• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Watch your step! The Copperheads are out & about right now. I killed one beside the deck steps about 10 days ago, then caught 2 more a few days apart Wednesday & Saturday. The one beside the deck was 3' and the other two were 26" & 29". The bigger one had to go because the neighbor lady's granddaughter sometimes comes over to watch the deer. They won't kill you, but they can definitely make you sick & their bite can hurt like hell.

Jim

5-24-24 Copperhead..jpg5-29-24 Copperhead..jpgCopperhead 6-1-24..jpg

Watch your step! The Copperheads are out & about right now. I killed one beside the deck steps about 10 days ago, then caught 2 more a few days apart Wednesday & Saturday. The one beside the deck was 3' and the other two were 26" & 29". The bigger one had to go because the neighbor lady's granddaughter sometimes comes over to watch the deer. They won't kill you, but they can definitely make you sick & their bite can hurt like hell.

Jim

View attachment 20676View attachment 20677View attachment 20678
Copperheads love cicadas.

Wasn't there one at the K-Mart plaza at Old Wake Forest and Six Forks? I have a vague memory of one there until the mid-90s when I bought my first little house in Oakdale, which is anther place totally changed. Or fucked, as I prefer to think of it.
I don’t remember a K-Mart there, but I remember a Builders Square, which was owned by K-Mart. When that closed, it became a Kroger. The space is now a biosystems facility.

Jim

View attachment 20676View attachment 20677View attachment 20678

I killed 2 last week in my yard and my dog caught one herself. She’s a snake wrangling mofo.

The kildaire antique barn was the corner and back aways of where Cary parkway and kildaire farm road are today. The other side of kildaire farm road was gardens for the kildaire farm Residents. The they started putting apartments and houses in each side of where cart parkway was gonna go and sold the houses saying cary parkway will never be built.
My great uncle built that barn (and a bunch of others) for the Kildaire family back when it was a working dairy farm. It was a storage barn on the very edge of the property and one of the last of the outbuildings to be torn down ... for a freaking oil change place, IIRC.

I don’t remember a K-Mart there, but I remember a Builders Square, which was owned by K-Mart. When that closed, it became a Kroger. The space is now a biosystems facility.
Yeah ... there was both a K-Mart and and Builders Square on that property. Like everything else in that stretch it used to flood regularly before the Crabtree watershed was finally stabilized. That's why everything on that side of Old Wake Forest is built on a raised elevation.

My great uncle built that barn (and a bunch of others) for the Kildaire family back when it was a working dairy farm. It was a storage barn on the very edge of the property and one of the last of the outbuildings to be torn down ... for a freaking oil change place, IIRC.
Originally it was right where Cary parkway was coming through so kildaire farms offered him the lot where the jiffy lube Is now and we moved it. The owner was one of my best friends. He held into it as long as possible, then tore it down, sold the paneling and beams and was planning on a Dairy Queen but Cary nixed that as the sign would be too large so he leased the property to quick 10 for an oil change place. They were later bought out by jiffy lube.

Originally it was right where Cary parkway was coming through so kildaire farms offered him the lot where the jiffy lube Is now and we moved it. The owner was one of my best friends. He held into it as long as possible, then tore it down, sold the paneling and beams and was planning on a Dairy Queen but Cary nixed that as the sign would be too large so he leased the property to quick 10 for an oil change place. They were later bought out by jiffy lube.
Cary wouldn’t allow a sign? I’m shocked. Just like Gypsy‘s Shiny Diner on Buck Jones was too shiny and Talbot’s traditional red awning was too red.

Yeah, it's time to remove that stupid signage law. Cary has changed a lot since it was first enacted. However, I'm sure that this issue is way down the to-do list of the city council.

Yeah, we lived down the road at the time. It was a little heartbreaking because My Uncle Jim came across from Scotland specifically to build those barns for the Kildaires and Kilgores.

Yeah, it's time to remove that stupid signage law. Cary has changed a lot since it was first enacted. However, I'm sure that this issue is way down the to-do list of the city council.
Yeah, head down to Hilton Head if you want to see some truly comedic tiny business signs. They make Cary seem like Myrtle Beach

BTW ... on copperheads ... apparently this has been a banner breeding year for those bastages. And the babies are FAR more venomous than the adults. Make no mistakes. If you see one, get rid of it. If it turns out to be some non-venomous snake instead, let a mouse loose outside or something to make amends.

Yeah, head down to Hilton Head if you want to see some truly comedic tiny business signs. They make Cary seem like Myrtle Beach
It's time fo Cary to stop being beigetown to match the personality of who actually lives here now.

Rangers fans?
Stop that. There are fans of many teams that live all around Raleigh as well. Besides, when the Whalers moved down to become the Hurricanes, it was Cary and Apex that had the lion's share of Canes fans. I should know since I was living in Raleigh at the time but made many trips to Cary to visit the future in-laws. Hardly any Canes swag around Raleigh, but it was everywhere in Cary and Apex.

Do New Yorkers live here in Cary? Of course, but there are plenty that live in Raleigh as well. Besides, there are shit tons of people from all over the country and the world that live here in Cary. I swear, the Cary-hating hipsters are just an IPA away from bitching about all of "them Asian people" that live here as well.

San Diego Padres infielder Tucupita Marcano has been given a lifetime ban for betting on baseball. He placed 387 bets for $150k in October 2022 and between July and November last year.

He lost on 96% of his baseball parlays. Very dumb for betting on baseball, extremely dumb for betting in his own team (he lost every one of those bets), and terrible at parlays too. Hat trick!

This does show though how parlays, while fun to bet, are a huge money maker for the betting companies. I think I read that parlays are losers on average like 90% of the time. Of course there is a difference between a +200 parlay and a +2000 parlay, but all those 'Same Game Parlay boosts' are being offered for a reason.

MLB don't play. Don't bet on it if you are involved in the game.

Yep, don't play the parlays and the only time you should bet on the underdog is if you know that they can win. I mean, I won about $50 on the Rangers during our series with them because I thought it was kinda odd that they were the underdog for the series. I didn't agree with Vegas on that and I took a bit of moolah from them.

Stop that. There are fans of many teams that live all around Raleigh as well. Besides, when the Whalers moved down to become the Hurricanes, it was Cary and Apex that had the lion's share of Canes fans. I should know since I was living in Raleigh at the time but made many trips to Cary to visit the future in-laws. Hardly any Canes swag around Raleigh, but it was everywhere in Cary and Apex.

Do New Yorkers live here in Cary? Of course, but there are plenty that live in Raleigh as well. Besides, there are shit tons of people from all over the country and the world that live here in Cary. I swear, the Cary-hating hipsters are just an IPA away from bitching about all of "them Asian people" that live here as well.
I keed, I keed. The only things I hate about Cary are their zoning and building code enforcement departments.

Back