• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 NHL Entry Draft

Hum, that's close to my expectations for KK but apparently we shouldn't draft those in the top 5.

All I am saying is AL has way more expectations to meet , #2 pick is a hell of a consolation prize who
might be better down the road

I hope he goes to the right team and a team moves up with a framework in place

Tons of pressure for a winger to lead a team

Enough with the crap league stuff. Lafreniere has proven himself against top players in the world. The kid is legit. I take him over Byfield.

Now what’s the deal with this German kid that some are getting excited about?

High skill, highly dynamic.

The only time I've seen him play is the WJC, but European leagues are already hard to judge. Even moreso is the German league, a league that isn't known for being a hockey hotbed. For me, it'd have to be one of those things where I'd have to watch him play 30-40 times to properly understand. I'll defer my opinion on him to Button, Boisvert & the scouts who do it for a living.

With that said, don't blink. Germany's coming. Germany is slowly building a half-decent hockey program with a fan following. The first time it really struck me is when they held the World Championships in Germany a few years ago and the crowd there was absolutely fantastic. Add that with higher interest in hockey, the 2018 Olympics where they were a minute away from beating the Russians, you see a superstar like Leon Draisaitl playing alongside the best player in the league, Moritz Seider was taken early last year, Tim Stutzle has a lot of fanfare.

Anybody who takes Lapierre with a high pick has a gambling problem.

Too many concussions at too young an age. Has gotten 3 since February of 2019 and hasn't played since mid-November after getting his third one. One in Feb, one in October and one in November. I always get really worried about players who get repeated concussions like Joey Hishon.

Lapierre's an excellent player. Imagine if Danault was better at pretty much everything, but at a younger age. That's +/- Lapierre.

With a late first, early second, yeah I'll take that risk. But a top-12ish pick? Nope, sorry, can't do it.
MB is a gambler though.

As for Lafrenière Vs Byfield...

It's not clearcut to me that Lafrenière is going to be better than Byfield for one simple reason: Lafrenière's 10 months older. A year ago, Lafrenière was in the exact same spot as Byfield was in the 2019 WJC: He was a depth forward who, when he was on the ice, had a minimal impact.

What makes it really hard to evaluate between those two is that age difference. It's almost to a point that you have to evaluate Lafrenière from a year ago to Byfield this year, but even then, that isn't quite fair either. And if I had to say who's better between the two in that example, I'd take Byfield.

Someone argued with me that it was "obvious" that Lafrenière is better and will be going #1. I think that, more likely than not, he will be taken #1 overall. But I'm sorry, but unless you're watching a Crosby/McDavid-esque player, there is nothing obvious about evaluating 18 year old hockey players. Too many variables to take into consideration.

As for Lafrenière Vs Byfield...

It's not clearcut to me that Lafrenière is going to be better than Byfield for one simple reason: Lafrenière's 10 months older. A year ago, Lafrenière was in the exact same spot as Byfield was in the 2019 WJC: He was a depth forward who, when he was on the ice, had a minimal impact.

What makes it really hard to evaluate between those two is that age difference. It's almost to a point that you have to evaluate Lafrenière from a year ago to Byfield this year, but even then, that isn't quite fair either. And if I had to say who's better between the two in that example, I'd take Byfield.

Someone argued with me that it was "obvious" that Lafrenière is better and will be going #1. I think that, more likely than not, he will be taken #1 overall. But I'm sorry, but unless you're watching a Crosby/McDavid-esque player, there is nothing obvious about evaluating 18 year old hockey players. Too many variables to take into consideration.

Excellent post and a big variable is who is drafting #1

Does Anaheim replace Getzlaf with Byfield

If its Jersey do you take Byfield to play with smaller skilled forwards

Maybe I am wrong but I get this MacKinnon vs Drouin vibe about it.

IIRC Drouin was the much better player at the WJHC but was older.

Draft year stats.... 105 points in 49 games for Drouin
75 points in 44 games for MacKinnon

I have a major soft spot for the province of Quebec, I am a native son. I want to see Montreal get another Lafleur, a Beliveau, a Richard.

I want to see them get Lafreniere. I just do.

What's wrong with that? Its just right imo.

Last edited:
I have a major soft spot for the province of Quebec, I am a native son. I want to see Montreal get another Lafleur, a Beliveau, a Richard.

I want to see them get Lafreniere. I just do.

What's wrong with that? Its just right imo.
byfield/lafreniere could be like wickenheiser/savard all over again. Would they dare make the same mistake twice?

@Habsy For what it's worth, I was listening to my guy Simon Boisvert on the radio this morning and he believes there isn't a big gap between Lafrenière and Stutzle.

Should be interesting to follow in the next few months.

@Habsy For what it's worth, I was listening to my guy Simon Boisvert on the radio this morning and he believes there isn't a big gap between Lafrenière and Stutzle.

Should be interesting to follow in the next few months.

Did he mention Dyrsdale or Perfetti ?

Top 10:
1. Alexis Lafreniere - LW
2. Quinton Byfield - C
3. Lucas Raymond - LW
4. Tim Stutzle - C/W
5. Alexander Holtz - RW
6. Marco Rossi - C
7. Jamie Drysdale - D
8. Cole Perfetti - C/W
9. Yaroslav Askarov - G
10. Anton Lundell - C

Best thing that can happen is one of those top seven picks is the goalie which would burn a spot if we end up in the 8-9 slot.

We would have zero business needing a goalie

Top 10:
1. Alexis Lafreniere - LW
2. Quinton Byfield - C
3. Tim Stutzle - C/LW
4. Jamie Drysdale - D
5. Lucas Raymond - RW
6. Alexander Holtz - LW
7. Marco Rossi - C
8. Cole Perfetti - C/LW
9. Jake Sanderson - D
10. Yaroslav Askarov - G