• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: What are you Watching/Listening/Drinking?

and i'm anything but a stickler.

i'll make "carbonara" with any dried meat i have.

pesto with most any nut or herb.

just a few pet peeves / nonos for me:

* carrots and celery in the sauce
* cream in carbonara
* flour in the cutlets

and maybe a couple others that aren't coming to mind right

Japanese is my #1. A whole whack of latin and south american countries are up there for me that take up the next two slots easily. I guess I'll narrow it down to Mexican and Peruvian although that's being unfair to Colombia, Venezuela, etc. Italian is next on my list but the older I get the more I feel like that's just out of comfort and my own bias. It's just kind of overrated. And a lot of the things people love these days are the poor people food that I got sick of as a child. So maybe in some ways I'm missing out on the "newness" of some of the classic dishes. I got over many of them and I am downright sick of others. I eat Italian maybe twice a month these days and it has been a refreshing change.

Japanese is my #1. A whole whack of latin and south american countries are up there for me that take up the next two slots easily. I guess I'll narrow it down to Mexican and Peruvian although that's being unfair to Colombia, Venezuela, etc. Italian is next on my list but the older I get the more I feel like that's just out of comfort and my own bias. It's just kind of overrated. And a lot of the things people love these days are the poor people food that I got sick of as a child. So maybe in some ways I'm missing out on the "newness" of some of the classic dishes. I got over many of them and I am downright sick of others. I eat Italian maybe twice a month these days and it has been a refreshing change.

I don't think you can separate the bias out of it. Food has too many emotional associations to be ranked "objectively" or "fairly"

My rankings were strictly based on which cuisines satisfy my cravings the most. I can appreciate the artistry of fried reindeer moss but I'm not ordering that as my last meal.

I don't think you can separate the bias out of it. Food has too many emotional associations to be ranked "objectively" or "fairly"

My rankings were strictly based on which cuisines satisfy my cravings the most. I can appreciate the artistry of fried reindeer moss but I'm not ordering that as my last meal.
Well I mean sometimes a shitty greasy burger satisfies my craving more than anything but I know it's objectively awful cuisine. Just like I know that a meatball, while tasty, isn't exactly record-breaking innovation. It's literally just meat shaped in a ball. On that note, do we consider meatballs Italian food or are they their own thing (i.e. Italian American)? I can appreciate the complexity involved in other cuisines from the standpoint of a cook, which is kind of how I look at and evaluate food.

Whether I crave something or not often depends on what I grew up with, which is not exactly fair evaluation. That's like saying the leafs are the best organization in sports because I cheer for them.

Oh wait. Zeke already does that.

Well I mean sometimes a shitty greasy burger satisfies my craving more than anything but I know it's objectively awful cuisine. Just like I know that a meatball, while tasty, isn't exactly record-breaking innovation. It's literally just meat shaped in a ball. On that note, do we consider meatballs Italian food or are they their own thing (i.e. Italian American)? I can appreciate the complexity involved in other cuisines from the standpoint of a cook, which is kind of how I look at and evaluate food.

Maybe cravings is the wrong word...how about the cuisine that consistently satisfies. Anyway, we're spoiled in North America. We can pretty much eat it all. Italians need to to rob a bank to get into a decent sushi spot.

As for meatballs, you gotta ask our resident wiseguy.

I don't even know how to list favorite cuisines. I can only cook italian style. nothing but the most basic recipe-following dishes of any other ethnicity. But i'll pretty much never order an italian dish at a restaurant.

Korean, Japanese, Thai, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Indian, Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Morroccan.....all amazing. I like South American too though i'm struggling a bit to come up with anything specific i love about it.

Though there's one cuisine i've tried a few times now but just can't get into at all - Ethiopian. Injera just doesn't work for me at all.

The margins that restaurants have on pasta dishes must be fucking mindblowing. Your serving of pasta may cost 50 cents in ingredients if lucky. Insanity I tells ya. And you can probably make something better at home with minimal effort. It's one of the easiest things to cook tbh.

Whether I crave something or not often depends on what I grew up with, which is not exactly fair evaluation. That's like saying the leafs are the best organization in sports because I cheer for them.

Oh wait. Zeke already does that.

nah every country has their own meatball.

of course, as always, italian is still italian.

The margins that restaurants have on pasta dishes must be fucking mindblowing.

That's why so many Italian restos have opened up in the last 5 yrs. People keep coming. Easy money.

Schawarma and Fried Chicken joints are also high margin. If chicken is your main protein on offer, you'll do well.

Back