• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020-21 News Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have placed a bid to by Wrexham, who have been playing in the National League since being relegated from the Football League in 2008. Wrexham has been owned by a supporters trust since 2011 and 97.5% of the members voted to continue talks.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have placed a bid to by Wrexham, who have been playing in the National League since being relegated from the Football League in 2008. Wrexham has been owned by a supporters trust since 2011 and 97.5% of the members voted to continue talks.
If nothing else, board meetings would be a lot more fun.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Sergino Dest leaves Ajax for Barcelona for €22/23 million with add-ons. He‘ll sign a contract through June 2025.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After 18 consecutive losses, Schalke fired David Wagner. Schalke had announced severe financial restrictions over the summer and are essentially giving up on competing for the Bundesliga Championship or even European spots.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Dutch FA approved a request from FC Emmen to have Easy Toys as a short sponsor. The toys they sell? Sex toys.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Sergino Dest leaves Ajax for Barcelona for €22/23 million with add-ons. He‘ll sign a contract through June 2025.
I just hope he gets to play. That kid is all kinds of special, but he's only 19 and was getting all, game every game minutes at Ajax.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I just hope he gets to play. That kid is all kinds of special, but he's only 19 and was getting all, game every game minutes at Ajax.

He was rumored to be headed to Bayern before Barça got involved. Bayern doesn’t seem to have a problem putting youngsters in the lineup. Alphonso Davies made 43 appearances last season, including 8 in the Champions League and the full 90 in the final. I just hope Dest isn’t being penny wise and pound foolish.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... I mean, Barca have a history of burying youngsters, but of late they've broken young Ansu Fait into the big squad and surely they don't count on Jordi Alba playing left back forever. Dude is over 30 and has a bajillion miles on those legs. On the downside, they've got Akieme, Emerson and Wagui out on loan ... all dynamic fullbacks, all in their early 20s. Dest would just be another in a fairly crowded quiver. I've got my doubts about Barca as a suitable landing spot for Dest.

HNIM

Spurs get called for a dubious handball in their third straight match. This time it was offset by an appallingly bad handball the other way... the defender had his arms against his chest and the ball looked to not hit them anyway. Unfortunately it seems we're stuck with this nonsense for the rest of the year.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Spurs get called for a dubious handball in their third straight match. This time it was offset by an appallingly bad handball the other way... the defender had his arms against his chest and the ball looked to not hit them anyway. Unfortunately it seems we're stuck with this nonsense for the rest of the year.

Not necessarily. The Premier League has instructed referees to show more leniency after having discussions with the International Football Association Board. If the arm is in an unexpected position, it will be called a handball. So if a player has his hands close to his body and gets slammed in the arm with the ball, it won’t be called. However, if the arm is above shoulder height, it will be called. So the handball on Dier would still be called.

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah, they can modify the instruction if they want. The FA has done that kind of thing before ... most recently as they modified instructions on VAR procedures throughout its initial season. Something has to give on the handball rule, IMO. The EPL is flat out embarrassing themselves with their current path.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Not news, but with the early Premier League match behind the Peacock paywall, I’m watching Borussia Dortmund. It’s the first time I’m getting an extended look at Gio Reyna. Holy crap! Great vision and incredible composure on the ball, not just for a 17 year old. Period. With him and Pulisic and Sargent and McKennie pulling the strings on the attack, the US is going to be dangerous for a while. Now if Berhalter can get the defense straightened out...

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... and Gio has really improved a ton even since last spring. His fluidity and quickness in decision making are noticeably better over the course of just a few months. He's a remarkable talent.

Speaking of Pulisic ... he was finally healthy enough to see the pitch for Chelsea today. He's wearing the No. 10 for a Big 5 team in the Premiere League. NEVER thought I'd see that happen for an American player.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
American International Matt Miazga has been sent out on loan by Chelsea again. He signed with them in the January 2016 window and made 2 appearances that season. He’s been loaned out every season since, first to de facto Chelsea farm team Vitesse in the Netherlands for 2 seasons, then a half season at Nantes in France, a season and a half at Reading and now to Anderlecht.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Miazga developed a bit of a backbone at Reading, so maybe after this spell away he can either find a spot on Chelsea's bench or find a home somewhere else. He's solid now, and still retains the ability to move the ball crisply. He's just a little bit under EPL class, and there's no shame in that.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
ESPN+ has picked up broadcast rights to the Scottish Premier League. The contract isn’t final yet so broadcasts aren’t not expected to start until after the international break.

The deal did not get done. Bad news, with Celtic-Rangers as the first march after the break on Saturday.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The deal did not get done. Bad news, with Celtic-Rangers as the first march after the break on Saturday.
Good thing the club extended my online subscription to Celtic TV to account for the Covid-shortened season. Not sure when that deal runs out, but at least I'm good for this derby.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Good thing the club extended my online subscription to Celtic TV to account for the Covid-shortened season. Not sure when that deal runs out, but at least I'm good for this derby.

From what I’m reading, the individual club streaming rights were a stumbling block. If they can make more money individually than what ESPN was going to pay the league, it doesn’t make sense to switch.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
From what I’m reading, the individual club streaming rights were a stumbling block. If they can make more money individually than what ESPN was going to pay the league, it doesn’t make sense to switch.
Which means that the problem, once again, boils down to Celtic and Rangers having vastly different revenue models from the rest of the league. The Old Firm dilemma ... the SPL can't exist without out them, and nobody else can exist in the long run with them in the league. The SPL is basically doomed ... it's just a matter of when.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Another young American is headed to Europe. The Philadelphia Union have sold midfielder Brendan Aaronson to RB Salzburg, effective January 1, 2021. It’s a $6 million fee with another $3 million in possible performance add-ons. There is also a sell-on fee of 10-20%. It’s the largest ever fee for an American coming out of a MLS club academy, topping the $5 million that Chelsea paid for Matt Miazga.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I watched Union play the other night against Toronto and I was surprised how much Aaronson has matured. He's freaking good now. Jesse Marsch has a pretty good history shepherding guys from MLS into that Salzburg side, so that's a good fit for the kid.