• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The fungus among us

fergy57

So, I remember a while back, a number of us were discussing mushrooms.

Figured making a dedicated thread, even if it gets buried, could be a useful resource if anyone is considering trying them or looking for some advice.

A bit of a disclaimer: I have only started dabbling into mushrooms this year. I've done them 4 times so far. So I am by no means any kind of expert, merely sharing my experience and what I've discovered so far.

Here are some resources that I've found helpful so far:

Netflix: The Mind, Explained: Psychedelics

If you have netflix, there is a wonderful episode in the series The Mind, Explained that touches on psychedelics. Brief history of some different drugs, how they became illegal etc. Some interesting concepts are brought forward on using mushrooms as a treatment for anxiety and depression (the ski hill reference in the episode piqued my interest).

Consumption:

Obviously there are a number of different ways to consume mushrooms. So far, personally, I have tried chewing (gross to me, the pulpy texture almost induces a gag reflex), mixed in with gummies (same gross taste but less pulpy texture), and tea (I chose to drink the pulp as it had been softened by the hot water, wasn't nearly as bad as chewing- and I'm a no pulp OJ guy).

There is a method called lemon tekking where you let the mushrooms sit in an ounce of lemon juice for about 15 minutes to start breaking them down. It is supposed to have a faster, more intense (if shorter in duration), effect. Have not tried it yet, but may.

There is a site I found called double blind that has a lot of information on mushrooms as well. Here are links to how to make tea and lemon tekking. The articles are a bit rambly but I found them informative.

How to make shroom tea

How to lemon tek

Dosage:

Start small. While I haven't experience going too deep, I've heard stories of people that have taken too much too soon and had a bad time. In my 4 attempts so far, I would say I've probably done 1 gram for the first 2 times, 1.5 grams the 3rd time and 2 grams on my most recent trip. The effects on the first 3 were fairly mellow due to the smaller dose. 2 grams produced a much longer and more intense trip for me, personally. That amount felt good. I do not think that much would have been good to try on a first go, however.

Setting:

I think the setting and who you are with is important. Being outdoors is amazing, but at the same time, sitting inside in a dark room listening to music is quite an experience too. My social experience with mushrooms is fairly limited (did it the first time with friends, we ended up watching tv on a rainy night at the cottage for 8 hours lol). I hope to try a more outdoor social experience with a couple friends in the near future, so I will post how that goes. A friend with much more experience than me has said they are great in a group setting, but much more fun when everyone in the group is doing them.

My solo experiences have been done at home. I wouldn't necessarily recommend solo experiences for everyone, as they can bring out a lot of thoughts and emotions that have been buried deep down and may be difficult to deal with. Without getting too personal, my most recent experience (uh, last night lol), I spent pretty much the whole time crying my face off.

That may sound shitty and sad, but in the end, I was able to come out with a much better sense of who I am as a person and who I want to be as a person moving forward in my life. It helped me focus on relationships I need to continue, as well as ones that I need to end. It allowed me to take a different look at different habits I have (I have been smoking weed a lot to try to surpress or numb a lot of these emotions, which has inadvertantly been counter productive to my mental state, as an example), and gave me focus on what I need to get rid of in my life to be happier. I also came out with a better sense of where I may need to seek some extra help with things, instead of trying to confront them on my own.

Bit of a ramble there. Some people may see crying all night as a bad trip. A lot of what came up was hard to deal with, but in the end I feel in a much better place for acknowledging a lot of it- and I think the mushrooms I took allowed me to do that. Which brings me to the next section...

Strains:

My knowledge here is very limited. I know different strains have different potencies and effects. I have not done a ton of research other than brief reads on strains (and consulting friends with more experience), before purchasing.

I have tried 2 strains that I can really speak of. Blue meanies were my most recent strain, which, emotional confrontation aside were fantastically trippy. I remember at one point thinking 'man, I almost wish I wasn't dealing with all my emotional baggage right now, because I could get lost in the visual experience.

Golden teachers were the ones I tried before that. They seemed more mellow, although that could have been due to the smaller dosage.

That's what I've got for now. Hopefully it helps some people here, and hopefully others can chime in with tips or helpful suggestions :).

Most any you're likely to get are cubensis of some type or another. they're middling on the potency scale, but they're what can be grown easily indoors so that's what there is. Many other stronger varieties don't grow well outside of the wild.

GT's are a good time.

for my next time I have some Blue Meanies. Australian cubensis.

Beautiful if you were able to learn and deal with some issues while crying - not so great if you just got stuck in the crying phase!

But come on, peeps, just chew and swallow. It's nothing.

Medical shrooms have potential to treat and cure some of the biggest issues in society currently.

Beautiful if you were able to learn and deal with some issues while crying - not so great if you just got stuck in the crying phase!

But come on, peeps, just chew and swallow. It's nothing.

For the first number of years I’d have shrooms, I never had any issues either just eating them straight up, or alternatively, tossing them into a sandwich with some peanut butter.

But when I switched to making mushroom tea, there was just no going back for me. It just tastes like pretty normal tea to me (especially if you throw in a tea bag), and the effects on me are exactly the same whether I eat them or drink them. So why not?

Also makes them easier to divvy up if you’re doing them with a group of people.

For the first number of years I’d have shrooms, I never had any issues either just eating them straight up, or alternatively, tossing them into a sandwich with some peanut butter.

But when I switched to making mushroom tea, there was just no going back for me. It just tastes like pretty normal tea to me (especially if you throw in a tea bag), and the effects on me are exactly the same whether I eat them or drink them. So why not?

Also makes them easier to divvy up if you’re doing them with a group of people.

plus if you add a squeeze of lemon, it further eliminates that shroom flavour and mitigates against nausea

Back