• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020-21 Premier League Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Brentford are up! First run in the Premiere League, first time in the top flight since the weird post WW2 era. Current Villa manager Dean Smith built the bones of this program, and Thomas Frank has carried it on. They believe in high-incident rate football and play an aggressive game all over the pitch. Not sure they have the roster quality to stick around long, but they won't be boring ... which is great.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
In League One, Blackpool win the promotion playoff, 2-1 over a Lincoln City. They were last in the Championship in 2014-15, finishing at the bottom of the table and then suffering another relegation the following year.

In League Two, Morecambe beat Newport 1-0 on a penalty in the 107th minute. It will be their first time in League One, they’ve been in League Two since gaining admission to the Football League in 2007.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Spurs are closing in on signing Antonio Conte as their next manager. He led Inter to their first Serie A title in 11 years but left after facing cost cuts to the squad.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Spurs are closing in on signing Antonio Conte as their next manager. He led Inter to their first Serie A title in 11 years but left after facing cost cuts to the squad.
I think Conte would be a strong hire for Spurs. They are still largely built around Pochettino's structure, and Conte's counter-punch thing isn't too far removed from that.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I saw a report that Conte to Spurs is off
I saw that too, although an Italian media outlet is reporting that he’s still interested but is looking for guarantees on a “technical aspect”. Meanwhile, speculation has moved on to Ajax boss Erik Ten Hag.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I saw that too, although an Italian media outlet is reporting that he’s still interested but is looking for guarantees on a “technical aspect”. Meanwhile, speculation has moved on to Ajax boss Erik Ten Hag.
Pretty sure the guarantees he's seeking involve a consistent transfer budget. And knowing Spurs, he's probably not getting the answers he wants.

Ten Hag is a very, very good technical manager. Not sure he's really ready to be an EPL manager since his job at Ajax is so very structured.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The 6 clubs that were part of the Super League agreed to a combined £22 million settlement and agreed that any similar transgressions in the future will be met with a £25 million fine and a potential 30 point deduction.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
That seems like an awfully small amount for the level of insult and outrage. Less than 4 mil per team.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Scott Parker is leaving Fulham to take over at Bournemouth.

Jamie Vardy has become part owner of the Rochester Rhinos. They haven’t fielded a team since 2017 but are the only non-MLS club to win the US Open Cup. They last competed in the USL. They’re also part owned by David and Wendy Dworkin, who are also part owners of the NBA Sacramento Kings. They started life as the Rochester Royals in the late 40s.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Scott Parker surprised the crap out of me by doing a really, really good job at Fulham. Not the most thoughtful of players, but he's been a savvy manager.