact checking you not them exercising their free speech? Aren't you violating their right to free speech by stifling their ability to debate you by way of fact checking?

This is a gross assault on free speech clothed in the defence of it.

From what I read, there is no validity from a legal perspective. It's just childish insanity.

Twitter didn't censor him. They added a link to an article.

And of course, twitter is a private company and has censored many for violating their terms and conditions (as they have the right to do)

Congress would have to classify social media as a public utility. You really couldn't get more communist than that.

The validity doesn't matter.

The fact is that half of the government will let it happen, which puts real pressure on the companies behavior (and stock prices), and there's a real risk that partisan courts will find some way to let it take some legal effect too.

The crazy part when you actually read it is is just reads like extortion. Prohibiting the spending of tax dollars on social media platforms that do things he doesn't like.

The validity doesn't matter.

The fact is that half of the government will let it happen, which puts real pressure on the companies behavior (and stock prices), and there's a real risk that partisan courts will find some way to let it take some legal effect too.

I don't they'll back him on this one... btw DOW just lost a quick 200 points

I don't they'll back him on this one... btw DOW just lost a quick 200 points

They will try their best to walk the line but that's really bad in itself - anything less than outrage and condemnation is tacit approval and legitimization.

At the end of the day Twitter and Facebook are big donors to both sides. There is a reason why they are effectively unregulated still. Will the GOP really turn their backs on that sweet Zuckerberg money?

remember, the issue here is always the same - they don't actually care about free speech, and they do think media and social media is unfair to them.

They would secretly love for Trump to be able to do this.

If only there was something else for him to devote attention to instead of this petty shit.

That is easily the most obvious issue in all of this. He's the President of a country where reasonable projections expect another 150K to die between now and September (on top of the 100K official total which is probably 50-100K short of the real mark) in a pandemic of severity we haven't seen in 100 years. But he's out here mad that Twitter fucking fact checked him. Any reasonable human being would have a full schedule just managing a historic public health crisis.

He's competence away from being one of history's worst monsters. Thank fuck he's thoroughly incompetent and lazy.

That is easily the most obvious issue in all of this. He's the President of a country where reasonable projections expect another 150K to die between now and September (on top of the 100K official total which is probably 50-100K short of the real mark) in a pandemic of severity we haven't seen in 100 years. But he's out here mad that Twitter fucking fact checked him. Any reasonable human being would have a full schedule just managing a historic public health crisis.

He's competence away from being one of history's worst monsters. Thank **** he's thoroughly incompetent and lazy.

Not just fact checked him, but fact checked him on a blatantly lie in an outright attempt to suppress voters.

How many times did he violate the constitution on this one?

Good thing he learned his lesson.

He's competence away from being one of history's worst monsters. Thank **** he's thoroughly incompetent and lazy.

this

I hate the comparisons to hitler or Stalin. I don’t think dorito is an evil psychopath line those tyrants; he’s just a moron who has lived his whole life in a bubble and has no perception of the consequence of any of his actions.

Back