• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

shortage of long haul truckers now. Could impact gas supply this summer. Extra certification needed to haul gas Many retired due to covid and not enough new guys

Remember how there was no toilet paper until the supply chain adjusted itself to the increased demand for consumer brands when 75% of the workforce shifted to working from home? Everybody's getting back into circulation now, so we're going to see the supply chain struggle to keep up with changing demand for stuff like gas and chicken tenders ... apparently. The markets adjust over time.

The Apple v. Epic Games trial starts Monday in Oakland. You may recall that Apple kicked Epic Games off the App Store last year when Epic offered an alternate payment method for Fortnite to escape the 30% commission due to Apple.

Dundon Capital Partners LLC is the current lead bidder for Hertz Global Holdings coming out of bankruptcy. They are partners with a couple other investment firms. There is one other rival bidding group. The bankruptcy sale hearing is in mid May. Anyhow Dundon may be soon be a part owner of Hertz.

Last edited:
Interesting. Hertz, once freed of some pesky over-burdened debt from the purchase of Dollar/Thrifty about a decade ago, might be an interesting bounce-back story once people get moving again. Like a lot of major American corporations, they suffered from going through the mergers and acquisitions phase and turning into a stock price/shareholder equity zombie. With nimble management that company could kick some butt, presuming their customer base comes back eventually.

He’s gonna have to spend some bucks early. Rental car companies got no bailout money and sold off huge chunks of their inventory. So much so that their is a shortage of cars and prices are stratospheric.

And the rental car companies will have problems replenishing their fleets. There is a critical computer chip shortage affecting production at every auto manufacturer. And when supply returns to normal, the rental companies will go to the back of the line, the manufacturers will replenish their dealers’ stock first.

deadline for real ID needed to fly pushed back again , now it's May 2023 A passport can be used instead of real ID drivers license
My wife gets to kick the can down the road a little farther. She didn’t have time to wait in the then-massive DMV lines in 2018 to renew her license so she just did a regular renewal online. Now she just needs to renew her passport, which expired last year.

Sooooo glad I blew half of a Saturday at one of those DMV Real ID events a year and a half ago. At least my passport os good thru 2029 so I don't have to deal with their bogged down nonsense. I've got travel clients who have been waiting for basic renewals for about 4 months now.

Sooooo glad I blew half of a Saturday at one of those DMV Real ID events a year and a half ago. At least my passport os good thru 2029 so I don't have to deal with their bogged down nonsense. I've got travel clients who have been waiting for basic renewals for about 4 months now.
I got my real ID.. In fact I showed them most of that documentation back in 1992 when I first got my license... then I was in TN for a year (renewl time then came back.. Finding it all was a pain in the *** But then it seemed like 60 days later I got my "Real" Drivers license.. the temp one expired before I got the new one but I didn't stop.. not my fault it too so #$@#ing long. I did my job.

I got upgraded to a real id a few years ago and I can't remember the process. If I recall correctly, I got the Cary DMV very early, was something like 5th in line, and it still took about two hours to get this done. There's an ex-drill sergeant that yells out helpful information every 30 minutes or so. LOL

Is this one of the things that you can make an appointment at the DMV for?
After looking it up on the DMV website, yes, this is something that you can make an appointment for. Just for fun, I went through the process of making an appointment the Cary DMV and the first available appointment date is June 16.

If you're not in a hurry to get it done but need to get it done by summer's end, this may be your best option.

Yeah ... they shifted to appointments for Real ID sometime last year without really telling anyone. For a while there you could get one 7-10 days out, but obviously people have figured it out and the wait time is a bit longer.

NCSU having outdoor graduation for first time in a long time. I guess PNC is backup in case of rain. They are having it over 2 days to have smaller crowds. It will be May 14-15 same weekend as UNC Duke had theirs Saturday.

The Athletic has once again replenished my supply of free 30-day guest passes. If any of you are interested in one, PM me.

Back