• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Play-in Round: Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs Columbus Blue Jackets (9)

Any

That’s a good point. The NHL’s a gate-driven league, so how does this whole exercise not end up being a giant money-loser for them?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the NHL would be contractually obligated to pay back huge amounts of their TV deal money if they don’t have some kind of conclusion to this season.

Bobby Mac mentioned the league owes the networks 350 mil in this this or any resumption of play format , approx 500 mil for a cancelled season

I get rather annoyed at the "Why Bother" people. There will be no fans in the seats in October, so you can't just start fresh. This is the best way to make-up some revenue and you buy more time to maybe have fans in seats in January.

If baseball doesn't get their act together and they don't play this summer geeze they look bad.

Are there actually even "Why bother?" people?

I'm skeptical of whether this is a good idea from a health perspective, sure, but I wouldn't ask why they're bothering. I know why they're bothering. It's a business decision.

Yeah it's literally their job to try to make it work. Whether it will or not... I'm voting no and saying that they will never play a single game (or if they do, it will be shut down before it ends). Too much can go wrong and statistically speaking, it's bound to happen.

But yeah.. These aren't public health officials making these decisions. These are people who work for the NHL. Of course you expect them to try to figure it out and get creative. It's in their job description to do so. I admire the effort, but I'm not optimistic about them seeing it through.

Not sure how accurate it is, but according to this the gate is only 35% of NHL revenue:

Also, I'm not sure when that $600 mill from Seattle is due, but I imagine its not when league is shut down.

Bobby Mac mentioned the league owes the networks 350 mil in this this or any resumption of play format , approx 500 mil for a cancelled season

I can speak from actual client experience that this is a thing. There have been intense negotiations with networks about paying back advanced monies, and extending terms of deals.

This is not an ideal match-up for the Leafs. Maybe with guys like Muzzin in the lineup we can better handle their aggressive forecheck.

Kinda pissed that the League went with 24 rather than 20 teams. But still looking forward to setting up a big screen on my patio and enjoying the summer weather while cheering on the Leafs. Should be a lot of fun.

I can speak from actual client experience that this is a thing. There have been intense negotiations with networks about paying back advanced monies, and extending terms of deals.

The league is all about making money. In this case, it's probably really cheap to run these playoffs, since players I don't believe actually get paid in the playoffs anyways, so for sure the league will make money by running anything resembling hockey out, even if they have to finish the season on outdoor roller-blade rinks in Florida.

MLB, on the other hand, has a real problem, in that players have to get paid during the season. For their perspective, if they play half the season, they should make half their income. But MLB obviously will want them to play for much less than that.

I'm a little surprised that the NHLPA has actually been willing to go ahead with these proposals. My gut says that behind closed doors, there's basically a "agree to this right now and we'll make sure that we have a proper cap discussion for next year", knowing that if the NHLPA decided against getting these games in, the NHL would be able to really hammer them down when talking about next year's cap/escrow.

This is not an ideal match-up for the Leafs. Maybe with guys like Muzzin in the lineup we can better handle their aggressive forecheck.

Kinda pissed that the League went with 24 rather than 20 teams. But still looking forward to setting up a big screen on my patio and enjoying the summer weather while cheering on the Leafs. Should be a lot of fun.

Are you brining an indoor tv outside, purchasing an outdoor tv or do you have some sort of projector setup. I was considering buying a small cheap TV and a fire stick for the backyard this summer but dont know if it will work well.

Are there actually even "Why bother?" people?

I'm skeptical of whether this is a good idea from a health perspective, sure, but I wouldn't ask why they're bothering. I know why they're bothering. It's a business decision.
Yeah I just get annoyed with people who think write off the year and start in October. There will be no fans even in October. The NHL needs to make $. People will destroy them if basketball is in Disneyworld and there's no NHL. It makes no sense.

Are you brining an indoor tv outside, purchasing an outdoor tv or do you have some sort of projector setup. I was considering buying a small cheap TV and a fire stick for the backyard this summer but dont know if it will work well.
I have a spare 50 incher sitting idle. I'll put it under a big umbrella and have a tarp at the ready should things go south really fast.

The league is all about making money. In this case, it's probably really cheap to run these playoffs, since players I don't believe actually get paid in the playoffs anyways, so for sure the league will make money by running anything resembling hockey out, even if they have to finish the season on outdoor roller-blade rinks in Florida.

MLB, on the other hand, has a real problem, in that players have to get paid during the season. For their perspective, if they play half the season, they should make half their income. But MLB obviously will want them to play for much less than that.

I'm a little surprised that the NHLPA has actually been willing to go ahead with these proposals. My gut says that behind closed doors, there's basically a "agree to this right now and we'll make sure that we have a proper cap discussion for next year", knowing that if the NHLPA decided against getting these games in, the NHL would be able to really hammer them down when talking about next year's cap/escrow.

Players unions have to understand , no fans , concessions , luxury boxes etc....

Your pay has to be affected some way

The economics have changed overnight , those golden network deals are over for the time being

The NFL with empty seats analysts say will drop the cap by 50-60 mil

All need to share the pain

I thought...that if they worked with the tv networks and charged 1 dollar a game, I'd pay it....and this would be a total rake of funds.

I say Leafs in 4 but having it come down to game 5 in an all too close finish wouldn't surprise me either.

I think they struggle to look definitive in this series but they ultimately pull it out. And you know what, just advancing may give them the confidence they need to run the table, goaltending pending.

Andy looked dialed in today, apparently.

Excited to see the early healthy Keefe leafs, but with goaltending. Scary, scary team.

Andy looked dialed in today, apparently.

Excited to see the early healthy Keefe leafs, but with goaltending. Scary, scary team.

Both goalies looked really good in the clips. Only Tavares managed to score the lone goal in the game.

Back