• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

How many shitty offseasons are these guys going to get?

They fucked up keeping a World Series calibre team competitive
They fucked up not pulling the plug a year or two earlier and actually getting value for their assets
They are in the process of fucking up adding legit MLB talent to the young roster of budding studs whose clocks have started

Outside of finding cheap pen pieces and maybe drafting i have no earthly idea what these guys do well, and i suspect the drafting part of it has little to do with them. The reclaimation projects they have attempted at the big league level have more or less been abject failures thus far. Their affinity for overaged prospects in AAA who can't crack good teams has yet to yield a single plus ball player ( unless you love Teo or Thornton) and the traits they seem to like in a big leaguer, (30ish HR, and athleticism) are proving to be not that useful if you can't defend, or get on base.

They just shouldn't say anything. It's an embarrassment every time these guys speak.

Ask fans to be patient and see where the chips fall by spring training.

“Talking about how we work through a pref list would be also something that is nuanced and difficult to explain, but it’s not just as simple as choosing who we like and going to get them,” Atkins said during his daily briefing with media. “It’s also the acquisition cost, it’s also the inherent risk and what I think we’ve made relatively clear is that we’ve had discussions at all levels of the market and have focused on the top, as most teams probably do.

“But we don’t just go down a list and say he’s gone, let’s go on to the next one,” Atkins continued. “You’re constantly having discussions with all of them and weighing what the potential acquisition costs are, what the alternatives are, but you’re also weighing different constructs, weighing the potential of multiples instead of just one and what does that mean. And always with the backdrop of a budget and opportunities on the trade front.”

They are too indecisive to be pro sports general managers. They put the emphasis on formulating plans over execution. Doing things is risky.

“Talking about how we work through a pref list would be also something that is nuanced and difficult to explain, but it’s not just as simple as choosing who we like and going to get them.....”

"....you dumb plebes."

These guys make it sound like building a bad baseball team is rocket surgery.

I'm wondering if they realize that they're just baffling us all with bullshit, or if they actually like the smell of their own farts.

Atkins is really bad at this public-facing aspect of the role. He sort of looks like he should be articulate, but he is not.

The main fear when Shapiro, who has a pretty mediocre track record, tapped Atkins for the GM role was that he was just bringing in a yes-man to carry out his own risk-avoidance plan. There has always been some room for hope that Atkins is some kind of independent thinker, but if he is, he sure can't put it into words.

I'm afraid that the more forward-thinking elements of the organization moved to Pittsburgh this off-season. Imagine if the Jays amateur scouting and development gets as bad as the pro side now that Cherington and Sanders are gone.

In fairness the Jays process is difficult to explain.

How does "I can't explain my process" guy even get a job.

It’s like the Office episodes where they were interviewing replacements for Michael and Will Arnett interviewed and said he had a three part plan to reenergize the business but wouldn’t share it. He finally agreed to share one part of one part of it.

These guys make it sound like building a bad baseball team is rocket surgery.

I'm wondering if they realize that they're just baffling us all with bullshit, or if they actually like the smell of their own farts.

They probably really do think they're the smartest guys in the room.

That said, I don't really think they're speaking to the fans or the media at all. Their weaselly corporate double-speak and obsession with being risk-averse is all aimed at their bosses at Rogers, who right from the beginning have happily lapped up that shit from these milquetoast, gutless losers.

Atkins is really bad at this public-facing aspect of the role. He sort of looks like he should be articulate, but he is not.

He's what a dumb man's idea of a smart man sounds like.

The main fear when Shapiro, who has a pretty mediocre track record, tapped Atkins for the GM role was that he was just bringing in a yes-man to carry out his own risk-avoidance plan. There has always been some room for hope that Atkins is some kind of independent thinker, but if he is, he sure can't put it into words.

around the time of the Shapiro hiring, and the AA firing, a lot of ink was spilled about Shapiro always having a sore spot about how he was shuffled off to the business side of the Indians and away from baseball ops. Anyone who didn't think Atkins was purely a coffee getter was kidding themselves from the onset.

I'm afraid that the more forward-thinking elements of the organization moved to Pittsburgh this off-season. Imagine if the Jays amateur scouting and development gets as bad as the pro side now that Cherington and Sanders are gone.

The team is DOA as long as Shapiro is in charge, and probably as long as Rogers is the owner. We need a billionaire sugar daddy.

The team is DOA as long as Shapiro is in charge, and probably as long as Rogers is the owner. We need a billionaire sugar daddy.
agree 100% with the first sentence.

for the second sentence, I mean, we already have one of the richest owners in all of pro sports. they just happen to be a bunch of risk-averse fagpouchies. so sure, we need a sugar daddy. too bad the first billionaire owner wasn't willing to pony up though.

Back